"Jacked" Lofts in 2020

My first 7-iron was 40º. Almost all of them were then.
I happen to prefer weak lofts, but nobody else seems to, so that's that.
I can't build a factory and make my own clubs.

When I took up golf, five-iron was a synonym for "mashie."
It certainly doesn't mean that anymore.

Now, if it means anything at all, it means fifth club from the top after driver, fairway wood, and two hybrids.

I've come to live with the jacked lofts because I have no choice if I want to take advantage of modern technology.
I don't have to respect the thinking behind the new numbering protocols, but I do have to live with it.

My first 7-iron was 40º. Almost all of them were then.
I happen to prefer weak lofts, but nobody else seems to, so that's that.
I can't build a factory and make my own clubs.

When I took up golf, five-iron was a synonym for "mashie."
It certainly doesn't mean that anymore.

Now, if it means anything at all, it means fifth club from the top after driver, fairway wood, and two hybrids.

I've come to live with the jacked lofts because I have no choice if I want to take advantage of modern technology.
I don't have to respect the thinking behind the new numbering protocols, but I do have to live with it.
That's a fair perspective. Have you checked out Orka golf? Not the most mainstream brands but I have a set of their iroms and they are quality built and have more traditional lofts. Plus, they look really good as well. (check out the RS10MB / RS10CB irons)

yes, once I am able to get this done I will have a thread on it.
Please post the link here when you have the thread up. :drinks:

Was thinking about this thread the past couple of days as I'm working my way thru several iron threads. This question may have been talked about as I have not read many posts in this thread.

Anyway, if I recall correctly irons are supposed to be hit with 4-8 degrees of forward shaft lean at impact. This essentially takes a 9 iron to a 8/7 iron when properly struck. SO, if someone doesn't have a lot of (or no) shaft lean at impact wouldn't this be an effective solution to getting the most out of the iron? If the "jacked" loft is 3 degrees stronger than they used to be this seems to be a great way to get the distance out of the club that people are losing with no shaft lean.

I know I'm kind of excited about moving into a stronger lofted iron set. I get maybe 1-2° of shaft lean at impact with most of my irons right now.

Thoughts?

I don’t notice any difference with the “jacked” lofts other than I hit the new clubs lower and farther than my old iron of the same number. If I go loft for loft my SZ’s are identical to my Adams CB3 & my Hogan’s

I'm all for it. If it helps me get my golf ball in the air faster and higher more power to the club! If I'm swinging a 7i but it's really a 6i or 5i, I'm ok with that. I want maximum forgiveness and length from my clubs.

I don't know if this has already been said but here goes...

It's almost like ladies clothes. Has anyone ever gone ladies clothes shopping with their lady? The sizes are all jacked up. If say, your lady is a size 8, she could wear anything from a size 4 to a size 12. It's more of a mental thing there though I think... clothing manufacturers think women don't want to admit to themselves their true size so they willingly buy incorrectly sized clothing and feel better because "it fits! It's a size 6 so I must be a size 6!" when in actuality, they only wear a 6 in that particular clothing item and all of the other clothes they wear is a size 8... but they're a 6.

Alright. It sounded better in my head.:ROFLMAO:

I'm all for it. If it helps me get my golf ball in the air faster and higher more power to the club! If I'm swinging a 7i but it's really a 6i or 5i, I'm ok with that. I want maximum forgiveness and length from my clubs.

I don't know if this has already been said but here goes...

It's almost like ladies clothes. Has anyone ever gone ladies clothes shopping with their lady? The sizes are all jacked up. If say, your lady is a size 8, she could wear anything from a size 4 to a size 12. It's more of a mental thing there though I think... clothing manufacturers think women don't want to admit to themselves their true size so they willingly buy incorrectly sized clothing and feel better because "it fits! It's a size 6 so I must be a size 6!" when in actuality, they only wear a 6 in that particular clothing item and all of the other clothes they wear is a size 8... but they're a 6.

Alright. It sounded better in my head.:ROFLMAO:
Hey!! I dont know anybody foolish enough to tell their significant other that they are wearing "jacked" clothing! ;)

Hey!! I dont know anybody foolish enough to tell their significant other that they are wearing "jacked" clothing! ;)
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! That's like answering the question "do I look fat in this?" It's a no lose proposition so don't say anything!

Seriously though, I've accompanied my wife while she clothes shops and have seen her try on several identical outfits where 1 is too small, 1 is too large and 2 fit perfectly. I'm talking the same manufacturer, same clothes, just a few different items... like 3 pairs of the same jeans and 3 of the same shirts.

I know I can walk into almost any men's store, grab 5 random pairs of 32x34 jeans and they all fit. My wife and all other women can't do that.

#thestruggleisreal:ROFLMAO:

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! That's like answering the question "do I look fat in this?" It's a no lose proposition so don't say anything!

Seriously though, I've accompanied my wife while she clothes shops and have seen her try on several identical outfits where 1 is too small, 1 is too large and 2 fit perfectly. I'm talking the same manufacturer, same clothes, just a few different items... like 3 pairs of the same jeans and 3 of the same shirts.

