It took me 2+ years but I finally know what a real golf swing feels like and I owe it to this guy.

MrBlast

Reaction score
Clay Ballard -
I've had a couple of lessons and I've watched plenty of videos but nobody has explained it like this guy. Yesterday, I played the first 9 holes like I typically do and then I recalled that video and decided I was gonna commit to what he said and after 2 holes, it just clicked. It started working. I have to build the muscle memory, so I can't really put any speed on it yet but that will come. I'm headed to the course again today. I'm an old school grinder, so I'm pumped to put this into practice going forward.

My recent improvements have all been from following Clay Ballard and seeing the daily email vids!

There are a lot of guys giving tips on YouTube these days. Some of them just explain things in a way that just click with some golfers others, not so much. I recently employed a tip I saw Clay talk about that worked for me too.

I love Clay's channel. I have stayed away from the youtube guys for a long time but his lessons on chipping & pitching have been spot on for me. What strikes me is how well he explains the differences between the "feel" of the swing vs. what we're actually doing. If you aren't sure what I mean by that, check out his lesson on pitching from 60-80 yards out. It feels like I'm on auto-pilot with that shot now.

Guy kinda jumps right into the guts. I like it.

clay shoots these videos at a club just north of orlando. when he's there, he's extremely generous with his time and genuinely friendly and helpful to anyone who approaches him. he seems like a great guy.

Lots of good concepts. But, it seems like there are too many must haves here. My one great takeaway is opening the hips to square the club head.

I don't think I've seen any of his stuff yet, I'll have to give them a look

I watched most of these videos when I first started last year, but watching them again there is a lot of stuff that I've forgotten or it just didn't click with me the first time. Looking forward to trying some of this out.

The only problem I have with this swing is squaring the clubface while shallowing the swing. I can roll the grip clockwise in transition, but not very consistently; I often make a very good swing with the face open. While playing, I tend to blend my old swing with many of the Clay Ballard concepts just to score well. To really ingrain the swing, I'd need to do a whole lot of range work.

There are a lot of guys giving tips on YouTube these days. Some of them just explain things in a way that just click with some golfers others, not so much. I recently employed a tip I saw Clay talk about that worked for me too.
Yep, I'm not sure how many YouTube videos I've watched in the past several months (probably hundreds). When I finally landed on Athletic Motion Golf their explanations teamed with the 3D swing models they do just clicked with me for some reason. I owe my new grip, lag, and consistency almost completely to that channel.

I plan to have my first in-person lesson after I finally get my new clubs, hopefully, in mid-August. We shall see if what I've taught myself is correct but I'm hitting the ball straight and farther than I have in 20 years so I've got to believe I'm on the right track.

I watch his video on the Tuck & Turn shoulder drill every other week to remember that feeling.

Back