JDax’s 2021 Iron Search

Which 2021 Iron Set will Win a spot in my Bag?

• Srixon ZX5

Votes: 35 19.8%
  • Cobra RAD Speed OL

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • Cobra Forged Tec OL

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • Mizuno JPX 921 Forged

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • XXIO X

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Callaway New Apex Line (Assuming there is one)

Votes: 33 18.6%
  • Callaway Apex CF19 (Incumbent)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Ben Hogan PTx Pro

Votes: 11 6.2%

• Total voters
You know know my name is in the hat to possibly Captain Team Hackers, if that happens, this whole experiment ends with one of the Cobra options... That’s a good scenario too...

Lot of competition for that spot, hope you’re able to give the ptx pros a fair shake, those irons are gorgeous

Lot of competition for that spot, hope you’re able to give the ptx pros a fair shake, those irons are gorgeous
9816E230-57B1-4DF8-AB19-424A7AEA4531.gif
They will be in my bag this weekend...

I picked the Callaway Apex line, however could also see you swinging the Srixon line. Going to be fun following along.
I’m sure you will be sharing the data with us?

I picked the Callaway Apex line, however could also see you swinging the Srixon line. Going to be fun following along.
I’m sure you will be sharing the data with us?
Absolutely... I will share the data and the reasoning behind the decision.

What is the best way for @JDax to test these? 7 irons shafted exactly the same for each set? 2 clubs from each?

What is the best way for @JDax to test these? 7 irons shafted exactly the same for each set? 2 clubs from each?

His favorite club is the 8i.

I was thinking about this...
I would go 8 iron length in the OL set, just like the set in the Tech Studio.

Should we test 7 irons to create a difference between the OL & the variable options?

I’m open to defining the test conditions, thoughts from the THP Universe?

Cobra RADSPEED OL. They're the new hotness. And are Cobra so... if you make captain, it's a given.(y) I know I'm not the first to mention these though so...

What's the testing criteria going to be, that's what I'd like to know.

I would probably have Variable length Wedges... Like a 54° and 58° in the ZipCore or Equalizer ... Maybe throw a 58° PM grind in there.
I loved my old 60* PM grind. Its a funny looking head shape but really functional. Cobra has done some great stuff with their MIM wedges too. Their Versatile grind really is versatile. You can open the face up and it sits right and doesn't dig or bounce.

Cobra RADSPEED OL. They're the new hotness. And are Cobra so... if you make captain, it's a given.(y) I know I'm not the first to mention these though so...

What's the testing criteria going to be, that's what I'd like to know.
I’m working on that, originally my idea is to hit each one of the irons listed with the same gamer shaft (Recoil Proto 95 or 110- I can play either going to ask Danny what he thinks).

I’ve been conversing with @JB about what is the best way of conducting such a test, because I want to share the journey to better (see what I did there) & decision with the forum.

I’m also open to thoughts on what the testing criteria should be, like in the post above, should it be 7 or 8 iron (at the ECPC it’s 6 iron). Once we define the exact testing protocol, I’ll announce it in thread.

While that’s being decided, one of the irons on the list (Ben Hogan PTx Pro) will be in my bag as part of my review process from the UST Mamiya/Ben Hogan Event.

Also, I don’t know what iron will win, but I do know that UST Mamiya Recoil Protos will be the shaft. #ShaftUp

Also, I don’t know what iron will win, but I do know that UST Mamiya Recoil Protos will be the shaft. #ShaftUp

95 or 110?

I am not looking to make a change in irons this year, but the OL revolution is certainly intriguing. I think one length makes its way into @JDax's bag one way or another.

I am not looking to make a change in irons this year, but the OL revolution is certainly intriguing. I think one length makes its way into @JDax's bag one way or another.

Which one did you pick?

95 or 110?
I can play either comfortably, I got 110s at the event to lower my ball flight (but I have 95s in my Apex CF19, so I’ve been playing both). I’m going to ask Danny & then decide on what shaft will be used....

The two OLs combined are now in the lead... 👀

0902C94D-7948-4ABB-A48E-94EB6864A6CB.gif

I haven't hit any other than the HMP (or at least not in the iteration you have listed - I've hit the prior model of the Srixon and the Cobra, for example), and I just did an exchange of the Mavrik Stds I had for the HMPs. So, I went with HMP as my vote.

I haven't hit any other than the HMP (or at least not in the iteration you have listed - I've hit the prior model of the Srixon and the Cobra, for example), and I just did an exchange of the Mavrik Stds I had for the HMPs. So, I went with HMP as my vote.
Hearing a lot of great things about that irons, can’t wait to see how it tests out.

Before all the reading on the Cobra RAD I would have voted for the HMPs if GI leaning was the route you were looking toward. One of the few newer irons I've actually hit and I can tell you they are really nice.

Ideal test protocol, maybe really hard to pull off. If I had unlimited access to equipment and GC Quad....and with the OL element, I would want to see data from three clubs. 6i, 8i, PW. (since you're going OL at 8i length). All of course same shaft and ball. If it were all a VL test, then only one iron (6 or 7i) would suffice. but we want more data and evidence on the OL revolution!

Ideal test protocol, maybe really hard to pull off. If I had unlimited access to equipment and GC Quad....and with the OL element, I would want to see data from three clubs. 6i, 8i, PW. (since you're going OL at 8i length). All of course same shaft and ball. If it were all a VL test, then only one iron (6 or 7i) would suffice. but we want more data and evidence on the OL revolution!

Since there is OL involved and he is most likely going to have to do this over a brief period, do you think it is safe to do a single iron from each shafted the same and see how it goes?

Since there is OL involved and he is most likely going to have to do this over a brief period, do you think it is safe to do a single iron from each shafted the same and see how it goes?

So he's not moving into the mini door room of the Tech Studio? ;)

that's the rub. if it's just about what iron head is the best for him...then yeah a single iron would be more than enough to me. When comparing between OL offerings or VL vs. OL then it gets more complicated IMO.

I'd like to see how is dispersion between irons and OL/VL compares. not just launch, ball speed, spin etc.

So he's not moving into the mini door room of the Tech Studio? ;)

that's the rub. if it's just about what iron head is the best for him...then yeah a single iron would be more than enough to me. When comparing between OL offerings or VL vs. OL then it gets more complicated IMO.
Thats the rub. You want someone to test without getting tired, so it is tough. Perhaps and this is just my thinking. Test all irons with the head number of choice. Once you get it paired down, you bring in more to facilitate OL or VL.

But its not my test thankfully.

Back