Joaquin Niemann's look-a little too casual?

no such thing!

I just don't get it. Payne Stewart wore Plus 4s when nobody else was wearing them. John Daly is famous for his Loudmouth outfits. Ian Poulter wears the ugliest pants he can possibly find. Rickie Fowler spent years walking around the course looking like a glow in the dark citrus fruit, and has shown up in Hawaiian shirts for a few tournaments. Tiger wore blade collars. Cameron Champ can't even find two shoes that match. Now all of a sudden people are losing their minds because this kid was in joggers and didn't have his shirt tucked in.
haha, I do get it. Double flaw.

1- not tucked in
2- basically a t-shirt

I get that not everyone agrees, and I am good with that, I just think tucked shirts represent professionalism. I also don't see why shirts should not have collars. It's pretty wide open to interpretation what is appropriate on the tour, and tons of freedom, but I like maintaining the collar, the tuck, and the pants (even if joggers). Totally personal preference.

I wonder how many players adidas went to before they found one who said "O.K.-I'll wear that" or if the outfit was created for Niemann. Certainly being thin helps this particular look.

Looks fine to me, looks like what a soccer player would wear when it's cooler. Pro golfers should be seen as athletes and clothing that accentuates that shouldn't really be looked down upon, IMO.

haha, I do get it. Double flaw.

1- not tucked in
2- basically a t-shirt

I get that not everyone agrees, and I am good with that, I just think tucked shirts represent professionalism. I also don't see why shirts should not have collars. It's pretty wide open to interpretation what is appropriate on the tour, and tons of freedom, but I like maintaining the collar, the tuck, and the pants (even if joggers). Totally personal preference.

I have played golf in a t shirt and shorts at a muni and possibly not wearing shoes where there is no dress code. As long as the course allows it, then go for it as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, this is a sloppy look.

Most places I'd get fired if I wore a mechanic's outfit to work too. Or an NBA or NFL uniform, or a farmer or oil rig worker's clothes.

are you trying to be witty?

I feel professional golfers shouldn't look like someone leaving the gym.

You're welcome to feel however you want about pros wearing crappy looking clothes :drinks:

I'd get fired if I wore that to work!
You’re not a player on the PGA tour though, and you don’t have an apparel contract. He is, and does, and everything was fine.
He probably sold a ton of joggers also. He might get a bonus.

I have played golf in a t shirt and shorts at a muni and possibly not wearing shoes where there is no dress code. As long as the course allows it, then go for it as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, this is a sloppy look.
I do get that it's a sloppy look, I don't disagree with that part of it at all. He pulls it off because he's young and lean, but it would definitely be a bad look on a lot of guys. Honestly, I'm surprised the PGA Tour allows it - I always figured their dress code included collared shirts.

I guess I don’t understand why golf, an athletic pursuit, needs to be played in a collared shirt and slacks. They used to play baseball in ties, too. Maybe we should bring that back.

I guess I don’t understand why golf, an athletic pursuit, needs to be played in a collared shirt and slacks. They used to play baseball in ties, too. Maybe we should bring that back.

I'm no more offended by this look than I am by Rickie Fowlers Hawaiian clothing.

I'm no more offended by this look than I am by Rickie Fowlers Hawaiian clothing.
The Magnum PI collection.

The untucked shirt? Meh. Don't care.

The elastic band pseudo-joggers? Didn't like.

I’m surprised the THP fashion police have let DJ slide for wearing the hoodie yesterday morning. Only one person has mentioned it so far...
From what I’m starting to see out of these young guys on the tour, a lot of you guys are going to be up in arms this year.
Who’s ready for Tiger in a hoodie and joggers at Augusta? :p

the mock necks are dorky... Xander looked not great too... i was thinking the adidas stylist should get fired :LOL:

You’re not a player on the PGA tour though, and you don’t have an apparel contract. He is, and does, and everything was fine.
He probably sold a ton of joggers also. He might get a bonus.
Lol Joaquin Niemann isn’t moving the needle on any apparel sales

Who cares what they wear. You only sound elitist and snobbish if it matters enough to you. Worry more about their skill or lack of

Lol Joaquin Niemann isn’t moving the needle on any apparel sales
Lol, yeah, I think you’re right... my bad. 👍
Although what do we know about what the young kids like or think?

Lol, yeah, I think you’re right... my bad. 👍
Although what do we know about what the young kids like or think?
Joggers may be popular but it has nothing to do with any pga player wearing them.

This thread is going to end up costing me. I’m going up to Long Island for a couple of weeks during Easter. Before I do, I’m going to stop in the TPC Myrtle Beach pro shop (it’s DJ’s home course) and see if I can pick up a logged version of that hoodie he wore yesterday morning.
It’ll be perfect for early Spring golf up there. I’ll let you guys know what the pro shops I wear it in think, lol.

This thread is going to end up costing me. I’m going up to Long Island for a couple of weeks during Easter. Before I do, I’m going to stop in the TPC Myrtle Beach pro shop (it’s DJ’s home course) and see if I can pick up a logged version of that hoodie he wore yesterday morning.
It’ll be perfect for early Spring golf up there. I’ll let you guys know what the pro shops I wear it in think, lol.
Lot more leniency on outerwear than there is on pants/shorts and shirts.

Joggers may be popular but it has nothing to do with any pga player wearing them.
Not disagreeing, but.... once again, we’re old.
They are made for golf. They just aren’t marketed toward us, and they care less what we think....

Last edited:
Like everywhere else, fashion in golf evolves over time. In the early 1900s, men wore wool suits, ties and jackets; it evolved into knickers and sweater vests/cardigans, then fast-forwarding to the '70s you had bright/plaid polyester slacks and loud polos. If you look at Tiger (and a lot of other golfers) in the '90s/early '00s, the trend was baggy "MC Hammer" pleated trousers and polo shirts so loose it looked like they were swimming in them, with big, baggy sleeves almost down to their elbows.

Any of those old styles would look out of place on the course today (although Ian Poulter would seem to disagree), and who knows how we'll look back on today's golf fashions 20 years from now?

That would be SWEET!

Tiger in 2004:

t04-1.jpg t04-2.png

Back