"Jacked" Lofts in 2020

I guess this thread is still going..

I was doing some work with Titlest T300 irons and their 43* Pw. It might be me but it just means the set goes 6i to PW and you add three more wedges at the bottom of the bag to get the 210yd and in yardages covered.

add titleist and cobra to the bill while your at it bc everyone has “jacked lofts”
Best part is, there’s never been a standard, that’s what’s most hilarious about all this.

But, people have to have something tradition and conspiracy laden to cling onto. Change is oh so scary I guess.

Best part is, there’s never been a standard, that’s what’s most hilarious about all this.

But, people have to have something tradition and conspiracy laden to cling onto. Change is oh so scary I guess.

The disparity now is even more so. Asking someone what club they hit is next to useless as there could be up to 6º of difference between that particular club.

Loft gate is still going strong haha

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

The disparity now is even more so. Asking someone what club they hit is next to useless as there could be up to 6º of difference between that particular club.

Its against the rules anyway so perhaps this is a deterrent.

Its against the rules anyway so perhaps this is a deterrent.

I know, I was thinking more after each individual took their shot. Then there might be the inevitable: "Hey, I hit a 9 and you hit a 7!" lol As I have frequently opined, the scorecard doesn't really care. :)

I know, I was thinking more after each individual took their shot. Then there might be the inevitable: "Hey, I hit a 9 and you hit a 7!" lol As I have frequently opined, the scorecard doesn't really care. :)

The statement should be "Hey, I hit my random club that doesn't really matter which closer than you hit your random club that doesn't really matter which."

IMO asking them what club they hit is pointless anyway, as you rarely golf with people who have the same SS, launch, backspin, etc. So what difference does it make if you're playing the same set/lofts as someone else?

IMO asking them what club they hit is pointless anyway, as you rarely golf with people who have the same SS, launch, backspin, etc. So what difference does it make if you're playing the same set/lofts as someone else?

Oh, I agree. I never ask...as you say, it is pointless. If someone asks me, I just say for example, "My 145 yard club." :)

Ignore the number on the clubs. Know the lofts. Know your distances. Don't expect loft/distance to yield the same result from various irons. I am playing Hogan Ft. Worth Blacks and Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals now. They go more or less the same distance club # to club # - the Hogans may be just slightly longer in spite of the fact they are traditionally lofted (7 iron, 34 degrees) and the Hot Metals are jacked (7 iron, 30 degrees). Despite the differences in lofts, both 7 irons have similar trajectories and carry between 155 and 160. But balls off the Hogans stick to greens like Velcro while the Hot Metals tend to run. I'm still on the steep part of the learning curve.

If I'm playing a friendly round I usually ask what distance they played it as I have no idea how their iron distance relates to mine

Where do you stand on this in 2020?

Necessary for tech that we are seeing?
Excuse to make people think they hit the ball far?
A fad that will go away?

Give some strong reasoning on how you feel, and what matters to you.

First, I think the term “Jacked” is unnecessary. IMO it was Created by someone to combat technology by another manufacturer.
Advancements in metallurgy, composites and technology have made it imperative to adjust lofts.
As long as an PW launches in the same window and reaches same height and decent angle as previous version, I could care less what the loft degrees are. If added distance is a byproduct thats great.
I’d much rather hit a 9 iron or PW to green than a 7 or 8 iron.
So I’m all for it. Go ahead jack my lofts!

Jacked lofts do seem to be marketable to many golfers. Sure, I admit, if I am hitting my 7i 160yards because it really is the same degree as my 5i from the past, I just feel a little better.

I think this type of marketing would work everywhere. Women’s clothes should say size 4 when in reality it’s a size 8 from years ago.

Lol. My 800 post definitely belongs in this thread. The thread will never die. ?

For some reason I was thinking about this today. My current epic forged PW is 41 degrees. My haig ultra blades in 1985 the PW was 48 and guess what they launch the same. Are the “anti delofters” saying my current PW should be 48??? Good news is it might burn up in the atmosphere haha.

I really think this subject is much ado about nothing

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

@chile you said its name 3 times!

Here is an example. Ping Eye 2 versus Mavrik. For example, look at the difference between PW's.

