It drives me nuts watching Bryson putt, but should his technique be illegal? This from Golfworld

ddstanford

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golfworld: One more thing about putters. Specifically, the armbar method that’s growing in popularity. DeChambeau, Matt Kuchar and Webb Simpson are among those employing it, using a long putter and putting with the grip running up your forearm. Says here it shouldn’t be allowed. I know they’re not breaking any rules, but wasn’t the whole point of the anchor ban a few years ago to try have guys “swing” the putter? The armbar method is exposing a loophole in the rule, which should be changed to something like: Only the player’s two hands may make contact with the grip of the putter.

Putting is hard. It’s hard if you armlock, it’s hard if you anchor. Why make it harder?! Too many rules! 😒

I think limiting putters to a maximum length of 38" is a good idea.

I thought the rules had a clarification and specifically mentioned that as long as the arm bar/lock didn't go above the elbow it's totally legal. Not positive on that though. Just what I heard on Golfchannel.

if it's not illegal, it's legal?

Putting is hard. It’s hard if you armlock, it’s hard if you anchor. Why make it harder?! Too many rules! 😒
We're on the same page RPP, putting is incredibly hard. Bryson's method looks awkward and uncomfortable as anything but he's become repeatable with it so why sabotage him and the other arm lock adopters. The primary reason it's even a thing is the powers that be sabotaged anchoring to begin with. I've never seen anyone make every putt with any method and I'm certain I never will. Way too much legislation IMO.

Last edited:
No, it shouldn’t be illegal. And neither should belly/long putters.

his putting looks so cringe worthy, stiff as a board. it pains me to watch any part of his robotic posture golf.

No, it shouldn’t be illegal. And neither should belly/long putters.
^ Cosigned. Outlawing anchored putting was another knee-jerk solution to a non-existent problem by the USGA/R&A.

^ Cosigned. Outlawing anchored putting was another knee-jerk solution to a non-existent problem by the USGA/R&A.
...and truth be told, truth in advertising should have required it to be named the "Some Anchoring Rule" as they banned some anchor points and not others.

They don't enforce it anyway so why even make it against the RoG.

Control the length and position in relation to the body. I think it's a strange stroke and stance,but I'm not on tour...

I don't like seeing rule/technique changes in golf.............. "just because"

They did that with a groove rule and I'm still pissed because it had little affect for 95% of the amateurs. We players are allowed to fly a ball over 290 yards, but god help us if a ball stops on a green from the rough. How many great set of irons were rendered useless? (or soon will be)

As far as his putting stroke goes, I don't see what is wrong with it.

I never cared for the anchored to the body technique, as I tried it and it didn't work for me. But I had to just laugh when the USGA in all it's wisdom, outlawed it.

Last edited:
If the putter was locked into a vise and 50" long it still would not make a huge difference. Bryson does look stiff as a board putting.

Adam Scott wouldn’t finish top 10 for the rest of his career

What would be the rule if someone got mad at there putter (say Dufner) gave it away and putted with a 3 wood, would you then only be able to put with a stock 5i in a jiffy?

His stroke looks painful, however I don’t feel any method is going to give a player advantage over any other method.

Agree completely. I’ve used a long putter, belly putter, and arm bar method and they are all hard!

It's only illegal if it's used in competition. Just farting around the golf course, use non conforming wedge grooves, a belly putter, and carry 22 clubs in your bag. It's legal(y)

as soon as someone starts a new one and does well, someone wants to ban it

Watching Bryson do anything makes me tense up. He looks so tense at setup.

Putting? Each method has its pros and cons...

The armlock isn't a loophole. It was specifically called out as legal back when the 2016 ban was announced.

Golf "purists" suck.

Back