Is there such a thing as “too long” for you? Iron Edition

maybe? if the bottom end of the bag goes too far, that could make me rethink the wedge setup. i suppose that's not a deal breaker, just not what i'm accustomed to.

I have a distance that I like to see my irons go and if it got to far away from that I'm not sure I'd like it. My current set I picked up probably half a club which was fine but I'm not how I would gap my set of suddenly I'm hitting 170 yard 9 irons.

I’m good with 150’ish 8 irons, how ever that gap works out.

Yes. While it might be cool if my 4 iron goes 220 yards instead of 200, if the resultant gaps in controlled circumstances mean my 8 iron goes 160, that means the tradeoffs I'm making in terms of spin & launch not only makes me more susceptible to fliers, but for the fliers to be worse. A good fitting can help produce more consistent launch conditions, but at some point I believe irons can produce enough distance-inducing conditions that part of what we're trying to get from irons --going the controllable and known distance as consistently as possible -- diminishes.

Being a short knocker. Not really looking for all out distance. I just need a set that gets me 150-155 carry at the first iron to 100 yds carry out of my set GW. I look for adequate launch, spin and over a 40* descent angle from my longest iron. Then I prefer hybrids from 165 up to my fairway woods. After 150-155 irons peder out for me. Also the shaft length of say a 5i being 38”+ gets too long for me to wield.

Yes. I plan on getting my next set of irons in retro loft. That and learn to chip/pitch a lot better. I have more wasted strokes on the short end than the long end.

Too long for irons, not really...the only concern for me would be gapping down near the PW. If that is flying 150y for me, it might be too long to gap into my wedges, yes I could get another wedge to game to fill the gap, but that's where my mind goes...I can go as far as the top of the bag, but concerns near the wedges would be the biggest question

Yes. While it might be cool if my 4 iron goes 220 yards instead of 200, if the resultant gaps in controlled circumstances mean my 8 iron goes 160, that means the tradeoffs I'm making in terms of spin & launch not only makes me more susceptible to fliers, but for the fliers to be worse. A good fitting can help produce more consistent launch conditions, but at some point I believe irons can produce enough distance-inducing conditions that part of what we're trying to get from irons --going the controllable and known distance as consistently as possible -- diminishes.

this is right where aim at. 4 iron goes about 225, Pw is 135, 9 iron 150, 8 iron 165. When they are on it’s a thing of beauty. But when I’m not striking well… you better wear a hard hat if playing in front of me.

My T300's fly high, very high. And long. They really are a bit much. I really have no need nor desire to hit an 8 iron 168 yards, but that is what I have been doing all summer long. I would be more than happy to go back to hitting my 9 140, my 8 150, my 7 160 etc as I did with my old forgings way back when, when I could really play this game.

Back