Jack Nicklaus and the request for a ball roll back

hadi05

Just happy to be here! Also Bald...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
15ish
I was reading an article in Golf Week Magazine where Jack Nicklaus believes the golf ball "goes to far". What do you say THP, do you think the golf ball needs to rolled back, regulated more closely with performance parameters, or it's fine the way it is. Me personally, I don't think the golf ball needs to be rolled back. The majority of those who play recreational need all the help they can get.

I like Jack but he just sounds like a crotchety old man here.

I think the Tour ball is about to get rolled back. No idea what we amatuer's will get. Me I could not care less how good pro's play. If they can shoot -30 at some course so be it. I think the USGA is far too fixated on how good pro's play.

I agree, but it's a lonely island in the THP sea.

Maybe we just need to get rid of the driver completely LOL. See we hit it too far, just get rid of the boom stick... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't see that many people playing from the tips. 🤷‍♂️

Short knockers gonna be short knockers no matter what they do to the ball, it just puts them at an even bigger disadvantage. How about solving it by mowing the fairways differently so the pros don't get 130 yards of roll, and leave the ball alone?

Do I think we're getting closer to the point where some pros can overpower certain courses? Maybe. Do I think the ball needs to be rolled back and penalize people for being in shape and having great mechanics? Nope.

I was reading an article in Golf Week Magazine where Jack Nicklaus believes the golf ball "goes to far". What do you say THP, do you think the golf ball needs to rolled back, regulated more closely with performance parameters, or it's fine the way it is. Me personally, I don't think the golf ball needs to be rolled back. The majority of those who play recreational need all the help they can get.

I think Jack is an old.

Agronomy needs addressed more than the ball.

but he is done playing....so screw with those that are.....let it go

I recall once reading one of Jack's articles advocating new courses that are built be shorter than they are today. He advocated balls be made that give less distance on those shorter courses especially in the cities. Par 4's would be significantly shorter. Another idea to speed up play would be enlarging the cups on the greens for weekend golf. His suggestions were aimed at the high handicap players.

Good Golfing.

but he is done playing....so screw with those that are.....let it go
I’d figure as a guy that now designs courses he’d enjoy the challenge of designing a course to negate the distance increase he’s complaining about.

I want ball choice on tour to be like F1 tire choice.

Single manufacturer contract. Multiple types/compounds of balls. Some longer, some shorter with different spin profiles. Give a couple choices each week and vary them based on the course/conditions.

Would actually like each tour stop to contract out a specific ball from whatever manufacturer. Everyone plays the same unmarked, unknown ball that week. But that's too extreme for most.:LOL:

I’d figure as a guy that now designs courses he’d enjoy the challenge of designing a course to negate the distance increase he’s complaining about.
Well, he’s an asshole as a designer too, soooo….

(I do NOT like Nicklaus designs)

I think life is thoroughly teaching us these days that we should look to our eldest elders more for history lessons than future lessons.

Stfu Jack.

I still think this is just a situation where folks are looking for something to complain about. If the long hitters on tour were at a distinct advantage it would show up in lopsided wins. Last I checked DJ, Bryson, etc are not winning every week. Driving is only one aspect of the game and I would even argue not even the most important.

He's been on this bandwagon for over a decade, maybe two. It gets tired, but apparently Jack is adamant.:ROFLMAO:

When my Dad got into his 80's, he become more stubborn, too.o_O

Well, he’s an asshole as a designer too, soooo….

(I do NOT like Nicklaus designs)

Not a fan of circus-type greens?

That's what I remember from the few I've played.

He's Jack, arguably the GOAT and someone whose knowledge and understanding has to be respected...he knows a thing or two about competitive golf, course design, equipment, and how they all come together. Whether I agree or disagree, I'm not sure I'd want to just dismiss his thoughts on something like this as the ramblings of a busybody or elitist.

I thought Phil had similar thoughts about using the ball to limit distance, are folks as down on him as well?

For the record, though it's not a hill I'd be willing to die on, I tend to agree with his sentiment.

He's Jack, arguably the GOAT and someone whose knowledge and understanding has to be respected...he knows a thing or two about competitive golf, course design, equipment, and how they all come together. Whether I agree or disagree, I'm not sure I'd want to just dismiss his thoughts on something like this as the ramblings of a busybody or elitist.

I thought Phil had similar thoughts about using the ball to limit distance, are folks as down on him as well?

For the record, though it's not a hill I'd be willing to die on, I tend to agree with his sentiment.

Sorry, he's been rattling about the ball for about two decades. He can rattle and it seems most of us don't want to listen. It's the beating the dead horse thing.

Back