Is this a good idea regarding lessons?

I was thinking maybe I should play 10 or so rounds and collect data on GolfPad then go see an instructor and show him the data and go from there VS taking lessons right away. I was listening to a podcast and the guy mentioned a good way to lower your score is to track your data to see where you need improvement. I'm guessing this would apply to lessons pretty well, what do I know though!

More rounds or less? Not at all just go straight to an instructor?
I was listening to Debbie Doniger a couple years back and she was talking about how she sees golf students learn. In her experience:
-those that did not grow up gaming, were more inclined to listen to "verbal instruction" and "physical"change suggestion. Even hands on the body to show the expected outcome.
-Those that were gamers were more inclined to listen to changes made around ball speed and launch angles from looking at say Trackman.

But the most important thing for me was that the swing should only be changed because of non functional/poor ball flight or if it causes injury.

I was trying to change my swing because of what others said about my swing. They were not helping with my ball flight.

Since that revelation, My informal handicap is falling from improved ball striking and better consistency. All from changes to improve ball flight.

I'm not a gamer.

Nah I'm done.
My post did read a bit harsh which was not my intent. It's tough to assess your question because we don't know what you shoot on average. If you are coming back into the game after shooting in the low 80's, then the data might be more valuable. If you're trying to break 100 then I don't think an instructor would see the data as being meaningful.

Where are you now, AND What are your goals? If your goal is to become a complete player, get to single digits, have a great short game, and be able to drive the ball well, then you will need to know your tendencies over time, but it depends where you're coming from.

If you're a single digit solid player and you want to get better, it might make sense to get some stats to start out, but if you know you have an over the top slice, giant hook, block or are a short hitter with poor contact, etc...start with getting your full swing in order (seems like your short game is salvageable) and when you play golf just go out and play for now without getting stats. Less thinking out on the course, and just play golf to have fun. Once your move is in a place that you're confident in swinging on the course and are starting to score a little better, then you can start to take stats and really figure out where to make new changes. But get that full move right and work around that (because your SG is already solid...normally, I'd say get the SG robust and work on the full swing, which will allow you to still go out and play golf).

Where are you now, AND What are your goals? If your goal is to become a complete player, get to single digits, have a great short game, and be able to drive the ball well, then you will need to know your tendencies over time, but it depends where you're coming from.

If you're a single digit solid player and you want to get better, it might make sense to get some stats to start out, but if you know you have an over the top slice, giant hook, block or are a short hitter with poor contact, etc...start with getting your full swing in order (seems like your short game is salvageable) and when you play golf just go out and play for now without getting stats. Less thinking out on the course, and just play golf to have fun. Once your move is in a place that you're confident in swinging on the course and are starting to score a little better, then you can start to take stats and really figure out where to make new changes. But get that full move right and work around that (because your SG is already solid...normally, I'd say get the SG robust and work on the full swing, which will allow you to still go out and play golf).

My official is still single. 9.6. Woo.

I am not a single digit guy. I can play there, inspired, but it’s a one and done thing. But when you play 12 times a year, (and almost missed 2019 entirely) 2018 will still remind you that you could once play golf. While also reminding you that whatever TF you are doing out there in that nice field is NOT golf.

You probably don't need a lot of rounds or any.

Depends on what you want to do

Is your objective to rework your swing or to take what you have with your limitations, both physically and golf swing-wise, and just kind of improve what you already have.

I took the start-over approach, now take lessons once a month in one session for 2 hours - I find 2 hrs more helpful and less hurried than one hour. Get a lot more done. I drill and play for the next month, then have a lesson and tell him what's happening.

That's full swing. For putting, I have another instructor that I go to maybe twice a year. Then I attempt to schedule a refresh of Aimpoint.

Exactly. Those kinds of stats are for folks who are near scratch who are likely looking for refinements to shave-off a couple strokes which could mean the difference to win a club championship or qualify for some tour. I play with a guy who is a 22 capper. If he put red dots on a map of the golf course where every drive and 2nd shot landed for the past month (he plays every day) the course would be predominantly red, except for fairways and greens. I don't know what that would tell this particular guy because his swing simply needs to dramatically improve starting with the fundamentals.

His practice swing is OK, not great, but at least somewhat flowing and smooth. His actual swing is abrupt, far more OTT, and radically tense. I overheard his instructor when they were on the range saying to him "why don't you make your "real" swing the practice swing, and your practice swing the real swing?". I thought that was an ingenious reversal of thought. :)

Two thoughts on this.

1. Good idea from the standpoint that you walk in knowing your stats. Good for the instructor to have more information. Provides a (not the) point of dialog and investigation of what will help the most.

2. Instructors will tell you many/most students come in asking for more distance or trying to tell the instructor what will most benefit their game--and they are wrong! IMO a good instructor, like a good doctor, is well equipped to diagnose your game quickly by observation, testing and Q&A. A bad instructor will try to squeeze you into a mold of what s/he thinks a good golfer should be, what their swing should look like, and a limited set of what they know to teach.

Learning and improvement are maximized when you have both a good instructor AND a good student. Any other combination? Not so much.

An even worse instructor will try to sell you a gadget to fix what you want to learn a technique for.

You go to our club pro and describe what your problems are, you come out with a list for Santa!
That’s why hardly anyone uses him.

Before taking lessons the student must learn how to learn. The exercise is pointless if the student is not a good learner. The art of learning is listening, looking, imitating and asking questions, lots of questions.

Back