I own a 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. I don’t know if that really counts as owning a Jeep.

Unfortunately, I pour cold water on the thread. I would never ever purchase another one. This vehicle has had $10,000 worth of repairs and it only has 76,000 miles. Right now, I have been waiting for a month for the parts to come in for a new rear differential. I don’t dare drive it anywhere far or rough while I wait. Now, my climate system has stopped working, for the second time. I am driving around in 90 plus degree temps with no A/C and no fan.

I am thoroughly disappointed and was so excited when I purchased it, thinking that it was the perfect vehicle for my wants and needs.
Nope, the only one I would get would be a Wrangler or maybe the new gladiator but it's still too early to tell. Most of the others don't have the same reliability as the regular jeeps do.

Really excited for the jeep to get here, even though we have a bit. Hoping to get the door holder finished and the Hoist-a-top installed this weekend. Gotta work in the garage around drill this weekend organizing and getting things ready. Won't be able to do a ton as it's supposed to rain and I'm not pulling the 86 chevy out to sit in the rain while I work. lol

Nope, the only one I would get would be a Wrangler or maybe the new gladiator but it's still too early to tell. Most of the others don't have the same reliability as the regular jeeps do.
My wife only likes the wrangler 2 dr, and since we have ours I love the wrangler. Wouldn't want anything else. Smooth on hyway, traveled about 5 miles at 70. Not choppy or bouncy.

I own a 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. I don’t know if that really counts as owning a Jeep.

Unfortunately, I pour cold water on the thread. I would never ever purchase another one. This vehicle has had $10,000 worth of repairs and it only has 76,000 miles. Right now, I have been waiting for a month for the parts to come in for a new rear differential. I don’t dare drive it anywhere far or rough while I wait. Now, my climate system has stopped working, for the second time. I am driving around in 90 plus degree temps with no A/C and no fan.

I am thoroughly disappointed and was so excited when I purchased it, thinking that it was the perfect vehicle for my wants and needs.
That really stinks man. We looked at Grand Cherokees and it was honestly the smoothest ride I've ever drove/ridden in. I see them everywhere and this is the first I've heard of problems like that.

This is one reason we went with a wrangler is track record.

My wife only likes the wrangler 2 dr, and since we have ours I love the wrangler. Wouldn't want anything else. Smooth on hyway, traveled about 5 miles at 70. Not choppy or bouncy.
Everyone that I speak to that owns a jeep around me tells me I won't want anything else once we own a wrangler.

That really stinks man. We looked at Grand Cherokees and it was honestly the smoothest ride I've ever drove/ridden in. I see them everywhere and this is the first I've heard of problems like that.
That is what sold me on it. I am not an off-road geek, but I wanted a true four wheel drive-type vehicle, to get me into the back woods where I love to fish and hike. For years, I had a Land Rover. As we all know, most of the SUVs nowadays are unibody, cars, marketed as something different. My only real options were another Land Rover, a ForeRunner or the Grand Cherokee. I didn’t want to spend $85,000 and the ride and luxury in the Grand Cherokee was so much better than the Toyota that I went with the Grand Cherokee.

The one happy chapter in the story is that I bought an extended warranty, so most of the repairs have been covered, but at 125,000 miles, the warranty ends and I am going to have a tough decision to make. I usually drive my vehicles until they are breaking down, but they shouldn’t be breaking down at 75,000 miles.

Has anybody who is purchasing a Jeep made a comparison with the new Broncos?

That is what sold me on it. I am not an off-road geek, but I wanted a true four wheel drive-type vehicle, to get me into the back woods where I love to fish and hike. For years, I had a Land Rover. As we all know, most of the SUVs nowadays are unibody, cars, marketed as something different. My only real options were another Land Rover, a ForeRunner or the Grand Cherokee. I didn’t want to spend $85,000 and the ride and luxury in the Grand Cherokee was so much better than the Toyota that I went with the Grand Cherokee.

The one happy chapter in the story is that I bought an extended warranty, so most of the repairs have been covered, but at 125,000 miles, the warranty ends and I am going to have a tough decision to make. I usually drive my vehicles until they are breaking down, but they shouldn’t be breaking down at 75,000 miles.
agreed. It's part of the reason we got the Sahara. We really liked the Rubicon, but we wouldn't use it's features. Our Jeep will be a pavement princess. lol. Probably put a pair of meaty all terrains when I put new rims on it, but won't do mud tires and even if we do a lift, it will only be a 2-2.5".

We looked at those too. Price tag was higher than the Jeep for the one we wanted so I steered away lol. They look great though as long as it's not the sport model. Size wise I think it was about the same.

Another reason we steered clear as it was the first year bringing them back. Usually first gens have a ton of recalls.

1C433105-6369-44CB-8EDB-C3549DBF3D80.jpeg
I’ve had mine for about a year and a half. I put the 2” mopar lift on it and the sun rider top that replaces the freedom panels. It’s the 2.0 turbo with etorque and so far I’ve been very pleased with it. Fairly peppy and drives well, no real issues other than a slight pull to the right since putting the lift on but it’s not super noticeable unless I’m on back roads with a lot of crown.

View attachment 9028185
I’ve had mine for about a year and a half. I put the 2” mopar lift on it and the sun rider top that replaces the freedom panels. It’s the 2.0 turbo with etorque and so far I’ve been very pleased with it. Fairly peppy and drives well, no real issues other than a slight pull to the right since putting the lift on but it’s not super noticeable unless I’m on back roads with a lot of crown.
That looks really good! the 2" lift looks good. That's probably what we will go with as I don't want it super high. Are those 33s or 35s? and those are the BFG KO2s correct?

