"Jacked" Lofts in 2020

For anyone wanting a traditional iron, here you go... P53 Irons

Let's flip this around a bit. If you surmizing that a 9i should only go X yards ( hence "correctly"), lets assume 140 yards and it should never go further and a manufacturer makes an iron that makes the ball go faster, spin more, and launch higher but oh know, it now goes 160 yards. You are saying they should increase the loft to make the iron go less far to hit the "correct" distance of 140 yards. So now you have a 9i that is delofted and weak instead of strong. Is that still ok? I mean it would be a traditional 9i but with the loft of a PW, right
So, if you did that the 9i might go the same distance, but it would not react the same. Generally speaking, you are going to see a lot more spin on that new iron. That's going to have a significant impact on how the ball flies, what it takes to carve the ball, and what happens when the ball lands on the green.

I just hit a 38* degree pitching wedge today. Haven’t seen announced on the forum yet so I won’t say what it is. Wouldn’t work great for me but hitting 170 pw was very very cool!

I just hit a 38* degree pitching wedge today. Haven’t seen announced on the forum yet so I won’t say what it is. Wouldn’t work great for me but hitting 170 pw was very very cool!

I bet I know...

Previously I reviewed and played a set with a 38 PW, it was crazy fun.

Man I can’t disagree with this more. The idea that there’s no difference just blows my mind.
Just tell me how do I tell the difference between each other and compare Apples to Apples. :Puma:

It is.
I've had this same argument with one of the older than me guys I play with. So one day we swapped irons in our bags and played the first nine holes. Then went back and played the same nine again but swapped irons.
When we got done I asked him which one was more fun. (he scored 2 strokes better with my irons) He said: Well it was pretty okay to hit a shorter irons into most of those greens.
What is a shorter iron? The lofts don't mean anything. The number stamped on the bottom of the clubs doesn't matter.

Guys this has been a very good conversation. Whether people agree or disagree the conversation has been civil. There is no reason to fill the thread with jokes or anything else.

let’s try to keep it on topic and remember the THP Way.
Sorry. I am a native New Yorker. We fill every single thing with a joke. No pun intended (y)

What were your yardage gaps? I know the lofts say one thing, but you gap to fill a yardage needed not what is stamped on the iron.
Unfortunately we can't hit every Club in the set before we buy.

We can only hope, and use our prior experience.

5 degrees may or may not work. But at 140 dollars per Club, why risk 2k per set of irons?:Puma:

I never thought loft specs would stop people from playing\trying clubs.
It's not like the lofts spec stop us from trying, it's not having the whole set to try before we buy. And having been burned before.

As the "WHO" Famously said "We Won't be Fooled Again " !!!!@

Give me an entire set to try before I buy, and gap before I Regret.

And we will never say, NEVER AGAIN!(y)

While those irons are gapped the way you described, would you really play the 3 iron or even the 4 iron? As far as the bottom of the bag, 5° gaps in wedges are not as uncommon as people think nowadays. Mine are 5° between PW and AW then 4° for the 3 specialty wedges.
I Happy Bag a 3 & 4 iron Blade.

Because they perform.

3 iron stops 2 to 3 feet from divot.

Some of the Golfers don't want Hybrids at 250 a pop. When a Iron gets the job done. (y)

By dropping the 3 iron and maybe even the 4 iron you can fill that spot with something that is easier to hit, (a hybrid or fairway wood) so say starting at a 5 iron you will still have the same gapping all the way to the bottom of the bag.
Have to remember, the distance that 6 or 7 iron is giving you is covering those gaps.
So buy a 350 to 250 dollar Club to replace a 120 to 160 dollar Club.

Marketing and Business Genius.

Oops. I think I just let the cat out of the bag.

2, 3, 4, and 5 irons aren't that hard to hit.

Practice. IVERSON. Practice. :geek:

Totally agree. Only thing is I have to spend time to figure out exactly what is needed and work through the gapping etc. yet again. The OEMs are simply making life more difficult for the average golfer just so they can boast about the distance of their new irons
How is the boasting verified?

