Is the Modern Pitching Wedge Really a Wedge?

Is the Modern Pitching Wedge Really a Wedge?

• Yes

Votes: 48 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 53 52.5%

• Total voters
Then if that is the case, what makes it 45*? What makes that number more wedge like than setting it at 50* or at 44*?
simply the result of the force applied. 45* is that dividing line. Kinda like how water boils at a set temp.

simply the result of the force applied. 45* is that dividing line. Kinda like how water boils at a set temp.

See, but water boiling comes at a set temp, I dont see how that is relative at all. If you could only play shots with certain lofts that came at 45* and higher, I could see it, but that is simply not the case. That is why in my opinion it is clearly dependent on the person using it.

i now want a black sabbath stick

I bet someone could arrange that for the $$$
I need to keep my eye's open for one of the Iron Maiden Staff Bags.

Er ummm, to stay on topic, ummmm...a PW is a Jigger (sorry, that's all I got. I know really helpful :D :D :D)

You mean it doesnt look like a blade wedge. Because even my sets back in the 80s had wedges that were cavity backs. To me that is like saying that Burner 2.0 irons dont look like irons because they have a cavity back.

I guees that is how i look at it but , i dont know of any company who makes game improvement cavity back wedges unless they are already part of a game improvement cavity back set of clubs. Most wedge sets from any company are blade like not cavity backs, to my eye a 44* or 45* Pw in a game improvement set of irons is nothing but a 10 iron, thats the way i see it.

I've done a skimmerrooo on this. Has anyone made an argument for a 'loose' standardisation of lofts and lies between manufacturers? Tough deal to broker, I know, but it might help the amateur moving from an one set to another. Not as much of an adjustment.

I would have to say that a pitching wedge is a pitching wedge if you play it that way. It's how you hit with it is really what makes the club. For instance if I was chipping and used my 9 iron, I would call it my wedge cuz of the way I was swinging it. Would this be right??

My set has a 49* wedge, so yes.

I think it is impossible to buy an off the rack iron set without a pitching wedge. I would say a wedge would start above 50*.

Didn't want to start a new thread since this has been discussed before... but having been out of golf for the past three to four years... MAN... the loft's are crazy now....

My Tommy Armour 845 Stripes have a PW with a loft of 47 and a 9 iron loft of 43..... I want to upgrade my irons sometime...

Now I understand why some sets start with a 5 iron... because it is much closer to the loft of an older 3 iron.... I love hitting my 4 iron.. always have no matter what set I have owned in the past... but the Wilson Di11's have a four iron with a loft of 21.5 which is basically just like my 3 iron in my 845 set.. which is 21 degrees loft.... so I'm probably not going to like hitting that club much.. so I'll end up with a hybrid 3/4...

and the PW/GP will really be like my old 9 iron and PW.... The Wilson GW is a 46 loft... so I would keep my 52 degree and 58 degree... and though it would appear that I would have 4 wedges... truthfully it would be three....

Plus I don't think I want my 46 degree GW to be that big.. I would want something more traditionally sized and shaped... and probably at a 47 degree.. guess I'll have to get a SCOR wedge there... then sell the Wilson GW...

Anyway, not a rant... I was just a bit shocked.... I knew lofts had been lowered... to help sell distance irons... but I just hadn't noticed how much... I'm so out of touch.

If it has a "P" on the bottom of the club to me it's a pitching wedge. I only use my pitching wedge on full shots and don't pitch with it is it still a pitching wedge?:confused2:

If it has a "P" on the bottom of the club to me it's a pitching wedge. I only use my pitching wedge on full shots and don't pitch with it is it still a pitching wedge?:confused2:

Agree the "P" gives it away.

The modern pitching wedge is really a 10-iron, based on the loft and bounce of the modern pitching wedge in most sets. The modern Gap wedge is closer to a true wedge.

Oh God, one of the threads I am least proud of has risen forth from it's grave.

The modern pitching wedge is really a 10-iron, based on the loft and bounce of the modern pitching wedge in most sets. The modern Gap wedge is closer to a true wedge.

If the gap wedge comes after the pitching wedge couldnt we just call it an 11 iron? What defines a true wedge in your opinon? Some modern golf ball's have 5 layers and dual dimples is this a true golf ball? Or does it need to have a wound core and hard shell with smooth round dimples.

Answer is simple... Stop giving arbitrary names and numbers to irons/wedges and simply list degrees on the clubs. Problem solved

If the gap wedge comes after the pitching wedge couldnt we just call it an 11 iron? What defines a true wedge in your opinon? Some modern golf ball's have 5 layers and dual dimples is this a true golf ball? Or does it need to have a wound core and hard shell with smooth round dimples.

I know this discussion is not really relevant to anything, but discussions about useless information helps kill time...kinda like baseball statistics. hehe. When the wedge was invented, it really was a different club design compared to a typical iron. Had high loft, high bounce angle, very heavy, and the weight concentrated at the bottom of the clubhead. With modern cavity back irons, the distinction has become somewhat blurred, because many of these traits are featured throughout the iron set.

I think it is all about the name. Doesn't matter too much of the loft.

I think its pretty much irrelevant, its just a label so you know which club goes what distance

I have a set of Wilson Di11s and the GAP wedge is 46 degrees! does it bother me - no, its just a label for the club, but I do know "roughly" what distance it will go.

It may as well start at "a" and go from there.

well the any PW is a set is really more of a 10 iron than a wedge anyways.... so I'd say even an older PW with 48 or 49 degrees of loft isn't a wedge

if your PW is a wedge, what's to say your 9i or 8i isn't a wedge too

My 9 iron is the same loft as a lot of your pitching wedges at 42 degrees. Can I call it a wedge?

You can call it whatever you like. How about IceWedge? That's catchy.

If we're having a loft pissing match, then I guess I win or tie because mine is 47°. The only thing is - I don't really use it as a wedge. It's a full swing club for me.

it's not a wedge though, because you don't buy it individually

you get a PW when you buy a set of IRONS

real wedges are purchased separately, they don't come in 7 or 8 packs

THis arguement doesn't hold up at all. Wedges are a specialized iron.

What if I buy a 4 iron seperate from my set of irons? Is that a wedge too?
it's not a wedge though, because you don't buy it individually

you get a PW when you buy a set of IRONS

real wedges are purchased separately, they don't come in 7 or 8 packs

Oh that's right. Thanks for the clarification.

Back