"Jacked" Lofts in 2020

My complaint about strong lofts is for my own swing. I’m in no danger of having shots balloon. Some of these sets I’d need them 3-4° weaker to be able to play as I need more height and spin.

Don't worry @Canadan it would appear you have someone else to take up the debate with :D

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 9.54.07 AM.png

While I don’t believe the premise, I thought this was pretty funny.

308AA539-023F-4791-ABA6-BCC0761C62BF.jpeg

I had a fun discussion on the range with my uncle as he asked me how clubs have changed (as I was looking at his 20 year old irons). I explained how tech has made the irons more forgiving and easier to launch and that lofts have been strengthened accordingly. He mentioned that it made sense as he's played with golfers with a slower swing speed who took less club than him on a par 3 even though he drives the ball much further than then. It's crazy that he just shrugged and said it made sense but was indifferent to it. I'll update this after I surprise him with the set I am building him and he has to relearn his distances.. Lol.

Great thread. Yuuge thread.

Sure it must have been discussed, but although the lofts are jacked, in theory the club is a half inch shorter when you take one less. Advantage jacked lofts?

Well since my next set will be Cleveland UHX which have the loft on the club, I am not concerned. IMO as long as the PW is in the 44-46 range no problem. there are afew out there, Mavrik's come to mind witha 41 degree PW which is just rediculous to me

So the SZ 4i or going back a year to the F9 4i I find really interesting.

I have it slotted in my bag right now based on its loft. It's a 19* iron. It goes the distance and then some of a 19* club. But it launches super easy and comes in much softer than I expected. Spin wise we are also in that 4i range.

So its loft "jacked" but it launches, spins, and lands like a normally lofted 4i but with a lot more ballspeed. It's so confusing.

I guess when you realize that 90% of golfers don't pay attention to these things it maters less. I am with Jman that what shots I need to hit determines my clubs. and I spend more time on the high lofted clubs that worrying about the clubs I hit once or twice a round. And the flat stick in my bag gets a lot of attention.

For @Canadan , you need a good loft discussion! 😎

I don't pay attention to lofts - I see what the iron will do.

But I recognize, and I'm wondering why others do not, that today's iron design requires stronger lofts to lower spin and gain more distance - clubs are launching higher and you want less spin - I guess that I believe in science and don't pretend to be an engineer. And I probably did not state the above correctly.

I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night or for the last 6 months...

friend bought new clubs with a gap wedge at 45* 👀👀👀

friend bought new clubs with a gap wedge at 45* 👀👀👀
That would be my PW. I didn’t realize there was that much variance between sets.

I can tell I've lost some yardage. I think I'll go with higher shot trajectories and shorter distances for now, rather than chasing distance with stronger lofts. I usually have to go with a higher launch shaft if the lofts are too strong. And the head size I prefer is usually still a little more traditional. 46º PW is about my cutoff, which aligns with most "players"irons.

But I recognize, and I'm wondering why others do not, that today's iron design requires stronger lofts to lower spin and gain more distance - clubs are launching higher and you want less spin - I guess that I believe in science and don't pretend to be an engineer. And I probably did not state the above correctly.

Nailed it!

Well said. The loft jacked thoughts need to die...

Well said. The loft jacked thoughts need to die...
Never will, it’s low hanging fruit for people who hate change to grab onto and beat that poor horse to death.

IMO, of course :ROFLMAO:

Never will, it’s low hanging fruit for people who hate change to grab onto and beat that poor horse to death.

IMO, of course :ROFLMAO:

I share it.

Recently, I went back to playing my Bridgestone TourB HF1 irons (Jacket Lofts) and it was the best move I made all year.
My game has changed to the good, dramatically.
And you know what, none of my playing partners have asked me "What Loft is your 7 iron" as they are handing over "The Cabbage" for hitting the green and making pars.
I have a playing partner who bought a set of 710, he's 65, he didn't care what the lofts were, all he knows is that he hits the ball 10 yards further with the same iron #.

If you know how little people cared, you'd care very little.

So excited to get my set of T400's, can't stand it.

This thread is always my favorite when it gets recycled back through.

Do you carry 5 wedges?

PW / GW / GW / SW / LW?

I don't think of any club as a wedge that is less than 48 degrees. They are just a club with a distance range. I might go to a modern blade for any club more than 44.

Back