Jacks Tournament at Muirfield. Memorial

TMSHACKS

Bridgestone Staffer
Reaction score
Hello,

The memorial is the first weekend of june this coming year and looking for a weekend getaway to dublin. Its a 6 hour drive from me and thinking of getting two tickets for saturday sunday and watch some of the best.

I know that is one of the biggest draws when it comes to talent in the game and Id love to make it there. I was browing the site for the tournament and can only find weekly badges for the grounds. Do they sell tickets for individual days or no, Ive never been to a PGA event before so unsure how they handle it.

Also, Like I said Ive never been to a PGA event before so if anyone has been to this and can recomend it for good or bad id like to hear some reviews or thoughts on it. Im gonna pull the trigger on the tics soon if im going.

Just my experience and opinion, but I liked the Memorial the least of the tournaments I have been to. I still enjoyed it, just the least. I don't go any longer despite free tickets every year. It was a few things for me, again IMHO:

-I too made it into a trip and Columbus isn't that fun after the tourney is over
-The course is a hilly beast and tough to walk around to spectate
-It is a little too well attended if you know what I mean, sooo many people vying for a decent view of the good holes
-Very expensive food/drinks/anything but that has become the norm for sporting events and is not exclusive to this tourney by any stretch. I think beers were $8 the last time I went and a hotdog was $5. That is just gouging.
-Almost always brutally hot since it is in June

On the other side of the coin, I would compliment these aspects:

-well ran, plenty of food/drink stands and restrooms as well as helpful volunteers. The organization borders or even beats the US Open I attended.
-some unreal nice homes to see while walking the course

If you go, I hope you enjoy yourself.

im a local here. lived in columbus almost my whole life. The muirfield tickets are sold as a week long package. But if you jump on craigslist.com/columbus - there are tons of people selling their tickets for days they are not going. since you are so far i wouldnt RELY on it - but it is an option.

Its not that hard walking it - i like to walk a few holes - find a nice green and sit and watch them come up and putt. there are definately alot of people though - and tiger's throng is pretty crazy at times.

Weather is hit or miss. It seems it usually rains atleast one day - and a rainy muirfield is a beast to walk as the hills become muddy if you venture off the cart paths.

The food/alcohol is available in a lot of places - i dont think its terribly overpriced - 7-8 for a big beer seems the norm at most ballparks these days.

if you have any questions - food/dining in the area let me know - been living here for 32 years! lol

Ill be going sunday too btw - i love seeing the leaders come up 18 - the gallery gives them a good applause

I've attended the memorial for the last 7 years or so and I would recommend it to anyone; as long as you go in prepared. I like to get there early and watch the early wave putt before they tee off. I go Friday mornings and its easy to get 'on the rope' of the putting green right outside the clubhouse. From there, you can watch them tee off on both #1 and #10. After watching the guys tee off, I usually go camp out at greenside #8. Its an easy walk from the 1/10 tees, its a tough (but fair) hole, and has food / bathrooms near by. I never have an issue getting a greenside spot on the rope; as long as you're there by 11 or so.

Now if you want to go and follow a group for all 18 holes, then yes it will be challenging to walk. The course is pretty spread out, so it could be a long day. I think the food select ion / prices are comparable to the Bridgestone Invitational.

I have gone to the memorial the last 3 years and it is one of my favorites that I have attended. They only sell daily badges during one week in january or so, other than that the only way to get the single day badges is craigslist. My uncle always gets me badges because he is a caddy on tour. Anyhow, it is a hilly course to walk, but its not too bad. It is a beautiful course to see, probably one of the nicest looking courses on tour IMO, and i've spoken to some of the caddies that feel the same way. It is definitely worth going to see at least once. Last year I went for the skins game Wednesday and that was a lot of fun too. Definitely go check this tournament out at least once since you don't live too far away. Its about a 4 hour drive for me.

Hello,

The memorial is the first weekend of june this coming year and looking for a weekend getaway to dublin. Its a 6 hour drive from me and thinking of getting two tickets for saturday sunday and watch some of the best.

I know that is one of the biggest draws when it comes to talent in the game and Id love to make it there. I was browing the site for the tournament and can only find weekly badges for the grounds. Do they sell tickets for individual days or no, Ive never been to a PGA event before so unsure how they handle it.

Also, Like I said Ive never been to a PGA event before so if anyone has been to this and can recomend it for good or bad id like to hear some reviews or thoughts on it. Im gonna pull the trigger on the tics soon if im going.

Great event to go see. I disagree with most things All4's said. Jack built the course with a lot of mounding for spectators vantage points prior to the run of stadium courses. There are a lot of great viewing points and you can get literally a couple feet from the players. The practice range has great seating for viewing if you want to watch there also. Send me a message if you want and I'll send you more details. I've been to 20+ Memorials, the Ryder Cup, Solheim Cup and US Am when it was there.

I have been to both the memorial in columbus and Bridgestone Invitational in Akron (Firestone).

I much prefer the Bridgestone Invitational. Smaller (and better) field as it is a WGC event, and the course is more spectator friendly IMO. Besides, #16 is one of the most fun golf holes I have ever watched.

Back