Lofts don't matter.

Stamped numbers don't matter.

My Pitching Wedge is the longest club ever designed. It is 9.5 degrees and 460 cc's. I swear it can go 350 yards. Straight. With a 50 degree decent angle. and a 20 degree launch angle.

It will be the perfect new addition to your out 12 Wedges and Putter. :geek::Puma:(y)

So buy a 350 to 250 dollar Club to replace a 120 to 160 dollar Club.

Marketing and Business Genius.

Oops. I think I just let the cat out of the bag.

2, 3, 4, and 5 irons aren't that hard to hit.

Practice. IVERSON. Practice. :geek:
As more and more pros take the 2, 3, and sometimes 4 irons out of the bag for utilities and hybrids, Do they need to practice more than they already do as well? Honest q here.

I mean the easy answer there is to get a fitting.

Again though, if we're talking about the average golfer, they're not going to notice a 1-3 yard gap increase between a couple of their clubs.
We did get fit and got snucker:sick:

We did get fit and got snucker:sick:

A month ago you were singing praises all over the forum of your new Mizuno irons.

now you were snookered?

How in the world are people forced to buy anything? Enjoy the game how you want. If you believe tech doesn’t exist and it’s all marketing? Great, you never need to buy new clubs.

As more and more pros take the 2, 3, and sometimes 4 irons out of the bag for utilities and hybrids, Do they need to practice more than they already do as well? Honest q here.
I honestly play in the windy California Ventura County. So it is best to keep the ball low. My Hybrids only flew into the Woods and Hooked into trouble.

Good Irons keep my ball in play.

Different Strokes for different folks and Course.

My 3,4, and 5 irons are currently keeping their spots by keeping my scores low.

The Hybrids and Fairway Woods lost their spots by losing my golf balls.

The
A month ago you were singing praises all over the forum of your new Mizuno irons.

now you were snookered?

How in the world are people forced to buy anything? Enjoy the game how you want. If you believe tech doesn’t exist and it’s all marketing? Great, you never need to buy new clubs.
The Technology is amazing. And really works. I liked the MP-20'S. But honestly the MP-5's, which are my scoring clubs just fit better. It may be the Aerotech Steelfiber i80 Stiff Shafts Versus the KBS Tour 90 Stiff shafts.

Again in all Honesty, I currently hit the MP-20's longer than the MP-5's. About 5 Yards. But with a greater tendency to Hook the ball. My Swing Flaw.

Also While on the Subject, I hit the MP-20's MB longer than the HMB's. Again Same Shafts. KBS Tour 90 Stiff. Plus one inch. Even though the HMB' have stronger lofts than the MB'S. The MB'S Fly higher and Spin Faster. But I hit them more solidly.

Horses for Courses.

Only Answering your question and not trying to single out any OEM'S.

And Yes I was fitted. Fitter recommended HMB's.

I purchased both, only to find that my older and shorter hitting MP-5's were hitting more Greens. And achieving lower scores. I am lucky. At 57 I am still hitting the ball a long way. Soon this will by force of nature come to an end.

But till then I am willing to trade Distance for Accuracy.

Cheers.

Love your Reviews. (y)

I honestly play in the windy California Ventura County. So it is best to keep the ball low. My Hybrids only flew into the Woods and Hooked into trouble.

Good Irons keep my ball in play.

Different Strokes for different folks and Course.

My 3,4, and 5 irons are currently keeping their spots by keeping my scores low.

The Hybrids and Fairway Woods lost their spots by losing my golf balls.
Didn’t really answer my question though, no?

It's a Standard 6 iron. (y):ROFLMAO:

So which Club do you use for a 100 yard shot to a tight pin over a bunker?:eek:

Didn’t really answer my question though, no?
Ok. My Dyslexia strikes again.

How do you mean?

What was your question?

Seriously, English is my Third language....

Back