Jack Nicklaus and the request for a ball roll back

Nothing new here. Jack tried to promote a lower distance ball many years ago...lower dstance ball for him would mean comp he and his wife could play the same tee.

Less distance ball for the Tour guys, maybe. I need more distance and I'd also like a ball that was more workable before the modern distance balls. Thinking of it, that might also bring out more shot-making from the pros too and not just favour the big hitters.

nothing inherently. it's impressive to watch.
Ok, but I have yet to hear a good reason why there needs to be a change in the ball.

I really hope I don't act like this in my elderly ages. Progress is good in most cases.

Would the PGA tour be worse with a ball 10% shorter across the board?
At only that level, maybe. Although based on the courses used and what is at stake, is it better?
You are talking about millions and millions of dollars spent to bring it here, only to change and what would be the reason? Its not as if they are needing to lengthen the courses being used yearly. It appears on the surface to be relation to par.

Now combine that with the idea that if it were to be across the board (you know play what the pros play), then you will KILL any form of pace of play, as 10% to amateurs is a big deal, especially when wrong tees are used.

Would the PGA tour be worse with a ball 10% shorter across the board?
You moved the goalposts there. Why would we want the ball to be 10% shorter?

This is a fascinating topic. But until the longest player on tour (currently Bryson) goes out and starts dominating ie. winning the grand slam or 13-15 tournaments in one season, it’s all hyperbole. Distance can’t make putts for you. When he won the US Open he putted lights out. And I do recall him getting “out putted” for the FedEx Cup title last year. I’m not a Bryson hater at all. I was pulling for him 100%! But the putter can negate all that distance. Very quickly.

Am I wrong?

If the problem is the ball making shorter courses obsolete, then just grow the second cut knee high, and narrow the fairways. Make the players adjust their swing speeds for more accuracy.

Y

Obsolete seems to be a concern of the USGA. The storied old courses are being played differently by today’s highly skilled players.The ball and other technological related things making some courses play differently for highly skilled professionals and amateurs than the designers intended.

Make some changes to the courses as to conditions and don’t go after the equipment any more than what they do currently.

This is a fascinating topic. But until the longest player on tour (currently Bryson) goes out and starts dominating ie. winning the grand slam or 13-15 tournaments in one season, it’s all hyperbole. Distance can’t make putts for you. When he won the US Open he putted lights out. And I do recall him getting “out putted” for the FedEx Cup title last year. I’m not a Bryson hater at all. I was pulling for him 100%! But the putter can negate all that distance. Very quickly.

Am I wrong?
Why should Bryson be punished because he decided to work on his swing, and work on his body, to get longer. Why haven't any of these other players decided to put on 40lbs and get stronger?

Their answer for the future is to make it as much like the past as possible. Just because something was harder for them they want it to be harder for us. That's stupid and selfish IMO.

But... but... but... TRADITION!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

The great coach john wooden believed the dunk and the 3 pt. shot would ruin basketball. The 3 pt. shot should be longer, if used, than it is today.

The Great Jack Nicklaus thoughts also encompass the average golfer (hackers) not necessarily the pros. His interest in the hackers is genuine to make the game better for them.

Good Golfing

Encompass the average golfer?
The golfer that doesn't typically drive the ball further than 200 yards?
And Jack wants a 10% roll back on the ball?
How is that going to make the game better for the average golfer?

Buy For Kate
Bye Fir Cate
Bifurcate.
Rules for them and rules for the average golfer.

I love how that distance report the USGA report released showed that the average golfer has not really gained a significant amount of distance the past 10-15 years. Maybe they should put a limit on the height of golfers cause taller, longer limbed golfers have the potential to hit the ball farther (ie Dustin Johnson) and a limit on an individual's bench press or squat max since more muscle gives you the ability to hit the ball farther too.

I love Nick Faldo's idea of putting a limit on loft (nothing lower than 10°) and a tee height limit (2" max) since Phil clearly showed that those mini drivers are so much shorter than the regular drivers. I'm sure all those brilliant engineers at Callaway, Taylormade, Cobra, Titleist, etc. won't be able to figure out how to maximize MOI and CG to create bomber drivers. I'm pretty sure I can hit the new Rogue ST LS 3+ plenty far if I needed to AND it would fit those ridiculous rules that Faldo suggested.

The ridiculousness of this whole thing is crazy. Jack sounds like an old man screaming "get off my lawn you crazy kids!" If you really want to make golf courses harder, grow out the rough and graduate it so its longer the closer you get to the green AND make the landing area for longer hitters significantly more narrow than where the rest of the field hits it to reward accurate players who are good ball strikers. Penalize missed drives ESPECIALLY if you're trying to bomb away.

Would growing out the rough apply only to PGA tour events? I sure hope so. I lose enough balls as it is. And those tour players have spotters.:ROFLMAO:

Jack would say so the courses play more as intended.
Yet had no issue being the longest on tour and cutting off distance during his domination. Weird.

The courses ARE being played as intended. The ball goes into the hole in as few strokes as possible.🤷‍♂️:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That is one of the most ridiculous arguments I have heard though. Especially when we consider centuries old courses. Why does some ghost get to decide how the course plays?

We have seen MANY try, and many fail. It doesn't work as easily as just deciding to develop the rest of their game. Bryson did it, IMO, the only way that CAN translate to LD, he was a Pro first.

i agree many have tried and were unsuccessful. I agree that trying to go from LD to pro is very very hard. I’m not saying that’s what will happen. I’m saying people will be taught to just swing harder and harder (I mean they’re already being taught that) while developing the skills.

The great coach john wooden believed the dunk and the 3 pt. shot would ruin basketball. The 3 pt. shot should be longer, if used, than it is today.

The Great Jack Nicklaus thoughts also encompass the average golfer (hackers) not necessarily the pros. His interest in the hackers is genuine to make the game better for them.

Good Golfing
Do amateur golfers hit the ball too far?

That is one of the most ridiculous arguments I have heard though. Especially when we consider centuries old courses. Why does some ghost get to decide how the course plays?
Get rid of Google Maps. harumph

Why should Bryson be punished because he decided to work on his swing, and work on his body, to get longer. Why haven't any of these other players decided to put on 40lbs and get stronger?

He shouldn’t be. I love what he’s doing for the game. Absolutely love it. I hope it translates to more wins this year for him. Can’t imagine anyone has worked any harder than him. I hope the greens books being taken away doesn’t set his putting back. I would love to see him dominate this year! They should just leave the game alone. Course design not length can “equalize” things if that’s what they are after. This is the most expensive way to do it though. Change a course all around for 4 rounds of golf played there a year. What about the members for the other 51 weeks a year?!? A lot of layers to this issue.

Here's a hot take:

Distance isn't ruining golf. Golf course designers only making $300 per round resort courses are.

I definitely think that would be his position.

More as intended for such a tiny percentage of those of us who play the game. Because of my distance limitations, every course plays as intended for me. :D

Back