Is This a Hole In One?

Why would courses do this? Raising the cup is idiotic. I understand the idea but the pool noodle works much better & actually gives you a shot of holing it.

But to me that is very different than this. That has the opportunity to go in, this does not and is just resting against what would be the hole.
I suppose if someone saw the ball come into contact with the raised cup and come to rest either against it and bounce off a bit, maybe the situation is different. But, if no one saw that, you don't know if it stopped ever so slightly short.

Anyway, from the USGA on holing out:

MODIFICATIONS TO THE HOLE; NOT REQUIRING THAT PLAYERS HOLE OUT

A number of questions have been received that relate to modifying the hole so that players no longer need to reach into the hole to remove a ball to minimize the possibility of exposing golfers to coronavirus.

These have included some courses setting holes so that the hole liner remains an inch or two above the surface of the green while others have placed various objects into the hole or around the flagstick (such as foam pool noodles or plastic piping) so that a ball is unable to fall to the bottom.

While in all of these instances, the ball is not holed per the Rules of Golf (Rule 3.3c), a round played under these conditions will result in an acceptable score for handicap purposes using the most likely score guidelines (see Rule 3.3 of the Rules of Handicapping).

While the most likely score procedure is intended to support certain formats of play where the player is not required to hole out (such as in match play when the player’s next stroke is conceded or in four-ball stroke play when a partner picks up), it is also temporarily in effect where the above described safety measures are being used.

When using most likely score, the player should consider the number of strokes most likely required to complete the hole, and determine whether the ball would have been holed or not. Most likely score is at the player's best judgment and should not be used to gain an unfair advantage.

I would be more inclined to count this as opposed to a shot that hits the cup at a screaming pace and winds up 40 feet away. With local rules in effect that consider a ball that strikes the cup to be holed, I vote that it’s a 1 on the card. Maybe call it a “Cup in one” 🤔

That was my initial thought. If the local rules are calling hitting the cup, holing it, then it has to be, right?

For March 25, 2020 yeah it is. But according to the eyes of the USGA nope.

Then again we're all starting a "new normal" going forward so may this is what hole in one's will become.

Yes it is because the USGA issued temporary rules that a ball hitting an exposed cup like that counts as being holed.

Sitting like that? Yeah, that's an Ace. maybe an Ace with an asterisk, but it goes on the card as '1' in my opinion. 3" away? nope. hell, maybe more than 1" away and it's a nope, but sitting on the cup like that? Yeah, I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt and drink their beer! :ROFLMAO:

That was my initial thought. If the local rules are calling hitting the cup, holing it, then it has to be, right?
It's not a local rule either, it's a temporary USGA rule. It's officially official.

Unfortunately no for hole in one, but under the current adaptations it should go down as a one on the scorecard. Not a hole in one, but an eagle (assuming it’s a par 3).

Another casualty (of very little consequence in the big picture) of this terrible situation.
If we were playing cups like this, the folks in my points game would change their tune real quick if I take 8 points for that. They'd all be arguing about how there was no way to see if it hit the cup from the tee box. Those old men are serious about their $12.

unfortunately, not to me.

Off topic, but are people entering handicap scores on courses that are doing this? My course has pool noodles in the cup so ball doesnt go all the way down but still in the hole.

Tough luck, but no sir. Good story though :)

My course has the raised cups, other day I banged my 3rd shot from like 100 yards off it, guys gave me a 3 1/2 on a Par 5. Lol.

Has to jump the gate and bottom out to count for a hole in one!

2A30BD93-DC9F-4B40-B5F6-2DE8A65C8E45.jpeg

So for those of you saying no, how do you make a putt?
You'll see a putt hit the cup. Unless someone sees the tee shot hit the cup and come to rest against it or just a bit off, you don't know that it hit the cup, or stopped just short.

But to me that is very different than this. That has the opportunity to go in, this does not and is just resting against what would be the hole.

Unless you can play it like you're stymied, the ball will never go in the cup. So how DO you score that, whether it's the tee shot or your sixth? I side with the "score it as a one, but do not count it as a HIO" group. I've had too many lipouts and rollovers to believe it would have gone in with full certainty.

Since it was not my shot. I say no. If it was my shot.. It would be really hard to convince myself not to count it. I guess it would require an * and you would have to explain it every time.

ughhh don't give me nightmares! My club has simply been putting the cups in upside down, which makes them very shallow but still below the surface.
I would say no & this will probably happen to me now.:cautious: Now I like the idea that @Jmk202 stated above that his club is doing. If it was like that then yes I would count it becasue the ball drops

You'll see a putt hit the cup. Unless someone sees the tee shot hit the cup and come to rest against it or just a bit off, you don't know that it hit the cup, or stopped just short.

Depending on distance, I'd say you'd be able to see a ball rolling towards the cup and hit it. Which would then change the direction that the ball is rolling right?

No, not in my opinion...

The course I'm playing Saturday is doing this as well. I'm sure there will be a huge number of birdies recorded, because the ball hits the cup. However, I would not record a HIO because of the raised cup; should be recorded as a birdie.

Additionally, I don't believe rounds played under these conditions should be recorded as offical rounds in GHIN (or the like).

I would say it does count. Our course has the cups inverted so it would have went in. If it was a putt it would have counted.

Will that picture go "viral" ? :oops:

Hmm...hard to say. I think it would default have to be no.

If it was going fast enough to go in, I'd have to imagine there would then be distance between the ball and the cup here. In order for it to be resting on the cup still, you'd have to infer that it would have potentially rested on the lip anyway, even if the cup was down, and because of that cannot default give a hole in one.

I'd actually be more apt to call it a hole in one if you could somehow confirm it hit fairly square and only bounced off an inch or two.

That's a bad beat. If it hit the cup then it could have gone in but it could have also lipped out if the cup wasn't elevated. In fact, the ball could have done a tiger woods bounce in and out.... who knows. No hole in one, too many unknowns. Now if it had gone in the elevated cup... it would have been the greatest hole in one of all time.

If we were playing cups like this, the folks in my points game would change their tune real quick if I take 8 points for that. They'd all be arguing about how there was no way to see if it hit the cup from the tee box. Those old men are serious about their $12.
I’m going on the premise that the ball was resting on the cup. I believe that what clubs are doing who raise the cup it if it hits the cup it’s holed. In my club there is a $1000 hole in one, that our club insures. So this would be a heated topic if that occurs.

For all of those saying no, how on earth would you ever advance to the second hole? Stroke limit on every hole?

For all of those saying no, how on earth would you ever advance to the second hole? Stroke limit on every hole?
I believe my ruling would get you to the next tee. One on the card for scoring purposes. But not a hole in one.

I believe my ruling would get you to the next tee. One on the card for scoring purposes. But not a hole in one.

Does that mean I can write all pars on the card, even if they aren't pars? :D

No, unless someone was up by the green and seen it bounce off the cup then I'd say sure, give it to them.. is that wrong?

Back