Khaot1c

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 24.0
..ok but

Let's say you hit your tee shot to the corner of a dog leg, that's also over a slight hill. There's no OB markers and no hazards (water, sand, or overly thick vegitation that would yield a ball unplaybale)

When you get to the site - you can't find the ball. You and your buddy search, but the ball just can't be found.
The round in progress is just a game for personal score - no wagers.

Would you return to the tee box to play another ball when there is another group waiting to tee off?

Huh? Not sure I understand the point of this thread.

Huh? Not sure I understand the point of this thread.

I was looking for a thread to merge it with because I am not sure either.

My apologies, had a cat jump on the keyboard and all kinds of bad things happened. I couldn't delete the post so i just edited and took it from where i could..

Ok, you edited your original post. Is this a ruling or an ethics question?

If in a match or tourney, you have to run back. In a for-fun round, throw one down and hit from there. Who cares?

If in a match or tourney, you have to run back. In a for-fun round, throw one down and hit from there. Who cares?

See, this is more or less my line of thinking too. I've seen/been around too many people that have no tolerance being behind a group that is playing poorly - which means of course they aren't playing 'fast'. So having to return to a tee box and "interrupt them" kind of makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Sure, when I hit a shot that I know may be a little tough to find, I'll hit a provisional. But when I'm on the home course and know that an area is pretty open with nothing to really 'eat' the ball, I won't bother.

That's where gallery's come in really handy. All those "pros" have a gallery of fans and spectators to keep an eye on a ball, even in the late evening when you're shooting dead into the sun. It may sound like trivial bickering, but it sure as heck is a disadvantage.

..ok but

Let's say you hit your tee shot to the corner of a dog leg, that's also over a slight hill. There's no OB markers and no hazards (water, sand, or overly thick vegitation that would yield a ball unplaybale)

When you get to the site - you can't find the ball. You and your buddy search, but the ball just can't be found.
The round in progress is just a game for personal score - no wagers.

Would you return to the tee box to play another ball when there is another group waiting to tee off?
If it's a fun round, just drop another ball. If you want to do it like you went back and hit another ball, then hit four from there (since your third would have been from the tee). With something on the line though, a lost ball is stroke and distance.

I'd never go back to the tee... Drop another ball, take my penalty and move on... But that's just me.

Just give it alittle Tapatalk

I'd never go back to the tee... Drop another ball, take my penalty and move on... But that's just me.

Just give it alittle Tapatalk

Do you ever hit a provisional?

Is this a chutting thread

formerly butters35

I love lamp.

John Deere Tap'n

Eff no. I hate slow play and returning to the tee box equates to that

What kind of lamp. I like.spotlight

formerly butters35

Me too.. I wouldn't be happy if I had to wait on this situation. Just drop you and play on playa.

You payed your greens fees just like everyone else. If you want to head back to the tee and not another juts do it. I don't care if the guys behind you are are antsy. If you choose not to go back then you ate hitting 3 from the spot you take your drop.

You payed your greens fees just like everyone else. If you want to head back to the tee and not another juts do it. I don't care if the guys behind you are are antsy. If you choose not to go back then you ate hitting 3 from the spot you take your drop.
That's what most people do but technically, if you don't hit another, you should be hitting FOUR where you take your drop since your third shot would have been from the tee box. Just like if you hit a provisional and use it, you are now hitting four.

You are my hero....I never have to guess how you feel about a situation!!

I would drop and play from there....and Smalls is right if you want to be as close as possible to the rules without going back then you would be hitting 4 from where you dropped since you would normally hit 3 from the tee if you went back....but most people don't play it that way.

See rules like this are stupid. Lost ball is stroke and distance but that's because we don't have people with red flags marking our ball for us and pace of play is already horrendous. I would just drop where you though it was and take a penalty stroke.

That's what most people do but technically, if you don't hit another, you should be hitting FOUR where you take your drop since your third shot would have been from the tee box. Just like if you hit a provisional and use it, you are now hitting four.

You are correct sir. I've always treated that as a lateral hazard but technically I was giving away a stroke.

See rules like this are stupid. Lost ball is stroke and distance but that's because we don't have people with red flags marking our ball for us and pace of play is already horrendous. I would just drop where you though it was and take a penalty stroke.

This is my usual response too.
I think that lost balls and OB being stoke and distance is just silly for the bogey golfer. Not that many play that way, but if they did it would be frustrating for them and mind numbingly slow for the rest of us.

Smalls: When you hit one down the woodline on a second shot- do you play a provisional, or drop nearby and take a stroke?

I had this happen recently. All 4 of us saw my ball land in the fairway at the dogleg, but lost sight as it rolled down the hill. No hazard at all, and none of us could find my ball. No way I was going back after we already held up the following group with a search. I didn't realize I needed to play it as 4 instead of 3. It was painful enough to take the stroke after a well struck tee shot that we all saw hit the fairway. Talk about salt in the wound.

I had this happen recently. All 4 of us saw my ball land in the fairway at the dogleg, but lost sight as it rolled down the hill. No hazard at all, and none of us could find my ball. No way I was going back after we already held up the following group with a search. I didn't realize I needed to play it as 4 instead of 3. It was painful enough to take the stroke after a well struck tee shot that we all saw hit the fairway. Talk about salt in the wound.

Unless I'm in a tournament I would never play that as four or go back and take a provisional. Drop the ball somewhere close and take a stroke.

Just my personal feelings on the matter.

Back