Jim McLean Building Block Approach

Reframmellator

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I still think there is no substitute for the right live golf instructor for you. Some of the best instruction I've had involved the coach putting my body into the proper positions during the swing. After some constructive feedback from this site on my swing video, I dusted off my Jim McLean Building Block Approach video set to see whether I could find some additional help. I found this set very useful. It might work for you if you:
  • like to break things down into smaller steps
  • like checkpoints along the way to be sure you are on track and where you can go off the rails
  • like to know why a teacher is emphasizing certain principles. He backs up his approach with multiple video clips of accomplished golfers.
  • you like video examples, as opposed to photos, drawings, or texts
I found his instruction to be very helpful in understanding the proper positioning of the hands, wrists, and arms at address, halfway back, at the top, and impact. With about eight hours of watching the videos and checking my swing at various checkpoints, for the last three rounds, I've been able to move from a moderate slice with a very strong grip to a much straighter, slightly longer ball with the occasional draw using a neutral grip. I have an in-to-out swing path about 40% of the time, and the O>Is are usually under three degrees. I am seeing more consistency in my ball flight - a big goal I had for this year.

I know I'm going to have bad spells, but I think I now have some basic tools that I can use to establish a repeatable enough swing, and diganose more problems when I have them. For some reason, his videos and approach seemed to click for me at this time, and I thought I'd pass along my experiences here in case someone is looking for this type of instruction. I think the DVD set is out of print, but I believe you can find the videos with a GolfPass subscription.

I still think there is no substitute for the right live golf instructor for you. Some of the best instruction I've had involved the coach putting my body into the proper positions during the swing. After some constructive feedback from this site on my swing video, I dusted off my Jim McLean Building Block Approach video set to see whether I could find some additional help. I found this set very useful. It might work for you if you:
  • like to break things down into smaller steps
  • like checkpoints along the way to be sure you are on track and where you can go off the rails
  • like to know why a teacher is emphasizing certain principles. He backs up his approach with multiple video clips of accomplished golfers.
  • you like video examples, as opposed to photos, drawings, or texts
I found his instruction to be very helpful in understanding the proper positioning of the hands, wrists, and arms at address, halfway back, at the top, and impact. With about eight hours of watching the videos and checking my swing at various checkpoints, for the last three rounds, I've been able to move from a moderate slice with a very strong grip to a much straighter, slightly longer ball with the occasional draw using a neutral grip. I have an in-to-out swing path about 40% of the time, and the O>Is are usually under three degrees. I am seeing more consistency in my ball flight - a big goal I had for this year.

I know I'm going to have bad spells, but I think I now have some basic tools that I can use to establish a repeatable enough swing, and diganose more problems when I have them. For some reason, his videos and approach seemed to click for me at this time, and I thought I'd pass along my experiences here in case someone is looking for this type of instruction. I think the DVD set is out of print, but I believe you can find the videos with a GolfPass subscription.

finding instruction that strikes a chord is good, but more often than not, the honeymoon can be short lived and one finds one's self going down the rabbit hole of cycling through a maze of different instructors. I currently have only two that I follow regularly. Both essentially are putting forth the same instruction but in different nuances. This is all the variety I need when I feel myself getting complacent. In any event, I wish you continued success on your sojourn.

I think instructors are in some ways like clubs: every one will work for somebody, but no one will work for everybody. With instructors, I think it’s also important to limit mix and match. And, an instructor is more likely to be helpful to a higher handicapper.

Back