Eye2Specs.png

MavSpecs.png

First, I think the term “Jacked” is unnecessary. IMO it was Created by someone to combat technology by another manufacturer.
Advancements in metallurgy, composites and technology have made it imperative to adjust lofts.
As long as an PW launches in the same window and reaches same height and decent angle as previous version, I could care less what the loft degrees are. If added distance is a byproduct thats great.
I’d much rather hit a 9 iron or PW to green than a 7 or 8 iron.
So I’m all for it. Go ahead jack my lofts!
you used to hit your ~38° ~36.5" club into greens, and you're still hitting a ~38° ~36.5" club into greens, except your new club retains more speed and possibly spin on off-center strikes, has possibly more sole forgiveness, among other possible benefits, and has a different number stamped on the bottom

does the ball know what number is on the bottom?

If I'm playing a friendly round I usually ask what distance they played it as I have no idea how their iron distance relates to mine
Yep any more you simply cannot compare irons at all. My buddy has consistently hit a wedge he has much futher than I hit my gap wedge. One day I asked him if I could look at his wedge.

I stuck it up beside my gap wedge and realized it was lofted different. Next I put it up to my pitching wedge and it was the same, so no wonder he hit it further than my gap wedge. I realized then no use even bothering trying to figure that out and no need to ask him what iron he may have used on a shot because not comparing apples to apples.

Maybe soon the manufacturers will do away with the numbers and simply put lofts on them. Then you would say, what loft was that you used? o_O

Y
Yep any more you simply cannot compare irons at all. My buddy has consistently hit a wedge he has much futher than I hit my gap wedge. One day I asked him if I could look at his wedge.

I stuck it up beside my gap wedge and realized it was lofted different. Next I put it up to my pitching wedge and it was the same, so no wonder he hit it further than my gap wedge. I realized then no use even bothering trying to figure that out and no need to ask him what iron he may have used on a shot because not comparing apples to apples.

Maybe soon the manufacturers will do away with the numbers and simply put lofts on them. Then you would say, what loft was that you used? o_O
You need to read back through this whole shithole of the a thread hahaha

Lofts on clubs have been done, and it bombed.

I’m sure it’s been said somewhere in this thread. The jacked lifts are for a certain type of golfer. Say an older person that is losing mobility and swing speed. They can use the assistance to prolong their playing enjoyment. Is the marketplace applying the appropriate clubs to golfer? I’m guessing the answer is no I many instances.
When I fiat went in to get fit and purchase clubs, my fitter had it all picked out without even seeing me swing. Just based on the fact that I was new to the game he was selling me a Super Game Improvement set. Had I kept those I’d be hitting my irons way to long.
I don’t have issues getting the ball in the air. I’m athletic, and my distance averages with my Apex fit well with my other clubs. My game is targeted on the basis of irons from 200 yards in. Now in 10-15 years I may not have the same ability and I might need some extra help to hit a par 3 with an iron. To me that’s where these new SGI irons should fill the void. Not for the guy that hits his 7 iron 140+ yards already.

I’m sure it’s been said somewhere in this thread. The jacked lifts are for a certain type of golfer. Say an older person that is losing mobility and swing speed. They can use the assistance to prolong their playing enjoyment. Is the marketplace applying the appropriate clubs to golfer? I’m guessing the answer is no I many instances.
When I fiat went in to get fit and purchase clubs, my fitter had it all picked out without even seeing me swing. Just based on the fact that I was new to the game he was selling me a Super Game Improvement set. Had I kept those I’d be hitting my irons way to long.
I don’t have issues getting the ball in the air. I’m athletic, and my distance averages with my Apex fit well with my other clubs. My game is targeted on the basis of irons from 200 yards in. Now in 10-15 years I may not have the same ability and I might need some extra help to hit a par 3 with an iron. To me that’s where these new SGI irons should fill the void. Not for the guy that hits his 7 iron 140+ yards already.
Fun fact, it’s not just SGI irons with stronger lofts, the designs in many players distance irons have necessitated it too.

Ive also never heard someone say they hit their irons too long. I’d sure as hell rather have my 7i in from 185 than my 5i.

Y

You need to read back through this whole shithole of the a thread hahaha

Lofts on clubs have been done, and it bombed.
Yeah,, I have been keeping up and sometimes you simply need to beat that dead carcuss some more - that way it becomes hide tanning LOL. :ROFLMAO:

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving. Kind of like the love of your children. Or herpes.

Back