Is wearing sunglasses a regional thing?

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve been doing college tours with my youngest daughter since last Friday and I’ve observed a strange lack of sunglass wearers at Holy Cross, Boston College, and Boston University. We’ve had cloudless, beautiful, sunny days and these college tours were about 90 minutes outdoors during the middle of the day. Yesterday at BC I walked past at least 1,500 students outside and only one had sunglasses on. At Holy Cross I saw Zero except for another dad on the tour. Today at Boston University, which is very urban, I must have walked past 2,000 people and I only saw about 7 or 8 with sunglasses and the only ones under the age of 30 wearing them were clearly into fashion.

Saturday we toured the University of San Diego in the early afternoon under the same sunny conditions and over 50% of the students/people were wearing sunglasses. Do people in New England not wear sunglasses?? I thought this was very strange but I told my daughter she needs to study optometry and live in Boston because the cataract surgeries will be guaranteed employment over the next several decades. :cool:

Last edited:
If I am outside, and intending to be outside for a while, there's a very good chance I'll have sunglasses on.

Seems to be a mixed bag around here, but probably more wearing than not wearing. Weird.

I always try to wear sunglasses.

I haven’t noticed, all I know is I need sunglasses. I don’t know if it’s because I have blue/green eyes, but I’m a really bad squinter without them.

Always wear if sunny. Better for the eyes!

I live in the Northeast. I wear them pretty much all the time that I am outside in sunny weather regardless of what I am doing.

I almost always wear sunglasses, unless I'm golfing.

I wear a lot of sun glasses, yet not always when I golf, I used to live in California and I would agree that it's a huge population there that would as well. I will say when I was in college I don't recall wearing sun glasses a lot while I was on campus, just another thing to put on and take off.

It MIGHT just be a college thing between classes in conjunction with a regional thing. I would assume that those same people who were not wearing sunglasses during a school day would wear them out if they intended to be outdoors for any extended period of time.

I’ve been doing college tours with my youngest daughter since last Friday and I’ve observed a strange lack of sunglass wearers at Holy Cross, Boston College, and Boston University. We’ve had cloudless, beautiful, sunny days and these college tours were about 90 minutes outdoors during the middle of the day. Yesterday at BC I walked past at least 1,500 students outside and only one had sunglasses on. At Holy Cross I saw Zero except for another dad on the tour. Today at Boston University, which is very urban, I must have walked past 2,000 people and I only saw about 7 or 8 with sunglasses and the only ones under the age of 30 wearing them were clearly into fashion.

Saturday we toured the University of San Diego in the early afternoon under the same sunny conditions and over 50% of the students/people were wearing sunglasses. Do people in New England not wear sunglasses?? I thought this was very strange but I told my daughter she needs to study optometry and live in Boston because the cataract surgeries will be guaranteed employment over the next several decades. :cool:

That seems crazy.

Saturday we toured University of San Diego in the early afternoon under the same sunny conditions and over 50% of the students/people were wearing sunglasses. Do people in New England not wear sunglasses?? I thought this was very strange but I told my daughter she needs to study optometry and live in Boston because the cataract surgeries will be guaranteed employment over the next several decades. :cool:

That's my turf and we certainly wore sunglasses in the 1960s. Sometimes indoors to hide the bloodshot eyes.
Next time I drive by one of the campuses, I'll make a point to notice.

Sunglasses whenever remotely close to being needed. Its probably a millennial thing (not wearing them)

That's my turf and we certainly wore sunglasses in the 1960s. Sometimes indoors to hide the bloodshot eyes.
Next time I drive by one of the campuses, I'll make a point to notice.

Boston University is very urban as you know and we walked along Newbury near Fenway Park just before noon today and nobody, student or not, was wearing sunglasses except for one very fashionable woman who was carrying a Louis Vuitton bag. I was definitely an outlier with my Maui Jim’s but I have blue eyes and always have sunglasses with me if the sun even has a chance of shining.

I wear them religiously if i am outside. I have as many sunglasses as I do pair of golf shoes

Almost all of the time I am outside I will have sunglasses on. However when I play golf I don't like to wear them.

I have some sunglasses I will wear mostly while driving or to the lake etc. I dont wear sunglasses to play golf. I have tried and it creates weird depth issues and feel like it causes vertigo.

Boston University is very urban as you know and we walked along Newbury near Fenway Park just before noon today and nobody, student or not, was wearing sunglasses except for one very fashionable woman who was carrying a Louis Vuitton bag. I was definitely an outlier with my Maui Jim’s but I have blue eyes and always have sunglasses with me if the sun even has a chance of shining.

I grew up in walking distance from Fenway Park, and when I was a boy, there were lots of day games and one dollar bleacher tickets.
There were also twenty cent subway tokens if I didn't feel like walking.
I could go as often as I wanted. It was a nice time to grow up.

While I don't know if sunglasses are a regional thing, I do wear them mostly when driving (not a golf ball).

I really think the sun is "brighter" out west. I lived in Maryland for a summer, and when I returned back to the West where I have lived the rest of my life, I was practically blinded. My unscientific mind thinks it might have something to do with the higher humidity in the air back East diffusing the sunlight a bit.

I only wear them when I'm outside.

As someone who wore glasses the first 25 years of their life, I wear sunglasses pretty much anytime I'm outside and it's remotely sunny. As my eyes start to fade a bit, I've been leaving them off at the golf course, mainly so I can see where my ball went.

I rarely wear them here in the UK. Nearly always on a sunny holiday.

I like sunglasses for style, but they kind of annoy me and the sun never bothers me. Must be my dark brown eyes.

My sunglasses are prescription. I've got a pair in my car that I wear when it's sunny. I've also got another pair in my house. Those go with me where ever I go and I'm usually wearing them.

Australian , and sunglasses are de rigeur here , glare and long summers . As for me Iam a 60 y o. Who loves his sunglasses and works a mix of in and outdoor predominantly… and does not have glasses . Contacts or eyes issues at all. And who has worn top quality sunglasses for all working life ….
Fully agree re eye issues in those that choose not too whilst being fashionable the impaired vision from damaged eyes will latter be prevalent.

Back