Is your bag optimized for production?

T2GRN18

Reaction score
Handicap
After watching the video from the Titleist Performance Institute with Dean it's made me really think about how my bag is made up. And is it optimal for my best scoring chances. I think it's close, but the upper end seems to be a little off.

Often we get fittings for a driver, irons, wedges, even putters. But how often are we fortunate enough to have someone really go through our bags and analyze what's there. I know many of us have had full bag fittings with the granddaddy and other amazing events. But even then did you feel like your bag was going to afford you the opportunity to score your best?

How do we know if it's truly optimal, and if I isn't what are you willing to do to get it that way.

That's a good question. I think mine is. At my level at least. I've got clubs I can get it close with , and clubs I can score with. It could probably be better. But my swing is a bigger factor than any club in my bag. I do try to keep any club I'm not comfortable with out of the bag.

Mines not in 1 spot, between my 4i and 3h too big of a gap. I ease off on the H for certain yardages and I don't always pull the shot off. I should really get a 4h in the bag and lose a wedge, but I really like carrying 4 wedges. I guess if I'm good enough with my wedges then a miss from my gap distance can be saved with a good wedge game around the greens. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

I don't think there is any way anything could be optimized now, but that's an indictment of my game. I like the concept from this morning's fitting video. Try and get irons suitable for your level, get a ball that performs well off it, and then tweak the top end to max out the ball's performance off the tee. I've never been fit for anything, but there's also a bit of understanding one's game where you can mix and match until you get something not too distant from optimal imo.

As time goes on, I find more and more that hybrids and I just don't get along consistently. I'm thinking of trying to get something like BB OS or King OS 4 & 5 irons as I just make more consistent contact with irons than hybrids. Sure, a good strike on a hybrid will give me more launch but there are just too many poor strikes to make it worth it for me.

I will say my is currently optimized as best as it can be. Until I work out the swing flaws I'm not sure I'll be able to truly say it's optimized, but right now I feel like I could benefit from getting the right shafts in the top of my bag. The Grandaddy fitting went a long way to helping me get where I am, but being wrapped up in the whole event itself, I think I left a little bit on the table in terms of shaft fittings for my woods & hybrid.

Mine is. Platinum fitting at Golf Galaxy gave me even gapping top to bottom based on the way I play. 3 different brands, mixed iron set (MPH4 3i/4i & JPX 825 pro 5-p) 4 wedges dialed in for scoring . Grips, shafts, lengths, lofts, lies gapping on everything from driver to putter. Missed shots are all on me.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

For the most part I think mine is. I went to a 5 wedge set-up PW, AW, 52, 56, and 60 to give me plenty of options around the green. I went with more forgiving options in the fairways and irons as well. It will be interesting to get a full bag fitting next month and see what changes are made.

I've never really thought about it like that before, I've tried to optimize via gapping and most likely shot scenarios. This is on my list of things to watch tonight, we'll see if it gets the wheels spinning :)

Is your bag optimized for production?

I think mine is close enough for the courses I play. Ive had the rep during a fitting ask about bag make up. I think as I learn to play more shots my setup will be fine

Last edited:
I think mine works good for me! It could be probably be improved but I'd need an expert!!

It's a great question and one that every serious golfer needs to ask himself and assess.

I think that my bag is built very well for my game with one exception at the top end. I currently ditched the 5i in favor of a 3 Hybrid which of course leads to me having a gap from 185 (6i) to 210 (4 Hybrid). I took the 5i out because with the exception of a 195-200 yard par 3 it's just a shot that I don't need in the bag and my new home course doesn't have any par 3's in that range unless they mess with the tees quite a bit.
Do I really need a 4H that goes 210 and a 3H that goes 220? Probably not but I find the hybrids see much more use overall.

For my game I think mine is good. I could dump the 4 iron and add a wedge but I seldom hit my wedges full so I like the 48, 53 and 59 set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think mine is. Made the decision early last year to only go with 1 fairway wood and add an extra wedge. I don't try to hit many par 5s in 2, so my fairway wood doesn't get much use. I decided it would be better to have tighter gaps with my wedges so I can have full swings with all of them. I think it has paid off. My money is made with my wedges and short game.

I think so, I don't have any major gaps anywhere and feel comfortable hitting anything in my bag really.

Mine is. There's nothing in my bag that doesn't have my 100% confidence from whatever yardage I am at. I've switch to 4 MD3 wedges and my driver is fitting for me based off track man and on course demo. Fairways woods are by my choice along with on course testing. When I replaced my hybrid with a 5w it was th last decision I was struggling with

For the most part I think mine is. I went to a 5 wedge set-up PW, AW, 52, 56, and 60 to give me plenty of options around the green. I went with more forgiving options in the fairways and irons as well. It will be interesting to get a full bag fitting next month and see what changes are made.

Yours will be later this year for sure

I've never really thought about it like that before, I've tried to optimize via gapping and most likely shot scenarios. This is on my list of things to watch tonight, we'll see if it gets the wheels spinning :)

I want to say yes, but I'm changing the bag around so who knows i need to watch the video

My gapping is good so it is optimized from that perspective. I think I xould certainly get better performance out of my driver and iron set with proper fitting. Those are both on my to do list in the next three months to a year.

For my home course, yes. I have all the clubs I need for the course I play most often. I do worry about when I go to other courses that the gap in the top end is going to haunt me. I'm currently looking at making some adjustments to the bag or at least having a couple fluid spots for different length courses.

After watching the video from the Titleist Performance Institute with Dean it's made me really think about how my bag is made up. And is it optimal for my best scoring chances. I think it's close, but the upper end seems to be a little off.

Often we get fittings for a driver, irons, wedges, even putters. But how often are we fortunate enough to have someone really go through our bags and analyze what's there. I know many of us have had full bag fittings with the granddaddy and other amazing events. But even then did you feel like your bag was going to afford you the opportunity to score your best?

How do we know if it's truly optimal, and if I isn't what are you willing to do to get it that way.

I'd game that bag any day, optimized or not!

I'm locked & loaded. ?

Trial and error, education, application and urge have all got me here. But it all works, yardage gaps, playability, forgiveness, confidence in my tools.

The rest is all on me and because of what was stated above, I know it.

my bag is just randomly thrown together and I work around what I have or don't have

I'm pretty set with my bag and it sets up well for my game (can't believe I just typed that!)

I'm pretty set with my bag and it sets up well for my game (can't believe I just typed that!)

If I'm being honest with myself, I could probably remove the 60 degree wedge, but I'm not sure what I would replace it with.

I pulled the hybrids out of my bag last year and replaced them with the long irons. I could really fly the hybrids but they were so inconsistent. I gained a bit of productivity there. I switched my 3w for a 4w, that has helped.

Not sure what else I can do now except practice my swing.

On my own, I've never been able to optimize production. Now that most of my bag is because of a fitting, I feel like it is.

Back