Is there anyone you just don't play well around?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you have someone you play a round of golf with that you just never seem to play well around? Maybe a friend, brother, etc.? For me until recently it was my dad. I just never played well when sharing a cart with him, I think I tried too hard to play well and impress him. These days I just enjoy the round and time spent on the course with him and it seems to have worked itself out.

No, but there used to be, when I was a kid, one uncle with whom I always seemed to play my best.

People don't usually annoy me on the golf course.
Maybe I'm too self-absorbed.

You mean other than myself?

I can impressively play great or terrible with anybody, so thankfully that's not a thing I have to worry about

Sure, anyone who stops to let me play through. Or the cart girls when they are watching. I almost hit the last one that stopped out in front of us.

My father in law seems to bring out the worst in my game. Not sure why.

I tend to play better with golfers who aren’t as good as me. Worse with ones who are better. Which is strange because I’m the complete opposite in all other aspects of sports, music and life in general. Would rather interact with a superior musician, leader ect. Not so with golf. I try to raise my play and all it does it tighten me up and get me off my game.
One guy in particular who is a long baller and plays with us on occasion. I kill him around the greens but he bombs it 50yards or more past me with driver. He’s holding a wedge and I’ve got a hybrid in. Driver being the weakest (distance wise) part of my game and the strongest of his it frustrates me to no end. He’s not even a great iron player really. Misses a ton of Par 3s. But wow he good with that Driver off the tee. Sets up his whole game. I aspire to do the same.

I was the same as @jdtox , There was something about my dad I just knew I wasn't going to play well. I'd say about a year or two ago I started playing better around him which is definitely a nice change!

A guy I work with. I've only played with him a couple of times but scored pretty high for me both times. 103 and 95. Not sure what's up it's not a particularly hard course or anything.

Going to play with him in the morning. We'll see how it goes.

The ones that don't give gimmies.

I have a buddy who’s a ton of fun to play with, but it seems like whenever we’re in the same cart we both play terrible. I know that’s not the case, but our most memorable rounds have featured some terrible golf so it’s become a running a joke

Not bad, but I tend to raise my game when playing my brother-in-law. He's a 4 cap and I've beaten him straight up three out of the four times we've played :cool:

I am not sure there is any one singular person.

Would make the argument that I putt the worst when around @JB but most of the time we're on bermuda and it's more the green than him hahahaha - I talk myself into some REALLY stupid lines on bermuda.

I don’t really have a cooler per se… I can’t **** the bed in front of everyone.

No human has anything to do with my play - except me. It's my issues to resolve by myself, my instructor, and YouTube vids... lol

I am not sure there is any one singular person.

Would make the argument that I putt the worst when around @JB but most of the time we're on bermuda and it's more the green than him hahahaha - I talk myself into some REALLY stupid lines on bermuda.
My course is bent…sounds like your making excuses

My course is bent…sounds like your making excuses
The first time I putted on your course, I was coming off a 23 putt monster performance on my home course... and was baffled by the first 7 of 8 putt lines I saw there.

Maybe you ARE the problem.

Not anymore. I can play poorly or great in front of anyone. I used to put pressure on myself to play better when playing with certain people.

The first time I putted on your course, I was coming off a 23 putt monster performance on my home course... and was baffled by the first 7 of 8 putt lines I saw there.

You putted great at my course, Champions Bermuda wasn’t a problem for you…

Last edited:
You putted great a my course, Champions Bermuda wasn’t a problem for you…
That's the first time in a while I've had a really strong putting performance on bermuda...

...and only one variable changed from the last time I putted there :ROFLMAO:

Could be. Or maybe you are a home cooking golfer. 😂

That's the first time in a while I've had a really strong putting performance on bermuda...

...and only one variable changed from the last time I putted there :ROFLMAO:
Standing next to @JDax and looking like a great putter is not the same challenge.

I kid Dax, I kid 😬

Back