JDax’s 2021 Iron Search

Which 2021 Iron Set will Win a spot in my Bag?

• Srixon ZX5

Votes: 35 19.8%
  • Cobra RAD Speed OL

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • Cobra Forged Tec OL

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • Mizuno JPX 921 Forged

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • XXIO X

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Callaway New Apex Line (Assuming there is one)

Votes: 33 18.6%
  • Callaway Apex CF19 (Incumbent)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Ben Hogan PTx Pro

Votes: 11 6.2%

• Total voters
I voted for The ZX5’s. I love the XXIO X line in the woods but the irons that Srixon is putting on the market are simply superb.
I thought about you talking about XXIO , when I threw them on the list.

I loved my Srixon 545's and then flipped to Cleveland Launcher(non Turbo), like them but missed my 545's so went out and bought Cleveland CBX. IMO, Srixon/Cleveland are underrated clubs. Though Srixon has a great following in Japan, and Cleveland was one of the top of line clubs back in the mid 60's- late 70's, gotta stay with both. Happy hunting.

I loved my Srixon 545's and then flipped to Cleveland Launcher(non Turbo), like them but missed my 545's so went out and bought Cleveland CBX. IMO, Srixon/Cleveland are underrated clubs. Though Srixon has a great following in Japan, and Cleveland was one of the top of line clubs back in the mid 60's- late 70's, gotta stay with both. Happy hunting.
Was the ZX5s your vote?

Honestly, If I was picking from this list I'd split a OL set between RAD and FT. Probably 4i-6i Rad, and 7i-PW FT. I've got VL wedges, but I'm starting to inch closer and closer toward OL wedges. I like JB's set up with the VL 60* because that's not often a full swing club.

Honestly, If I was picking from this list I'd split a OL set between RAD and FT. Probably 4i-6i Rad, and 7i-PW FT. I've got VL wedges, but I'm starting to inch closer and closer toward OL wedges. I like JB's set up with the VL 60* because that's not often a full swing club.
I will play a OL 56 in mine that matches my length, and then variable 62, because I never full swing that club. I’m digging it so far.

What happened to the Hogans?
DEBCCA5C-D411-40F9-A011-09EBF6A34523.jpeg
There are right here in my Ben Hogan bag...
Where are your Hogan’s, the ones you won at the 2019 Ben Hogan Experience?

I would probably have Variable length Wedges... Like a 54° and 58° in the ZipCore or Equalizer ... Maybe throw a 58° PM grind in there.

It really depends on how close you let the poll watchers sit to those counting the votes. I kid. I kid.

I say the new Apex irons, due to loyalty factors.

Although the soft spot in my heart wants to see you continue to game the PTx Pro, since you are intent on changing I will say the JPX 921 HMP.

It really depends on how close you let the poll watchers sit to those counting the votes. I kid. I kid.

I say the new Apex irons, due to loyalty factors.
Watch there be a 3 AM dump of votes for the XXIO irons after getting beat like a drum the whole time.... lol

Quietly, the Mizuno’s are garnering some action, if not splitting votes, Mizuno would be in 2nd place.

One iron I don't think gets enough attention in the Wilson/Staff D7 Forged. I wouldn't pay $1000 for them personally, but maybe they drop in price in 2021.

One iron I don't think gets enough attention in the Wilson/Staff D7 Forged. I wouldn't pay $1000 for them personally, but maybe they drop in price in 2021.
Are you looking for new irons this year?

Except for not having a chance to get fitted (unless you live in Illinois) the Sub70 irons are exceptional and the customer service and price are unbeatable. Jason will do a good job of setting you up with the best set and shafts to fit you.

Maybe its just me, but if I had been given a new set of Hogan irons, with custom UST Recoils, at a THP Experience, just over a month ago, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be looking for something else. :confused2:

Are you looking for new irons this year?
No sir. Staying with the PTx Pros. Rather put my money into more lessons and practicing.

Maybe its just me, but if I had been given a new set of Hogan irons, with custom UST Recoils, at a THP Experience, just over a month ago, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be looking for something else. :confused2:
I want to post this only because I don’t want people thinking @JDax is giving up on his irons. He is still playing them and reviewing them (in that thread) but is looking for his next set in 2021. He actually sent me a PM regarding this before starting the thread.

I’m absolutely continuing to play and review those irons, as I said this process could take months.

I’m answering all questions and comments on those here:

Last edited:
Watch there be a 3 AM dump of votes for the XXIO irons after getting beat like a drum the whole time.... lol
though XXIO is in the Srixon/Cleveland Family, IMO they are for SR golfers and those with Mid/Hi HCP's. Don't get me wrong I fit into that demographic and would love to see if they are a fit for me. I just like the way I feel playing my CBX's, HB Launchers and really miss my 545's(but that's why the CBX's).

though XXIO is in the Srixon/Cleveland Family, IMO they are for SR golfers and those with Mid/Hi HCP's. Don't get me wrong I fit into that demographic and would love to see if they are a fit for me. I just like the way I feel playing my CBX's, HB Launchers and really miss my 545's(but that's why the CBX's).
As someone playing the XXIO X until recently, that set is geared towards a different player. @Canadan and @Jman break them down in this video.

Back