Is Tiger Woods The G. O. A. T.

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Handicap
If he finishes his career with 100 wins and only 16 Majors, is he or isn't he G. O. A. T. ?

He may have already accomplished that and the rest has yet to be written. :unsure:

I think he is. He may not finish with every record locked up nice and tight. The thing is though, it’s been proven time and time again that Tiger playing golf is good for golf. He draws fans and attention like no other since Arnie. Arnie made sponsorships a big deal, Tiger proved a player could make millions before swinging a club. So maybe he doesn’t walk away from Golf with more majors than anyone else, but I think what he’s done for the sport puts him in a category all his own.

My opinion is even if he never wins another tournament he is the greatest. But it’s too close to get into a pissing contest over.

Even if he never sets foot on a course again, I think he still had to be considered the greatest of all time. It’s not even so much about the records and such. It’s more about how he influenced the game and a whole new generation of players.

I believe he is. When Tiger is in the field it’s just more interesting. He is good for the game. Question is who is gonna pick up the torch when he sets it down? Or will someone take it while he is still there? Sports in general need that player. After MJ retired the NBA was kind of boring for a while.

For me no. I think Jack still is. I really understand anyone who believes Tiger is. I also get people who think it could have been Jones, Snead or Hogan. Maybe it’s where I came into this world versus younger folks. I saw Jack close to his peak

The greatest is always a debate and nothing will change that as long as we are still people. IMO he already put together the greatest decade in golf history and he is at the very worst the 2nd best golfer of all time. If this encore performance he is putting together includes 2 or 3 majors and 7-10 more wins against the deepest field of players in history that is certainly another feather in his arguments cap. My opinion is that his big goal this year is to win Olympic gold which would be an amazing story in and of itself.

Certainly the greatest of his era and maybe overall. He has been good for the game. Let me make a case for what might top Jack and Tiger. Imagine a player winning 12 majors and 65 wins somewhere in the future. I'd say that even thought the numbers are not as good that unlikely scenario might make this person the best. My rational is that video and equipment are so good now that it hard to sustain a true performance advantage over the field. this is the reason I think era you played always comes into the conversation.

Yep

I wish we could see a 72 hole match of Jack and Tiger in their primes and just settle it once and for all. Short of that it is just an argument of opinions.

The problem with being the greatest of all time is that nobody gets to play for al time. It's tough to prove.
That being said, it's not hard to make a good argument for Woods.

I wish we could see a 72 hole match of Jack and Tiger in their primes and just settle it once and for all. Short of that it is just an argument of opinions.

I'm not sure that a 72 hole match would do it.
I think we'd have to give them concurrent careers.

Yes....lock it up! Ha

I think he is the Greatest right now, and he's not done yet (y)

That would be really awesome to see but it wouldn’t settle anything. Any given week we could see a winner beat the best in the world and you might not even know his name.

He already is if he walked away today IMO.

Tiger will not have as many majors as Jack, but I would still classify him as the GOAT.

He changed how golf is viewed and brought golf to entirely different level. The competition now, I believe, is much better throughout the PGA then back when Jack was playing.

Sega’s Tiger Woods golf might be the greatest video game ever as well. Tiger Vision for the win.

Yes... And Imo its not even much of a debate

IMO he is the greatest because of the records and play but for transcending from being a golfer to a global icon.

One of the stats that I don’t think gets brought up very often is that Tiger won 9 Vardon trophies, the best scoring average for the year. Jack didn’t win it a once. He also won 2 more money list titles than jack.

I am Tiger guy and that may be because I am young but I think he is the GOAT.

Back