It’s time to allow shorts on Tour: Yes, I said it.

I totally agree with @Jman. I told my wife something very similar when the broadcast began.

Yeah. Shorts being allowed is long overdue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been in the anti-shorts camp historically, but got to admit that after today I don't have an opinion either way.

My main takeaway from this is that I never realized how awful caddies are for the game. They are completely unnecessary IMO.

It is so cool to see these 4 players in shorts, carrying their own bags, scoping yardages, miked up and just having a great time.

The PGA, key word is Professional, will never allow shorts in tournament play. Players must dress professionally.

Yes to both shorts and rangefinders. It’s long past time. If we’re going to lean on “tradition”, they should all be wearing jackets and ties and hitting wooden clubs.

I do like the look of pants but when it gets 90F and above and/or too humid, let them wear shorts. If they are carrying their bag, let them wear shorts anytime they want. Rangefinders? Yes.

I agree that in the pro ranks, tradition is pretty much out dated. That said, the pga can allow speedos for all I care.

Started thinking that way way back when Tiger's caddy showed up wearing shorts at tournament. The "Show Down" at some place. Williams refused to change into pants. Officials allowed Williams to wear shorts after Tiger threaten to take his game to the EPGA tour. Apparently wearing shorts was not that big of deal at that point.

I'm curious why you guys @MonroeBob1955 and @Misike want to make them carry their own bags. It was cool to see them doing it, and @ArmyGolf obviously isn't a fan of caddies, but he didn't outright say the players need to carry a 35 lb weight around for 4.5 hours.

So, why do you hate them??

I'm curious why you guys @MonroeBob1955 and @Misike want to make them carry their own bags. It was cool to see them doing it, and @ArmyGolf obviously isn't a fan of caddies, but he didn't outright say the players need to carry a 35 lb weight around for 4.5 hours.

So, why do you hate them??
If they were carrying they wouldn’t be carrying staffers so that’s nowhere near the weight. Also, caddies are part of the pace issue in many people’s minds.

100% agree. Time for jorts!

Yes please.

Shorts? Yes.

I'm torn on the caddies though. I'm not sure players should have to carry around their own bag every round. After all, they are playing for a decent chunk of money and I don't think it would be fair regarding the older players. Older players would be in a "disadvantage" compared to the young lads who are in much better physical shape. Should the older players be "penalized" because they get tired carrying around their bag? For the sake of argument, a player misses his shot because he is tired from carrying his bag, but if he wasn't carrying his bag he would've made the shot. Also note, carrying a bag can be both physically and mentally tiring.

I guess what I'm thinking is the game should reward players who can hit the correct golf shot, not reward players who have the stamina to carry a bag. Now, you can also make the argument that carrying the bag is part of the game. I'll stop rambling. Just thought I would play some devil's advocate.

Side note: I do like the idea of the players not having a caddie to bounce ideas off of. I think the golfer should have to figure out which shot he wants to hit without any input.

It's tough but big tourneys I think pants. Majors and players ... The Texas open or John Deere sure. A few grey areas like memorial... I wouldn't mind it. As I'm not looking at their legs.

If they were carrying they wouldn’t be carrying staffers so that’s nowhere near the weight. Also, caddies are part of the pace issue in many people’s minds.
I get that. I just don't think that the ability to carry a bag around all afternoon should have anything to do with who wins a professional golf tournament.

I was joking about them hating the players, obviously.

I get that. I just don't think that the ability to carry a bag around all afternoon should have anything to do with who wins a professional golf tournament.

I was joking about them hating the players, obviously.
It has an impact on all other levels though, no? They could bust out push carts. I’m here for it.

100% agree. It’s long overdue.

It has an impact on all other levels though, no? They could bust out push carts. I’m here for it.
They could, but why? You can make a rule to limit their time before each shot without making them carry or push a bag. Not having to do some of that stuff is part of being a professional in most sports, and caddies have been around forever. At the professional level it's supposed to be about the skilled endeavor of making golf shots. I don't care if or how someone carries a bag. Anyone can do that. It's probably for a thread not about shorts, lol, but I don't think the pace today had a lot to do with them not having caddies. I think they weren't putting as much time and thought into the shots. In a normal tournament format, with or without a caddie, they're going to spend more time on that when their careers are on the line.

Last edited:
Shorts definitely should be an option.

I think a temperature requirement (wet bulb so it takes humidity into account)

With that Range finders. If I see another caddy pacing off from the green I'll switch the channel. NBC and CBS have done a good job switching to the booth when caddy obnoxiousness is occuring.

There is only one reason I would suggest wearing full length pants, and it has nothing to do with tradition/decorum. It is for sun protection. I am surprised more of those guys don’t have skin cancer. I have had more surgeries for skin cancer than I can even count anymore, including head, neck, ears, face and arms. I wear long pants until it is simply too uncomfortable, because it is just one more area I can cover relatively easily.

And, absolutely yes to rangefinders.

Yes to shorts and yes to rangefinders.

Back