Is Wind a Deal Breaker for Golf?

I guess it depends upon how much wind we're talking about, but generally I don't mind unless it's cold.

I play an Oceanside course with a pretty exposed back 9. You don’t play golf in the afternoon in Monterey without wind. I’m fine with it. Adds to the challenge.

In El Paso, Texas it is a fact of life. Would not play much golf if I ditched on wind days.

What kind of wind are we talking?
Because I’ll be honest some peoples wind is different than others.
0-15 yeah I play.
15-25 it’s gonna depend on the course, some have lots of trees so wind is knocked down.
25-and above, nah bra

Give me a colder day with no wind over a warm day with wind seven days of the week. Maybe that’s where I live that I’d rather do that since the cold doesn’t bother me much. I hate the wind sooo much. Not just for golf. Just hate the wind in general.

Of course I will still play while it’s windy. Wouldn’t get half as many rounds in if I didn’t. Doesn’t mean I enjoy it as much though

Depends upon the intensity. Anything more than Beaufort Scale 4 is a deal breaker - that's 16 mph sustained winds. 50 degrees is my lower limit if it's sunny. 57 if it's cloudy. Rain? I'll play in drizzle if it isn't windy. If it's windy and raining, nope. Warm and breezy I don't mind it. I like it a little breezy actually.

I go out of my way to play in high wind, especially if the ball is bouncing a bit. I love not hitting stock shot after stock shot

If its warm out I will golf in wind and while it makes it tougher and more challenging I don't mind, we have a short season in MN get out while you can. Now if it is chilly, no thanks makes for a miserable round.

Living in N Texas, wind is a fact of life. I will play in it, depending on temps. But if it gets over 25 mph, I may say, "Uh, no." Depends.

Two years ago..

Worst weather I played in was in Ft Worth, playing the last 2 holes it was 32F, starting to sleet with a 25 mph wind. We finished.

But I've played in worse winds. Played with my former instructor in a 3 club wind, must have been 35-45 mph and gusting, and he was teaching me to take a bunch of club, hit it high and let the wind knock it down. That was fun. Hit it low, high. Haven't had that kind of wind in a few years.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I hate playing in wind. It just aggravates me, especially when it doesn't do what it's supposed to.
Especially when the weather is only "okay" - I avoid playing if the fan is turned up at all.

Anyone else the same way?

I live in OK. If I was afraid to play in the wind, I'd have to find a new hobby.

I generally don't mind the wind as long as it's not cold and windy. Even then, if I"m playing with others, I'll still do it, just won't by myself.

No, not really. With the caveat that I think a course should be designed around if it’s a windy area.

When wind gets strong enough to blow me off balance when swinging it is time to go home.

If it’s heavy wind in the forecast I’ll play somewhere cheap... I wouldn’t want to book a tee time somewhere for a 100 plus bucks and play in severe wind. However, my dream is to experience links golf in savage weather. 13 years ago I took a trip to Ireland and played Ballybunion and Lahinch and brought 500 bucks worth of rain hear with me. It never dropped below 70 and was sunny the whole trip. Luckily, my cousin lives less than 5 mins from Ballybunion so staying with family helped offset the heavy cost of the green fees.

I get way worse in the late fall or wintery months. I'll play in calm 45 degree days 10 times out of 10. Add in more than 6-7mph of wind and I am probably telling you to have fun without me haha

When I was in CA we didn't have many days with much wind but now that I'm back in Minnesota, 6-7 mph would be one of the calm days. :) This graph shows the wind around here but what it doesn't show is the calm part of the day is at night. It's rare that the wind doesn't kick up to well over 10 mph during the daytime.

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 8.54.27 PM.png

This is the graph from where I lived in N. California.

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 9.01.38 PM.png

Nope, it does aggravate me a lot and often does do what it’s supposed to do but I wouldn’t play much in Kansas if I let the wind stop me

Wind doesn't bother me. Cold is the only condition I really dislike on the course.

Playing solo? Yes, nowadays it is for me.

With my HS kids? I adore it. The ability to flight the ball around here is a MUST in our spring season, and wind happens in OK and it’ll kick your ass if you don’t work in it. I drive my kids nuts because for years I did play in it and can, quite well.

I'm more tolerant of the wind during hot weather, but I still usually won't play if it's blowing 20+ mph. I hate cold weather, so when you pair cold with wind, I'm out - I'll be at home in my sweats and slippers with the heater turned up.

I'll deal with it if the wind kicks up when we're already out on the course, but I won't make a tee time on a day when high winds are forecast. We golf year 'round and the saying is "There's too many nice days to golf on bad days".

I have intentionally gone out during hurricanes which were wind and not rain....Just to see what crazy shots could be hit. Have traveled far away and you take what you get with the weather when you are 3000 miles away. And a few times it was CRAZY...

I don't like it since I don't usually shoot great rounds. However, with that said I think it makes me a better golfer and forces me to play more shots then I normally would creating the path to using those shots in other rounds.

Not a big fan but it's common around here like @Space Bandito said. Tomorrow running a tournament and its supposed to be around 32mph for most of the day. Not much you can do about it. Been set up for weeks. If someone just called me and asked me to play tomorrow I'd probably pass. At least its supposed to be low 70s tomorrow

To be honest, it doesn't really phase me, am completely used to it. As long as you play for it, and remember to club up or down then it's not too much of an issue. My problem tends to be underclubbing into greens and coming up short, is hard to bring yourself to take a 9i into a 120 yard green sometimes!

Here in the UK, it can be pretty common so it doesn't bother me at all - now if it is wind and rain then I might reconsider
To be honest, it doesn't really phase me, am completely used to it. As long as you play for it, and remember to club up or down then it's not too much of an issue. My problem tends to be underclubbing into greens and coming up short, is hard to bring yourself to take a 9i into a 120 yard green sometimes!
Try flushing a 5i from 150yds and still coming up short!

Back