Is there a club in your bag that has seen some “resurgence” lately..?

jpgolf

“JP”
Reaction score
Handicap
Is there a club in your bag that, even though it may have been in there for some time, has seen a “resurgence” of late..? Perhaps you find yourself “going to it” more often… or, feeling more confident with it…?

For me it’s my 5 hybrid. I’m finding myself using it more often - and feeling more “at ease” with it. A little odd - because I’ve had it for quite some time.

3w for me... It's more that my driver has been great it lately, which has allowed me to be a little more aggressive trying to reach in 2. Best case I'm on, most cases I've got an easy chip, worst cases I'm still inside 130 yards.

I put my Cobra Biocell 5 hybrid back in my bag because my Mizuno CLK started becoming a hook monster. Why did I ever take 'ole blue' out of my bag in the 1st place? Consistently straight and I always seem to get 165-170 out of it, like clockwork.

I lost my 5 iron a bit, it’s going the same distance as my 6.

But my 3H has more than made up for the distance as of late.

Attachments

• IMG_1442.png
    IMG_1442.png
    456.5 KB · Views: 3
SW.

LW used to be my club of choice for most shots from 100 yards or less. But, I'd been struggling with all wedges for a little while. When I switched to Glide 4.0 wedges, with LW being the Eye2, full-swing LW became an issue. Just wasn't comfortable. Because that Eye2 LW has been absolutely sensational for me out of greenside bunkers, I committed to keeping it.

Hence, the 4.0 S-grind 56° SW needing to step (back) up.

And, it has. I've quickly become very accustomed to it. I briefly tried a 4.0 Eye2 SW at 54°, but I experienced the same full-swing issues with it as the 60° LW.

But as for the 56° S-grind, once again?

Results. I'm all in.

At the end of last season it was my PW around the greens. I used to reach for my 60° without thinking, but my PW was regularly taking that spot instead of being a predominantly full-swing club.

"A" wedge has chipped in once in each of the last 3 rounds. Our of 5 attempts with it, the other two were kick ins. ( I missed more greens, thats just how many holes that club was appropriate) That pretty much assures that when I have a lot of green and a few feet of rough to cover, it will get pulled.

Driver. After struggling with it and hitting less than off the tee on a lot of par 4’s, I have been making progress and have started using it on tougher holes with greater success rates.

My opponents get a stroke on a few of the holes where I stopped hitting driver which put me in a losing situation. Putting driver back in play has helped even the odds.

I use all my clubs pretty regularly. I have been using my 8 iron for some hopping lately due to soft mushy ground around the greens. Just making sure I get face on the ball and enough zip to release a little, but that won’t last long when mowing starts in earnest and everything forms up a bit.

I went way down the Odyssey 7 rabbit hole and decided that the CH neck was king. After numerous changes in grips & weights in my NP2 something finally clicked and it feels better than ever. I think Scotty got a little nervous being in the spare bag. We’ve agreed that he can come out on special occasions.

Lately I've been using my #2 Ironwood a few times. Mostly for lower flying/running knock down shots up to 130 yards. It's in my bag right now while on this trip.

To make room for it, I take out my #5 Ironwood.

Back in the day it was my 190 yard, carry club. I was better than average with it. These days it's about 140 yards of carry.

I've had it for a few decades.

Back