JDax’s 2021 Iron Search

Which 2021 Iron Set will Win a spot in my Bag?

• Srixon ZX5

Votes: 35 19.8%
  • Cobra RAD Speed OL

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • Cobra Forged Tec OL

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • Mizuno JPX 921 Forged

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • XXIO X

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Callaway New Apex Line (Assuming there is one)

Votes: 33 18.6%
  • Callaway Apex CF19 (Incumbent)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Ben Hogan PTx Pro

Votes: 11 6.2%

• Total voters
I wish you the best of luck in reaching the apex of your club search.
It is save to say that my search has concluded at the Apex...

Was it any one particular thing with the XXIOs?

I know you’re an Apex guy, and the 2021s are so legit, it’d be tough not to go back.

Was it any one particular thing with the XXIOs?
Honestly not a thing is wrong with the XXIO X Black irons, I enjoyed playing them for the last several months. Everything that I said about them still holds true.
There were a few factors that lead to circling back on the iron choice:

I didn't get to fully test the DCBs when I made the decision, I tested the regular Apex in this testing. The DCBs arrived at the tech studio on Decision Day, but I needed to make a call, and didn't have the time to put the DCBs through the same criteria as the other irons.

There was a Grandaddy contest last week, and as much I attempt to branch out and try other things, I rep the G and I'm a Callaway Guy at heart. Entering that contest got me thinking if I should look at those Apex's again. Also, @HuddieJ got some Apex Pros to go along with his X-Forged CBs & @e1iterate pulled the trigger on some Apex irons, so I got Apex envy. Callaway is like my main girl & Cleveland/Srixon/XXIO is like the side chick. You think about leaving the main for the side chick, but you don't. It wasn't Cleveland/Srixon/XXIO it was me.

More Ball Speed... The 2 irons in the Tech Studio that I have been able to generate the most ball speed with are the Apex DCBs & ZX4.

Last edited:
I know you’re an Apex guy, and the 2021s are so legit, it’d be tough not to go back.
I mean could I really let a release cycle go by when new Apex's dropped and not play them?

Honestly not a thing is wrong with the XXIO X Black irons, I enjoyed playing them for the last several months. Everything that I said about them still holds true.
There were a few factors that lead to circling back on the iron choice:

I didn't get to fully test the DCBs when I made the decision, I tested the regular Apex in this testing. The DCBs arrived at the tech studio on Decision Day, but I needed to make a call, and didn't have the time to put the DCBs through the same criteria as the other irons.

There was a Grandaddy contest last week, and as much I attempt to branch out and try other things, I rep the G and I'm a Callaway Guy at heart. Entering that contest got me thinking if I should look at those Apex's again. Also, @HuddieJ got some Apex Pros to go along with his X-Forged CBs & @e1iterate pulled the trigger on some Apex irons, so I got Apex envy. Callaway is like my main girl & Cleveland/Srixon/XXIO is like the side chick. You think about leaving the main for the side chick, but you don't. It wasn't Cleveland/Srixon/XXIO it was me.

More Ball Speed... The 2 irons in the Tech Studio that I have been able to generate the most ball speed with are the Apex DCBs & RX4.

Perfectly understandable. Love the side chick analogy!

Perfectly understandable. Love the side chick analogy!
It should be a testimony to how underrated & great the XXIO X Black irons are that they made this decision very very hard. The new XXIO X irons drop next year, and I'll be paying attention.

I mean could I really let a release cycle go by when new Apex's dropped and not play them?
Ha ha. I predicted that you would go with Apex way back during your selection process. My timing was off, but my prediction was not.

I have never owned a set of Callaway's. Don't know why, it just really never fell into place and the time and place i was looking. I did hit a friends Apex Pro's last week and OMG ! that was one solid iron and i was deadly with it right offf the jump. They are not in my budget right now, b ut i bet i could be someday. it would not be a char look at all.

899FBA14-72B4-4267-8D70-6F463867B326.jpeg
It’s great to be home... I think I could even beat Jason Finley with these irons.

UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Proto
I figured you were sticking with the same shafts, but thought that I’d check. I hope that the irons work great for you.

I figured you were sticking with the same shafts, but thought that I’d check. I hope that the irons work great for you.
There may have been a driver shaft change. This is his iron search thread though haha

When do the XXIO’s hit the market?

Back