Is Wind a Deal Breaker for Golf?

Yeah we were playing Sunset Hills. It was a bit ridiculous at times. Into one of the par 3s all 4 in our group had to hit second shots because the wind just took the ball and threw it 40 yard to the right OB. When its blowing in the 20s its not horrible. But gusts in the high 30s and 40s are just not fun.
Are you a member there? I thought about joining, as it's 5 min from my house, but a friend who used to belong there told me he left because of the pace

Are you a member there? I thought about joining, as it's 5 min from my house, but a friend who used to belong there told me he left because of the pace
Not a member, I set up a tournament for my club there. Like a lot of other private clubs they allow outside groups on Mondays sometimes. I'll be honest the pace with my group was pretty bad yesterday. A combination of no one knowing the course and the wind being as bad as it was made for the last group finishing in about 5 hours. There were members that went out after us and they were a bit behind my last guys too so I'd say they may not be the quickest.

I used to hate playing when it was windy and I still do to a point, but playing Bay Area peninsula golf courses it’s always windy in the afternoons....
Have a really good friend who is also a damn good golfer.... he helped teach me a knock down shot.... I’ve not perfected it but I’m way way way better now than 10 years ago....
So, if windy I don’t prefer it, but I’ll still play

lol, Welcome to Texas.....its windy
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the OP. Where I live now in California, the wind isn't an issue very often. So seldom, that I welcome it for the *practice*. But if you live in Texas, you play in the wind or you don't play.

Here in the UK, it can be pretty common so it doesn't bother me at all - now if it is wind and rain then I might reconsider

Try flushing a 5i from 150yds and still coming up short!
Been there....the old 550 yard par 5 directly into the teeth of a 25-30 mph wind, you know it's going to be a long long day :LOL:

If I worried about the wind, I wouldn't be able to play half the time here on the prairies.
Mind you my handicap would probably be lower if I didn't play in the wind.
I'm pretty good at keeping the ball low when its windy. Sometimes I will use my 2 iron rather than driver when hitting into the wind. I always hit it low with that club.
I probably use irons off the tee more than anyone I know. Playing in the wind is probably a factor why.

Hole 3 of my home course is a 176 yard par 3. Due to the wind and over the course of the summer I used from a 50 degree to a 5 iron on this hole depending on the wind :D. So really the course is different a lot due to the wind. Makes it fun and challenging.

Last edited:
Not a deal breaker. I just know I'm in for a long round. In my mind I think of it as an extra challenge because I know I'm about to hit shots that I don't normally try to play.

No issues with wind other than it making me second guess club selection.

Wait for the putt at the :38 mark.

Golf.com

There is wind and then there is wind. We have a course locally that always has a steady wind blowing in a southeasterly direction in the afternoon. The 18th hole is a par 5 that is always 1-2 clubs longer because of this head wind. While it makes some holes longer, it's at least predictable. The tougher wind is the one that is constantly blowing up and down and changing directions. You pull what you think is the right club, set up to the ball and now the conditions are completely different.

I actually really enjoy windy days. It’s fun. Makes me think a little and be creative. Do I score the best? Eh. Haha. Hit or miss. But I do have a ton of fun doing it.

I'll be honest, I hate playing in wind. It just aggravates me, especially when it doesn't do what it's supposed to.
Especially when the weather is only "okay" - I avoid playing if the fan is turned up at all.

Anyone else the same way?
Hey Eddy! Check this out.... Rustic Canyon was my home course for 5-6 years when I lived in Thousand Oaks CA. Check out the posted link in the article. :eek::eek::mad:

https://apple.news/A9atWImcoSiW5P-aC1xgmVA

Been there....the old 550 yard par 5 directly into the teeth of a 25-30 mph wind, you know it's going to be a long long day :LOL:

I was watching a golf telecast where a golfer had posted a schizophrenic score of 40-30 for a 2 under par 70. David Feherty announced that he had once shot a 28-50=78! My first thought was, "Wow! How hammered did you get?" Turns out it was on a links course in Ireland with the standard 9 out and 9 in layout. They had 50 MPH winds behind going out, and against them coming in. They routinely drove par 4's going out, but coming in they couldn't do anything!

