Mashie Niblick
Long Niblick
Mid Niblick
Short Niblick
Pitching Niblick
Sand Wedge
Lob Wedge
Putter

You laugh, but with the increase of variety in clubs available the modern golfer is going to start buying like the old days more and more imo.
I've decided to go my own style. See below, based on my current bag fitting.

Dr: Big Dawg
5w: Little Dawg
4i: Slammer
5: Slapper
6: Dinger
7: Mrs. Doubtfire
8: Enough
9: Bob
PW: Iron formally known as PW
GW: 2 live crew
52 deg: Bazinga
56 deg: Scooter
60 : Daisy Duke

See!! You guys get it!!! This is what I’ve been saying, make up fun names, or go really old school with the names. The numbers are meaningless, let’s have fun with it!

I think I’m going to take a page out of @Tevenor’s book:

Driver: 4 left
3w: crapshoot
3h: long ‘un
4h: long but not quite as long as long ‘un
5h: blamo
5i: blamo jr
6i: whaoohie
7i: thank **** I’m close enough to hit the green
8i: kerploop
9i: fricken laser
PW: Tyson
AW: Joint Boy
56°: dribbles
putter: happy Gilmore

I think I’m going to take a page out of @Tevenor’s book:

Driver: 4 left
3w: crapshoot
3h: long ‘un
4h: long but not quite as long as long ‘un
5h: blamo
5i: blamo jr
6i: whaoohie
7i: thank **** I’m close enough to hit the green
8i: kerploop
9i: fricken laser
PW: Tyson
AW: Joint Boy
56°: dribbles
putter: happy Gilmore

Crap. Just realized I didn't do the putter. My post corrected.

yeah the days of "what did you hit there" are dead

I can't wait for someone to ask me what I hit on a 160 yard par 3 and I tell him 'Enough'. :D

And mixed sets like mine will make clubbing off of someone else even trickier, lol. I play regularly with a couple guys that like me will be hitting PW on the short(128 yard) par 3 at our club and yet I’ll be past their driver tees shots on the short par 4 6th and 8th holes with my new Epic Forged 4 iron.

haha orrrr like at one point in a mixed set I made up, I had two 6 irons. Friends would ask, what club did you hit, 6 iron.....

they would hit their 6 or 7 and be way short and I would have to say, oh I hit the longer or power 6 haha.

I find the loft jacking interesting. My lofts were jacked back with my 2008 set of Cobra FP irons. Never really noticed until it started becoming more mainstream and I started paying attention to gear. I think they will stay, especially for us hacks to want to hit it a long way and still get forgiveness.

With a complete set fitting, the fitter will want to set up linear distance progressions throughout the set. That's how they know how to configure a set, but it's not how I configure a set. I want clubs for specific shots.

I want a driving iron to hit on tight driving holes. I'll never hit it from the fairway.
I want a high loft fairway wood to hit from the rough or over tall trees.
I want TWO 58º wedges, one for the grass and one for the sand.

After adding a driver and a putter to the four clubs that I've already mentioned,
that leaves the fitter only eight clubs to give me for covering all the distance ranges.

I don't want to argue with the fitter. I play like I play.

With a complete set fitting, the fitter will want to set up linear distance progressions throughout the set. That's how they know how to configure a set, but it's not how I configure a set. I want clubs for specific shots.

I want a driving iron to hit on tight driving holes. I'll never hit it from the fairway.
I want a high loft fairway wood to hit from the rough or over tall trees.
I want TWO 58º wedges, one for the grass and one for the sand.

After adding a driver and a putter to the four clubs that I've already mentioned,
that leaves the fitter only eight clubs to give me for covering all the distance ranges.

I don't want to argue with the fitter. I play like I play.

Any good fitter will listen to what you want and go from there. If the person being fit gives no instruction or feedback, then they'll get a very basic fitting with good gaping, though that's not the fitters fault.

When it's only a full swing club. To me of it had PW stamped on it and it's not versatile enough to actually hit pitch shots into the green then it's not a PW.
Good point. So in this theory it should be a 10i... Then you have a set "wedges".

N/A

Any good fitter will listen to what you want and go from there. If the person being fit gives no instruction or feedback, then they'll get a very basic fitting with good gaping, though that's not the fitters fault.
No, of course that wouldn't be the fitter's fault.

There is tactical philosophy as to how I go about it.

I think that it's easier to grip down on a basic shot than to execute a difficult shot without the optimum club for the task.

