"Jacked" Lofts in 2020

If the lofts are the same, technology. If they are "Jacked" lofts they play on the line between physics and technology.

If the lofts are the same, technology. If they are "Jacked" lofts they play on the line between physics and technology.
I agree with the first part. If you put two clubs head to head, technology will determine the winner ONLY if lofts are the same. Once you have different lofts it’s like comparing apples to oranges and you can’t really call a winner.

Just saying that if you take a old and a new iron with the same lofts I feel you might be able to get a clubs difference due to the improvements in manufacturing and construction. That would be science/technology.

Just saying that if you take a old and a new iron with the same lofts I feel you might be able to get a clubs difference due to the improvements in manufacturing and construction. That would be science.
Definitely but I feel you’d have to get almost a decade between the clubs before it’s that substantial.

I don’t mind the jacked lofts. Like others have posted if the ball flight dies what you want it to do, I don’t care that my 7 iron is 28.5* What I do care about is getting that 19* 4 iron in the air and when I can’t I guess I’ll just pick up a hybrid.

I am all for jacking my lofts if I can hit further with more consistency

I don’t mind the jacked lofts. Like others have posted if the ball flight dies what you want it to do, I don’t care that my 7 iron is 28.5* What I do care about is getting that 19* 4 iron in the air and when I can’t I guess I’ll just pick up a hybrid.
That’s the cool thing about the strong lofted irons. They are designed to make it easy to get the ball high in the air. You’ll hit that 21* 5 iron higher and more easily than a 21* 3 iron.

A stronger loft will go further yes?
I think the question is imperfect.

Take two drivers that are on completely different ends of the spin spectrum, and a 9.0 in one could be way shorter than a 10.5 in the other. What has changed about tech is the ability to promote better launch conditions that support the same flight (but longer) as a traditional setup.

I go with science. My pw will go further than your 7i as long as my pw is 25*.

Essentially it’s all down to the degrees of the club. Callaway is awful at this. Several years ago there 5i was 25* (around there) and now it’s almost down to 21*. Yea you’re hitting the new 5i further but technology has nothing to do with that.
So by this logic, everybody will always hit a 9 degree driver further than 10.5?

And every iron design is the same distance speaking, and speed, spin and launch have nothing to do with it?

Well that is one unique take.

I wish the standard was loft degrees printed on clubs rather than an arbitrary 1-9

Definitely but I feel you’d have to get almost a decade between the clubs before it’s that substantial.
Why a decade? That's an arbitrary length of time. With different materials getting easier to manufacture (and cheaper) they are using these to better place the weight to help with launch and spin. Plus they can now more accurately mill and test the faces to get them as close to the limit as possible for distance. Add in what Callaway is doing with AI and they are finding ways to bring improvements faster than ever.

Back