Its Aeration time

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
A lot of the north has done it or is about in the process.

My greedy county has not gotten with the most modern equipment. And the result is the same old min 2 to 3 weeks of 2putting and that's if it rains enough. If not it's more like 4

It happens, they'll be fine in a bit.

It's fine. Enjoy that the course cares enough to take care of the asset.

Just another part of one's golf game if they play it enough.

Our course has started it. One plus I'm noticing is the unrepaired ball mark damage on the greens is looking better.

Putt between the small holes to the big hole 🤣hahah

You get used to it. I’m used to 3 punches a year, so I lessen some expectations on making a whole lot of small breaking putts during those months.

I also know that about 3 weeks after that last punch, our greens are filthy for months thanks to the better conditions and cooler weather. Makes it absolutely worth it

Ours were done 7 days ago and for my first round since then, they were putting decently today. In another 5 days they will be rolling great again.

This week is greens maintenance week at my home course

Unfortunately, even though the work needs to be done to ensure good greens, you always get people complaining when it happens, despite advance notice being given

The other day we played a course where they plugged the entire fairways. And I mean PLUGGED, they must have used 7/8" diameter plugger. And with all those plugs laying about, the entire fairway looked like it was a party spot for thousands of geese.... The plugs stopped any rollout of drives, and if the ball came to rest in a plug hole, we just moved it out. But this is a necessary evil, for the course is built upon ancient sea bottom, and the "soil" is clay........

Like one person has noted, green aeration is just part of the game. Without it, we would be playing on dying greens. Some areas do it 2 -3 times a year.

There’s a course here in North Fl that does something once a month called micro-core aeration. They do it once a month or every 5 weeks. Very small holes and just a light coat of sand. Greens are back to normal in a couple days as compared to weeks. And for this course at least I have never seen them look better consistently for all of 2022 which is when they started doing this. Bent grass around here. Love to see other courses take this process up. Maybe the equipment is pricey. Not sure. Anyone else heard of this?

In AZ, the courses closed for a month+ for aeration at the time when the courses are in the absolute best condition. It is seriously the most depressing golf time of the year! 2+ months of no golf or really bad golf and then a 100% increase in rates!!!:sick:

A lot of the north has done it or is about in the process.

My greedy county has not gotten with the most modern equipment. And the result is the same old min 2 to 3 weeks of 2putting and that's if it rains enough. If not it's more like 4
Played Shark today, I thought greens were pretty good considering they were punched 10 days ago

There’s a course here in North Fl that does something once a month called micro-core aeration. They do it once a month or every 5 weeks. Very small holes and just a light coat of sand. Greens are back to normal in a couple days as compared to weeks. And for this course at least I have never seen them look better consistently for all of 2022 which is when they started doing this. Bent grass around here. Love to see other courses take this process up. Maybe the equipment is pricey. Not sure. Anyone else heard of this?

While I have no direct knowledge, having seen one of the machines I can imagine they're quite pricey.

Back in the early 60s, I played a small municipal course up in NW Minnesota. They had oiled gravel greens. When you were done putting, you raked your foot prints. At least, they never had to aerate the "greens"...

Back