Is Wind a Deal Breaker for Golf?

Most times wind isn't too bad here in central cali. But it can get pretty windy in spring during April and May. I have played in 25 MPH and gusts up to 40. I remember lining up a putt and a wind gust knocked me off balance. Had to set up over again. And I weigh about 240. The worst was one of those really windy days. A huge eucalyptus tree had a giant branch break off that probably weighed 500 pounds about 50 yards from me. When the round was over, my body was sore from fighting the wind so much.

Today was pushing the line of "too windy." I never once thought of not playing, however, not even when the driving range fell down.

PXL_20210119_190544550.jpg

Wind gusts were recorded at 93mph.

We played 27 holes over two courses - the first course closed as we were on the 9th hole due to the damage at the range. The second course felt even more windy. There were several times where I actually hunkered down close to the ground because I felt I might blow away if I remained standing.

This wasn't serious golf by any means. I will never expect to have 380+ yard drives (or 50 yard drives, for that matter) ever again. On the 25th hole, I hit my 3 iron well, four times to reach the green. It's a 320 yard hole.

We laughed, and lost a lot of balls. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Here's a video of my friend Josh trying to hide from the wind in the worst place imaginable, before we decided to give up on this particular hole.

Today was pushing the line of "too windy." I never once thought of not playing, however, not even when the driving range fell down.

View attachment 8989255

We played 27 holes over two courses - the first course closed as we were on the 9th hole due to the damage at the range. The second course felt even more windy. There were several times where I actually hunkered down close to the ground because I felt I might blow away if I remained standing.

This wasn't serious golf by any means. I will never expect to have 380+ yard drives (or 50 yard drives, for that matter) ever again. On the 25th hole, I hit my 3 iron well, four times to reach the green. It's a 320 yard hole.

Here's a video of my friend Josh trying to hide from the wind in the worst place imaginable, before we decided to give up on this particular hole.

Okay, you get credit for hardcore golfer of the year, and it's barely just begun! :LOL: That's some wicked wind!

Sustained heavy winds can be pretty demoralizing. Toss in some cold and other weather and it’s not much fun. At home I stay in and play another day. If I’ve travelled to a destination and get that weather I’m playing.

I disliked playing in the wind due to my very high ball flights. Worked on getting the ball mid to low and now I do not mind windy rounds

We were playing in 20-25 mph wind yesterday - I didn't have enough sense to try it, but one of the guys playing with us (single digit) was clubbing up and hitting some really sweet knockdown shots into the wind. Like an idiot, I was going up 2 or 3 clubs, throwing them up there and fighting the wind like crazy. As much wind as we've had here lately, I guess I should learn that shot and start using it.

View attachment 8989255

You are crazy man. Which course lost the range? I canceled the tournament I was supposed to run at Los Robles today on when I saw the forecast of Gale Force Winds.

a little windy is fine but some random spring or fall days when its blowing over 20mph I won't go voluntarily play on my own. I won't ever miss my permanent weekend tee times bc of wind, but if its during the week and im considering playing 9, then I won't if its too windy

I’ll play in the wind. It’s kinda fun except when cold. When cold I might avoid, but otherwise I’ll play.

I will say playing multiple days in a row with the wind just beating you up can be tough mentally and physically.

The only thing wind stops for me is data capturing! Showing 190 yard drives is a no go! I’m an internet golfer, I have an image to uphold!!! 🤣

I don’t get to play as much as I want to so I’ll easily take a windy day round of golf.

It’s forecast to gust to 30 in my area today. I’ve been hitting the range and not playing recently so I may go hit the exec course up the road from me. Why not

Doesn't really bother me overall. It's time out on the course that I enjoy. I'll play in rain, wind, or even sometimes snow.

I like the challenge with the wind. Working on different shots that are needed with the wind is actually a fun time for me. Now if it's howling I'll pass but most times I'm game to play.

Reactions: mig
if its cold then it matters. if its a nice day, i love playing in the wind

As long as the temperature is north of about 45 degrees I will play in pretty much any wind. At 45 and below very windy makes it super cold and not as enjoyable. I like the wind I enjoy the challenge.

Not play in the wind? Where I'm at, a steady 20+ is not uncommon so if you don't play in the wind then you're not going to play. That's like asking someone from Seattle if rain is a deal breaker ;)

Gusts? I'll still play. Continuous wind? Depends on how strong. 15 mph is tough but playable. Once you hit 20+, it can get dicey as to being able to play into the wind.

Wind is not fun, but I will play in anything when I have an opportunity. I have to take advantage of when I can.

I can deal with 10-15mph wind, it isn't ideal but I can manage.

We start getting 20,25+ then yeah I'll happily play Golf another day.

I'll be honest, I hate playing in wind. It just aggravates me, especially when it doesn't do what it's supposed to.
Especially when the weather is only "okay" - I avoid playing if the fan is turned up at all.

Anyone else the same way?

Yessir. I assume we have a similar distaste due to the high trajectory (my PW comes in at 55* descent+) and high spin, although with the proper equipment, mainly in the TourB RX ball, I don’t hate it with the same passion as when I played the V1x.

I honestly enjoy playing in the wind. It doesn't seem to effect my score as much as others I play with. I love watching the ball move 20 feet left or right in the air and the challenge of trying to judge it right.

25 mph or more and I'd rather not. However, if an outing is scheduled and it's windy, I'll make the best of it.

I've played much of my golf in Minnesota where it is windier than most areas so I'd say I'm an above average wind player. April is the windiest month and July has the lightest winds of the year but rare is the day where the winds aren't averaging 10mph by 10:00 am and often they are 15 mph. It was a bit easier to go low when I lived in the central valley of California as the winds are lighter there. Same goes for Florida where much of my golf will be played in the future. The really windy areas of the country don't have a ton of population but I played a lot of golf in the wind "belt" during college and it would wear you out by the end of a round.

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 9.16.19 AM.png

I don't mind the occasional windy round as it introduces a new challenge. If it's cold or wet then I don't want a lot of wind.. It just takes the fun out of the round

It depends on the temps that day. 25 mph winds in 80 degree weather feels totally different than even 15 mph in 50 degree weather.

Can't play much in Texas if you're afraid of a little wind. I won't say I enjoy it, but it does give me something to blame other than the fool holding the club. Its a bit of an equalizer, me thinks.

Last weekend I played in 28 mph sustained which was about a 3-4 club head wind, it was interesting at best.

Back