Is This a Hole In One?

This is evil! I’d say no for me. If my playing partner hit that and wanted to count it, I’d give it a yes.

Has to be a slam dunk to be an ace apparently.

I wouldn't want my first one to have an * next to it, like Barry bonds home run record

I say count it but treat it like an ace on a par 3 course which we know aren’t real HOIs.

So I played Sunday to raised holes. Had a blinder, especially on the greens. I didn’t record the score though with the NCGA as I felt it wasn’t a true round. Reading some of the replies here, sounds like I should record the score.

Does that mean I can write all pars on the card, even if they aren't pars? :D
You can write whatever you want if you and I aren’t having a match. I encourage you to post those even par and better scores, as well. But when we have a match we will be sure it will be on a course with properly sunken holes.. 😇😂
I love vanity handicaps... that is the one an opponent carries.. 😛

You can write whatever you want if you and I aren’t having a match. I encourage you to post those even par and better scores, as well. But when we have a match we will be sure it will be on a course with properly sunken holes.. 😇😂

How would you advance passed the first hole?

Point I was trying to make earlier-- everyone is in the must fall in the cup camp, which means everyone is taking max on every hole.

If you and I were having a match and that is the shot you hit, I would consider it holed for our match purposes.

I'd count it!
Fight me!!

Point I was trying to make earlier-- everyone is in the must fall in the cup camp, which means everyone is taking max on every hole.
I see what you are saying now

Exactly

My friend was about 3 inches away on Saturday. I was watching for a change in direction for if it hit and bounced back or if it was rolling and suddenly stopped. I never saw it and figured it stopped just short. After hearing about the pool noodle I wish we would do that. It also takes out the oh that would have gone in vs that would have lipped out arguements.

Brutal but no...

For all of those saying no, how on earth would you ever advance to the second hole? Stroke limit on every hole?
My thing is you cant guarantee if it would have dropped. If it had the speed to drop, physics would dictate that there should then be space between the two. Resting on it means it had JUST the right speed to do so, which could have rested on the lip.

Follow the "ball-don't lie" rule - flip the cup so it rests inside the hole, re-tee, and if it goes in it was a hole in one :cool:

My thing is you cant guarantee if it would have dropped. If it had the speed to drop, physics would dictate that there should then be space between the two. Resting on it means it had JUST the right speed to do so, which could have rested on the lip.

I dont disagree with you, but how do you score putting then?

Depending on distance, I'd say you'd be able to see a ball rolling towards the cup and hit it. Which would then change the direction that the ball is rolling right?
In some instances, yes.

I dont disagree with you, but how do you score putting then?
Putting just has to hit the cup. Again though, if there is enough force for it to make contact to go in, then there would be space between the ball and cup, even if it wasn't much at all. The group your with would have to determine whether you're playing that it just has to contact anywhere, or have to be deemed a putt that would have fallen. i.e. if the putt is on the low side and JUST nicks the raised cup, it probably wouldn't have dropped, so do you count that? makes for weird times.

I have played 3 different courses in the past week.....None are using this cup raising. Strictly speaking. It is not a HIO. Not per the RoG.

you also can’t guarantee putts/chip shots would have dropped, but with the new temporary ruling all shots hitting the exposed cup are considered to be made.

The way I am looking at Golf right now, is every time out is practice, and bonus. As well as a good time for testing. Score isn’t important right now.

nope, no way to tell if it would have fallen or stop like a putt hanging over the edge

I would say yes!

Heartbreaking no in regards to telling people I made a hole in one. But if I saw it bounce off the cup I would write a 1 on the card :ROFLMAO:

I would have to agree with a no on the “hole in one” but if the ball did hit the cup, then it’s scored as a one.

Back