That looks really good! the 2" lift looks good. That's probably what we will go with as I don't want it super high. Are those 33s or 35s? and those are the BFG KO2s correct?
They are 33's, though there is room for 35's and I kinda wish I had gone a touch bigger. I stayed with the 33's because I liked the stock rims a lot and didn't want to swap out. They are Goodyear Duratrac's. I've had good luck with them on my work truck so I stuck with them. I think they might be a bit heavy, but outside of that I'm very happy with how it's turned out so far.

agreed. It's part of the reason we got the Sahara. We really liked the Rubicon, but we wouldn't use it's features. Our Jeep will be a pavement princess. lol. Probably put a pair of meaty all terrains when I put new rims on it, but won't do mud tires and even if we do a lift, it will only be a 2-2.5".
Mine came with the BFG KO2's which is my favorite look out of all of them. I had them on a couple trucks in the past and have never had a flat or anything even after driving out on mesquite covered ranches. I think I did get a screw in the current set but I noticed it before it dropped the pressure much so no big deal to get it patched. I have almost 60K miles on them and think I can probably get another 12-15K out of them. They may be more expensive than others but they last.

They are 33's, though there is room for 35's and I kinda wish I had gone a touch bigger. I stayed with the 33's because I liked the stock rims a lot and didn't want to swap out. They are Goodyear Duratrac's. I've had good luck with them on my work truck so I stuck with them. I think they might be a bit heavy, but outside of that I'm very happy with how it's turned out so far.
I plan to put 20's on ours eventually, but I will do it with tires and lift so it's all done together haha. We are going to drive it as is for a bit, plus save up for those mods. Probably the biggest ones we will do. The lift, rims, and tires will probably cost around 6k for it all.

I plan to put 20's on ours eventually, but I will do it with tires and lift so it's all done together haha. We are going to drive it as is for a bit, plus save up for those mods. Probably the biggest ones we will do. The lift, rims, and tires will probably cost around 6k for it all.
That sounds about right, I think I got the tires, lift, a hitch (it was a bit more expensive for the hitch because they had to run the wires, was not done at the factory) all done at the dealership so add some $$ there as well and I was just under that. Rims wouldn't quite wash out by selling the take offs but might be fairly close and I was around that mark. I could have had it done cheaper but they'll cover warranty since they did it.

That sounds about right, I think I got the tires, lift, a hitch (it was a bit more expensive for the hitch because they had to run the wires, was not done at the factory) all done at the dealership so add some $$ there as well and I was just under that. Rims wouldn't quite wash out by selling the take offs but might be fairly close and I was around that mark. I could have had it done cheaper but they'll cover warranty since they did it.
Yep. We will be doing it the same way as we got the bumper to bumper lifetime warranty and if we do a lift ourselves, it voids that. Plus my philosophy is if it breaks then they gotta fix it if they did it lol. I think the quote for the lift was $2500 installed when we ordered.

Yep. We will be doing it the same way as we got the bumper to bumper lifetime warranty and if we do a lift ourselves, it voids that. Plus my philosophy is if it breaks then they gotta fix it if they did it lol. I think the quote for the lift was $2500 installed when we ordered.
I got the HD tire carrier as well ($750 ish ouch) but I want to say that was identical or very near it for the quote I got. To keep the warranty it's worth spending a little more on the front end I think.

I got the HD tire carrier as well ($750 ish ouch) but I want to say that was identical or very near it for the quote I got. To keep the warranty it's worth spending a little more on the front end I think.
Absolutely, especially when we are getting a lifetime bumper to bumper! I will be replacing the bumpers eventually. I'll have to get the HD tire carrier too if we do the bigger wheels and tires.

She’s all done! Door holder ready!
4CC0D96A-1176-4D31-8669-E3399A7A50D0.jpeg

here’s the link with the measurements and instructions if anyone would like it.

Last edited:
You will have to post pics once you get it set up. I'm looking forward to the Lange setup I have on the way.
Update. An hour after I ordered the kit, they sent me an email canceling the order because they "can't deliver to a PO box address". My Paypal account lists both my PO Box and street address. Apparently this was too difficult for their system to sort out and rather than emailing me and asking for my street address, they chose to cancel it. So, I went to the local hardware store and purchased the items I needed to make the strap system and it cost me approximately $20.
I have 10'6" of room for the hoist pulley to the ground and it was barely enough room to get the top lifted off so I could drive out from under it. I want to make some changes to get the hoist pulley up another foot or so.

How much did they charge you to install the hitch? I did it myself as I was just bolting the hitch itself to the frame behind the bumper and the wire was a plug and play that connected with the tail lights. I think I had to take off the left tail light and run it through to the bottom and over to the hitch but it was easy. I got it done in about 30 minutes and most of that was just trying to finagle the hitch and bolts in there so I didn't have to take off the back bumper. Actually I'll give my cousin credit because he was the one that finally got it haha.

How much did they charge you to install the hitch? I did it myself as I was just bolting the hitch itself to the frame behind the bumper and the wire was a plug and play that connected with the tail lights. I think I had to take off the left tail light and run it through to the bottom and over to the hitch but it was easy. I got it done in about 30 minutes and most of that was just trying to finagle the hitch and bolts in there so I didn't have to take off the back bumper. Actually I'll give my cousin credit because he was the one that finally got it haha.
I'd have to go back and look, they told me that they didn't run the factory harness connector thingy when it was built so they had to snake it through the frame and wire it into the fuse box or something similar to that. When I ordered it they hadn't looked to see if it was pre-wired and plug and play like many are. I didn't personally look but I've got a pretty decent relationship with them so I believe what they told me.

Back