It's time to regulate equipment.

No. Leave the game alone... Advancements are good for us all.
He came in with guns a-blazing, posted once and disappeared. Hasn't been back since.

I bowl a lot 45 years ago a 190 average with a rubber ball was great now 230 with reactive resin. do I use a rubber ball no but I could if I wanted to. A Model T went 35 cars today over 100. Its all progress good or bad play what you want the good ole days are gone forever.

I think I know someone that would strongly disagree with the original post...POW!!
06dd38a653d93d50793b0765a180fae2.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 68 I could say I have lots of swings under my belt. Years ago down at 7 handicap with the old wood woods and steel shaft irons. And included in my bag of 14 clubs was a 1 iron.
Baseball requires balls, bats, and other equipment must adhere to size requirements. Much the same with other sports.
But golf. No. The increase in club face in particular I believe has altered the game in an negative way. Back in the day a 280 yard drive on target with a small faced wooden drivers was a challenge. It meant your swing was on point. But be off just a "hair" spells disaster. Clubs today are forgiving.
I'd love to see a pro tournament where say 1970's equipment is used. Be interesting. Those 470 yard par 4's would be a real challenge.
Bring it on!
Im with you. Id be all for banning oversize drivers. It takes away some of the skill because it allows golfers to just swing out of their shoes and they still have that huge face where they can make contact.
As someone who plays modern gear and also plays vintage gear, I can tell you that going from the old persimmon drivers to a 460cc driver is a night and day difference. Oversize drivers were a game changer.
If I were in charge of the regulations, I would limit driver size to 180cc, ban cavity back irons, limit the size of mallet putters and would ban multilayer golf balls and urethane covers. In many ways, I would take the game back 50 or 75 years but IMO it would take the game back to its roots and would force people to play classic golf courses the way that they were meant to be played and would bring shot making back into the game because nowdays, the best players simply overpower every course they play.
This obviously isnt a popular option because everyone just wants to buy new clubs that make them better instead of putting in the work to improve their craft. As Ive said many times in the past, modern golf is in many ways what baseball would be if they were allowed to use aluminum bats.

Back