I know I can walk into almost any men's store, grab 5 random pairs of 32x34 jeans and they all fit. My wife and all other women can't do that.

#thestruggleisreal:ROFLMAO:
Jack Clothes. It's running straight through a Mall Near You.

Please buy your clothes responsibly :drinks::mizuno:

Jack Clothes. It's running straight through a Mall Near You.

Please buy your clothes responsibly :drinks::mizuno:

It's common with men's clothing waist sizes now too. I have jeans from the 1980's in a 32 waist that are an inch or two smaller than today's 32" jeans from the same manufacture.

From Wikipedia "Vanity Sizing"

Men's clothing[edit]
Although more common in women's apparel, vanity sizing occurs in men's clothing as well. For example, men's pants are traditionally marked with two numbers, "waist" (waist circumference) and "inseam" (distance from the crotch to the hem of the pant). While the nominal inseam is fairly accurate, the nominal waist may be quite a bit smaller than the actual waist, in US sizes. In 2010, Abram Sauer of Esquire measured several pairs of dress pants with a nominal waist size of 36 at different US retailers and found that actual measurements ranged from 37 to 41 inches.[14] The phenomenon has also been noticed in the United Kingdom, where a 2011 study found misleading labels on more than half of checked items of clothing. In that study, worst offenders understated waist circumferences by 1.5 to 2 inches. London-based market analyst Mintel say that the number of men reporting varying waistlines from store to store doubled between 2005 and 2011.[15]

Actually I noticed that. I picked up a couple of pair of Lucky jeans from Costco in my usual size. They don't fit me properly. Mostly it's because the crotch is different...

And men's dress slacks... sizes are all over the place.

so the numbers (or letters) don't mean anything on the course other than to quickly differentiate. so the number exists for marketing purposes - because distance sells (and will continue to do so), and the point of making clubs is to sell them ???

I like what Hogan did (Cleveland as well) with their stamping, it's too bad that hasn't really caught on
I would think the numbers only matter within the same set, so you have a frame of reference. Let's say you know how far you hit a 7 iron in your set. It should be fairly easy to approximate how far you hit the rest of the clubs IN THAT SET relative to the 7. Once you go to a completely different club though the numbers don't matter unless you compare the distances you get from each.

Was thinking about this thread the past couple of days as I'm working my way thru several iron threads. This question may have been talked about as I have not read many posts in this thread.

Anyway, if I recall correctly irons are supposed to be hit with 4-8 degrees of forward shaft lean at impact. This essentially takes a 9 iron to a 8/7 iron when properly struck. SO, if someone doesn't have a lot of (or no) shaft lean at impact wouldn't this be an effective solution to getting the most out of the iron? If the "jacked" loft is 3 degrees stronger than they used to be this seems to be a great way to get the distance out of the club that people are losing with no shaft lean.

I know I'm kind of excited about moving into a stronger lofted iron set. I get maybe 1-2° of shaft lean at impact with most of my irons right now.

Thoughts?

I mean, I wouldn't call it a 'solution', but in theory the distance part should be mitigated somewhat. Swing dynamics are obviously a lot more complicated than that though.

I mean, I wouldn't call it a 'solution', but in theory the distance part should be mitigated somewhat. Swing dynamics are obviously a lot more complicated than that though.
I definitely agree. I try to improve my swing every year and end up struggling because if it. My latest thought is to embrace what I've got and try to make it play.

However, since you're a very good golfer, any tips for a guy who hooks the heck out of the ball?

I definitely agree. I try to improve my swing every year and end up struggling because if it. My latest thought is to embrace what I've got and try to make it play.

However, since you're a very good golfer, any tips for a guy who hooks the heck out of the ball?

As someone who doesn't know you or your swing? No. Pass. lol I like the embrace-what-I-have-while-working-to-get-better mentality though. Big fan of that. Hopefully your jacked lofts get you a little closer, or let you ease off on your swing a little, or something similar and improve your scoring or add to the fun out there. Picked out which ones yet?

As someone who doesn't know you or your swing? No. Pass. lol I like the embrace-what-I-have-while-working-to-get-better mentality though. Big fan of that. Hopefully your jacked lofts get you a little closer, or let you ease off on your swing a little, or something similar and improve your scoring or add to the fun out there. Picked out which ones yet?
LOL, thought I'd ask! :). Everything is on the table but I do love the looks of the Mavrik Pro.

After everything that we have been recently thru, doesn't the whole debate about loft sound childish.

I am just happy to be alive and able to start golfing again.

OEM stamping and lofting, Marketing and Pimping is just Kool with me.

Mahalo :drinks:

For @Canadan in memorial to the departed. 🤣🤣🤣

Still loving mine.

Jacked lofts are cool and all until the guys in the foursome (who i outdrive on avergae by 40 yards), think they are “good” since they are hitting the “same club” as me in some par 3s lol. Only small difference is that im hitting an actual 7 iron with lots of spin (mp-20mb) and they are hitting a 5 iron with no spin, stamped as a “7” .

I have tried explaining to them is a real 5, but they say im nuts, that is a 7 hahahaaha. I just let them be and steal all their money in the skins.

Oh hello. This is my favorite thread since I joined here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back