Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Where do you stand on this in 2020?

Necessary for tech that we are seeing?
Excuse to make people think they hit the ball far?
A fad that will go away?

Give some strong reasoning on how you feel, and what matters to you.

I get very confused by this. I just upgraded to a used set of AP1 710s from an older set of Callaway Pro Series X-14s. The lofts are jacked on the AP1's compared to my older callaways but I have no idea how the shaft lengths for the differen't lots will play into this. How much does loft increase distance and how much is the shaft length for each standard iron. I spent a ton of time figuring out my distances with the old set as I'm a new player with an inconsistent swing and need way more data then a single range session. I really wish manufacturers would standardize lofts to club lengths for each iron so it doesn't change with every new set.

Dan,

This was not supposed to happen.. But I will bite.

"Jacked" Lofts, are a result of advancements in Technology, leading to bigger distance with the same launch seen in irons previous. They make the game easier and more fun, and to me, are a no brainer.

It’s a non story.

Its been a non story.

It’ll stay a non story.

Its only something for those who have to find something to dislike.

Live look at @Canadan:

In all seriousness I was scared leaving traditional lofts to go into AP2s a few years ago. What I found is that the irons still went as high as they were supposed to, had spin to stop, but could get extra distance if you lean on them. I've now tried to stop swinging out of my shoes and embraced the fact that I can swing smoother and get the same distance.

What I mean is I can't simply compare distances from one set to the next based on loft and ignoring the arbitrary iron number because the shaft lengths correspond to the iron number. I was hoping the AP1's would be a consistent distance further for each loft but they are all over the place.

Necessary for the advancements in tech. Epic Forged are good example, if no stronger lofts we would do nothing but hit moon balls. Now some at our fitting this year at ECPC had them weakend because they need spin but where still able to hit the launch window necessary to have good ball light and still stop the ball on the green.

I think i've known nothing but jacked lofts during my 2 month golf "career"

They are an abomination and they need to go back, stat! ?

They are options, and they are great. Do I go for them? nope, I have distances I like and pick based on those. But I have zero problems with someone needing the extra distance and getting it as a result of the advancements they have been able to make.

I get very confused by this. I just upgraded to a used set of AP1 710s from an older set of Callaway Pro Series X-14s. The lofts are jacked on the AP1's compared to my older callaways but I have no idea how the shaft lengths for the differen't lots will play into this. How much does loft increase distance and how much is the shaft length for each standard iron. I spent a ton of time figuring out my distances with the old set as I'm a new player with an inconsistent swing and need way more data then a single range session. I really wish manufacturers would standardize lofts to club lengths for each iron so it doesn't change with every new set.
If you compare the original AP1's to the latest AP1 iteration, you're inevitably going to see a difference in launch and spin due to the technology applied to the product. If they were to standardize lofts, it could potentially hinder the benefits of new technology.

That's more or less where the 'jacked lofts' commentary comes from.

What I mean is I can't simply compare distances from one set to the next based on loft and ignoring the arbitrary iron number because the shaft lengths correspond to the iron number. I was hoping the AP1's would be a consistent distance further for each loft but they are all over the place.

Why do you need to compare? At the end of the day it is about fitting gaps. If the irons are gapped appropriately, and the top and bottom of your bag are taken into consideration, does it matter if they are 1 or 1.5 clubs longer than your previous irons?

Don't care about lofts too much. If it gives me distance and stopping power I don't really care if it's a 7 iron or a 5 iron if they produce the same results.

Dan,

This was not supposed to happen.. But I will bite.

"Jacked" Lofts, are a result of advancements in Technology, leading to bigger distance with the same launch seen in irons previous. They make the game easier and more fun, and to me, are a no brainer.
^^^^^ Please let the record show this thread is 100% Taylor's fault

I don't think it's going away, as I see many companies shifting in this direction generation over generation.

Tech, with material management, manufacturing processes, etc have allowed more and more weight lower than before, so I think the move to stronger lofts makes sense as a general rule. Some players would still benefit from weaker lofts, but I don't believe that is the majority...

Part of it though, is absolutely trying to win on the launch monitors though. Easier distance is a great selling point.

For me, personally, I have a weird mental block against having two gap wedges (one approach - one gap, two pitching wedges, etc). I would shy away from sets with that configuration. To me at that point I'd rather have oems modify their numbering.

Not something I worry about at all right now and won't be for a long time. Now, the day I pick up a 7i and its 22*.... different story.

Why do you need to compare? At the end of the day it is about fitting gaps. If the irons are gapped appropriately, and the top and bottom of your bag are taken into consideration, does it matter if they are 1 or 1.5 clubs longer than your previous irons?
I guess my problem is I have no idea what the distances are and am going to need to commit a large amount of time to figuring them out again. As a weekend golfer it's an incentive for me to play with a set for a much longer period of time instead of buying a new set. The extra distance doesn't help me if I'm bombing over greens because I have no idea how far each club goes.

If it's neccesarry to help improve irons with new tech than I totally get it and am not really complaining, just saying it deincentivizes me personally to buy new irons.

It’s a non story.

Its been a non story.

It’ll stay a non story.

Its only something for those who have to find something to dislike.
I dislike this just because I needed something to dislike.

Those who still believe it’s all about distance are looking at 10% of the story and cutting off their noses to spite their face.

Lofts are getting pretty up there. I mean look at the Mavrik irons from yesterday. 27 degrees for a 7 iron sounds pretty nuts. 41 for a PW. But as long as they are able to keep flights as they should be and not something like a roped 9 iron only getting 20 yards off the ground, then do whatever makes us as amateurs and weekend warriors feel better about our game. They aren't making those lofts for the pros. I mean my new Forged Tec's are even pretty lofted but damn if it doesn't feel good hitting them and seeing the launch they still give with a one hop stop. At a certain point it may get to be too much but right now it still seems all good.

any more you just ignore the number on the club, gots to hitem to know how far they go and then trust the distances

lets just throw this bait out there and see if anyone bites....

I don't have a strong feeling on it either way. I'm newish to the game, only played for 6 years or so, so not sure i've noticed a major change in my time. But generally if the technology improves I support it. I don't chase distance in my game but i will chase consistency and accuracy, and i don't think the lofting has a ton to do with that.

Back