Wait for the putt at the :38 mark.

Golf.com

Hey Eddy! Check this out.... Rustic Canyon was my home course for 5-6 years when I lived in Thousand Oaks CA. Check out the posted link in the article. :eek::eek::mad:

https://apple.news/A9atWImcoSiW5P-aC1xgmVA

Just came to post about this article. This is just a few miles from where we played Monday. Fortunately for us Sunset is a bit protected with the hills and trees whereas Rustic is just wide open in the middle of a valley that acts like a freakin wind tunnel.

@Space Bandito check out my previous post..... you’ll get a kick out of the article
Rustic is the host of my favorite putt story ever - and it happened on a very windy day. I'm sure I've told this story here before, but what the hell.

I had a buddy in town visiting. It was Nov 2015. I was living in Marina del Rey at the time, and we had mad a huge golf weekend plan that wasn't going to be hindered by a little wind.

We drove to Rustic Canyon (a 60 mile drive from MDR) early that morning and the wind was HOWLING. We walked into the pro shop and the kid behind the desk told us that nearly everyone on the books had canceled. Gusts were reaching close to 80mph in Happy Canyon. He asked us if we wanted a raincheck, which of course we declined. We were there to play!

The kid in the shop actually let us go out for free as he assumed we'd play two or three holes and quit. No chance. My buddy crushed one 415 yards on number 1. No way we're quitting now.

We made it to the 6th hole, which is a cross wind, 210 yard par 3. I hit a hybrid toward the mountain on the right, which carried 60 yards to the left and came to a rest on the left green side fringe, just slightly long. I knew I needed to keep the ball on the ground, so I pulled my putter.

Faced with a huge headwind AND and uphill putt I decided I was going to give it everything I have. I swear to you I hit this putt harder than I have ever hit a putt in my life. And right at instant the putt went off the fringe, the wind stopped! The ball went flying 15 feet past the hole only to have another epic wind gust smash into it, spinning it around and sending it screaming into the hole for birdie.

It was a day I won't forget, and just another reason I think playing in the wind is a hoot.

Here in the UK, it can be pretty common so it doesn't bother me at all - now if it is wind and rain then I might reconsider

Try flushing a 5i from 150yds and still coming up short!
I played about 4 years ago with steady winds at 35-45 and gusting up to 60. We all teed off on a par 3 and hit bad shots so we re-teed. I ended up hitting a soft high fade driver and landed just behind the pin which was 196. It was probably a 255-260 carry with no wind.

Haha, I came into the thread to post the same article, just read it earlier. Sounds like they struggled a bit in that wind!
I’d say they struggled.... the video linked I counted 7 putts... article had one player 12-putt the 18th :eek:

I was watching a golf telecast where a golfer had posted a schizophrenic score of 40-30 for a 2 under par 70. David Feherty announced that he had once shot a 28-50=78! My first thought was, "Wow! How hammered did you get?" Turns out it was on a links course in Ireland with the standard 9 out and 9 in layout. They had 50 MPH winds behind going out, and against them coming in. They routinely drove par 4's going out, but coming in they couldn't do anything!
Yup, it can be a bit like that on the links courses, can be tricked into thinking the course is a walkover after 9 but then having your lunch money stolen on the back :ROFLMAO:

Can't say I'm actively playing a round when it's windy, but have had some breezes and yep ill play. Breezy and cold with some spitting rain... Probably at home.

I don't mind playing in the wind. Takes practice to understand wind direction and how far to throw a shot out left/right, or club down and play it under the wind. I know plenty of people who think the same as you do though @Canadan can't say I blame them, pretty sure we would all love to play in 80 degree no wind weather year round. LOL

Back