Thus I try to include all of the specialty clubs on which I've come to rely for difficult shots. If I'm between clubs on just a basic, ordinary shot, I take the longer club and grip down a little bit.

No, of course that wouldn't be the fitter's fault.

There is tactical philosophy as to how I go about it.

I think that it's easier to grip down on a basic shot than to execute a difficult shot without the optimum club for the task.

Thus I try to include all of the specialty clubs on which I've come to rely for difficult shots. If I'm between clubs on just a basic, ordinary shot, I take the longer club and grip down a little bit.

I'm confused why you said you don't want to argue with your fitter, any good fitter will just fit you for what you want anyways.

I'm confused why you said you don't want to argue with your fitter, any good fitter will just fit you for what you want anyways.

OK, I see what you mean.
I've gotten fitted by teaching professionals rather than pure fitting experts; that's who fits you when you buy clubs from your pro's on course shop.

They give some push back when you want to be unconventional.

OK, I see what you mean.
I've gotten fitted by teaching professionals rather than pure fitting experts; that's who fits you when you buy clubs from your pro's on course shop.

Yeah, sounds like not a great person to see for a fitting.

Where do you stand on this in 2020?

Necessary for tech that we are seeing?
Excuse to make people think they hit the ball far?
A fad that will go away?

Give some strong reasoning on how you feel, and what matters to you.

I think it is necessary. Its all part of the equation to get clubs that are more forgiving/easier to hit.

Players irons today are more forgiving and easier to hit than my old Wilson Staff blades from 1976. MOI, weight placement...all changes that have been made. Loft is another component that has to be worked in as part of the equation.

This holds true in the design of any iron. Look at my SUV, Jeep GC SRT8.... they made improvements to make it faster. What if they never improved the suspension? It wouldn’t perform right wouldn’t it?

I think what irks some people is their playing partners saying, “ I just hit 9 iron!!”... and they take it wrong.

The new clubs with computer designed weight distribution and ground interaction definitely help average skilled, recreational player hit the ball better.

They get the ball up in the air and keep it in play better.

But even in hitting better full shots, the scoring doesn't improve that much because short game is about feel and repetitions more than it's about tech.
Tech helps putters a little but it won't give us touch in chipping, lobbing, and pitching.

The new clubs with computer designed weight distribution and ground interaction definitely help average skilled, recreational player hit the ball better.

They get the ball up in the air and keep it in play better.

But even in hitting better full shots, the scoring doesn't improve that much because short game is about feel and repetitions more than it's about tech.
Tech helps putters a little but it won't give us touch in chipping, lobbing, and pitching.
I would argue that elevated MOI in putters would help enormously, not just a little.

Also, check out the Cleveland Smart Sole wedge. It might not support 'touch' but it'll absolutely support the major flaws in chipping like digging.

Also, check out the Cleveland Smart Sole wedge. It might not support 'touch' but it'll absolutely support the major flaws in chipping like digging.

Smart Sole 4 vs. RTX-4 is an interesting Cleveland comparison. The 58º Smart Sole is better in fluffy lies and sand while the RTX-4 58-03 is much better for soft lobs from a tight lie, even for a lesser skilled player.

Smart Sole 4 vs. RTX-4 is an interesting Cleveland comparison. The 58º Smart Sole is better in fluffy lies and sand while the RTX-4 58-03 is much better for soft lobs from a tight lie, even for a lesser skilled player.
I'd argue the smart sole benefits a lower skill player from a tight lie far more than an RTX4, but I'm thinking about misses, not a perfect strike. If we all hit em perfect, we wouldn't need tech.

OK, I see what you mean.

They push back because they are trying to sell what's in the OEM's offerings, which are setup to hopefully get a decent match with most of the public. What they aren't there to do is go through 30 different custom shafts for you to "think about it" which is usually the result of a place focused more on fitting then selling.

I went through this same experience. First fitter I liked and had confidence in but he worked for a pro shop. He was limited to what I could get fit in. Half way through, he moved to a real fitters place and I got swapped out. Ultimately I did not have a very valuable fitting session there. I did buy the clubs because in the end, they were still a huge performance increase, but they never felt quite right. I ended up at CC to fix a lot of what the original fitting missed.

I'd argue the smart sole benefits a lower skill player from a tight lie far more than an RTX4, but I'm thinking about misses, not a perfect strike. If we all hit em perfect, we wouldn't need tech.

I just mean that the RTX-4 58-03 gets the leading edge down lower for a touch lob.

Back