It’s Turkey Time!

Stryker

#NothingFeelsLikeAMizuno
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Gobble gobble gobble! Turkey season starts Saturday in Virginia. I love spring gobbler season. While I enjoy pretty much all hunting activities, spring gobbler is by far my favorite. It is not even the actual taking of a nice long beard for me though. I love to hear them gobble. Especially when I can call one up in close and he is gobbling all the way in and then blows up strutting around and drumming. They are such amazing birds and very smart.

Anybody else love going out and talking with these awesome birds? What kind of calls are you using in your area? I do use a diaphragm sparingly but I prefer a pot call. I unfortunately lost most of my turkey calls when I had a water leak in my basement. The only ones I could find was my box call which is fabulous for windy days or when you or the bird are down in a bottom. I have my barred owl locator too. I went yesterday and picked up a glass pot call you can flip over and it has slate on the backside. The guy hand makes lots of different types of calls and I also picked up a trough call which many turkey hunters have never evenheard of. I used to have a slate one, copper one, and aluminum one but the slate is really good for a bird that is getting in close because it has a nice soft sound. I will try and post some photos later. Show me what you are rocking for the long beard calling this year!

Back