Is there a good at home method to determine correct lie angle?

As a start, and only a start to get you in the ballpark would be to use an online fitting tool like at PING.com. The basis of what they do is the static measurements of height and wrist to floor. This is only a start. PING had me at three upright based on static, but working with a fitter using that as a base, we worked it to one up with a swing tweak. If I went three up, I'd be moving the ball too far left.

Easiest is to get a dry erase or marker and draw a straight line on the ball. Place the ball such that the line is running vertically and straight up the middle of the back of the ball. Hit the ball. If you're too upright the line that is left on your club face will point left. The opposite is true as well.

I think lie angle should be adjusted to fix ball flight and not neccasarily to be flat at impact. Flatten it to move ballflights right and make it more upright to move flight further left.

I think lie angle should be adjusted to fix ball flight and not neccasarily to be flat at impact. Flatten it to move ballflights right and make it more upright to move flight further left.

From my experience Path and face angle and even ball position are a far more efficient way to fix ball flight. Trying to do so with lie angle adds unnecessary spin leading to loss of distance.

Plus it's good to get a baseline of what you're doing at impact.

Am I correct in assuming this would be for a right handed golfer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am I correct in assuming this would be for a right handed golfer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep, opposite for lefties just like slices and hooks.

The best method is for a player to observe his golf shots. For example, if toe strikes are common then lengthening the club and, or, making the lie angle more upright might help move the impact point from the toe more towards the center.

Back