Joined GolfWeek Amateur Tour for 2019

Keep us posted on how the next one goes.
Like Hogan said, "theirs golf, and then theirs tournament golf".
The two biggest challenges for me are: playing courses you've never seen before and dealing with tournament nerves. Experience helps with the second, but I think you have to learn it and keep at it. Practice rounds and going back to the same tournaments helps the first, if you can do it.
My tournament index is almost 5 shots higher than my handicap fwiw.

Keep us posted on how the next one goes.
Like Hogan said, "theirs golf, and then theirs tournament golf".
The two biggest challenges for me are: playing courses you've never seen before and dealing with tournament nerves. Experience helps with the second, but I think you have to learn it and keep at it. Practice rounds and going back to the same tournaments helps the first, if you can do it.
My tournament index is almost 5 shots higher than my handicap fwiw.

Yeah, it is definitely tournament nerves, even though I really don't feel them, per se.

Went out last night for a bounce back round to help clear my head, and shot an easy 48 for 9. Not great, but certainly more in line with what I expect to shoot, and most of the shots were effortless.

Did better this time, but still not well.

Shot a 102, good enough for 4th. I think first was 96, then 99 and 100, then me.

Tournament golf is really different than recreational golf.

Every shot is really important. One mess up can really cost you. Like when I was in a greenside bunker in 2 and carded a 7.

But you can also claw back, like the par 3 where my tee shot went 30 yards, but I only bogeyed.

So I am right there, and can compete in my flight, just need to calm down more and execute better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Good job, man! I played today as well (in C division). The course was tight and wet today. You get more comfortable the more you play in them so keep grinding.

Update on my adventures in tournament golf.

I played a few more events and did OK. I finally broke 100 in a tournament on 7/6, with a 97, which is a little above my average score.

This past weekend was tough. We played near Atlantic City, and the temps were high 90s, with real feel almost 110.

Saturday I played average, which is good. I didn't card anything terrible, but also didn't card anything great, good enough for a 95, and tie for 3rd. One back from second and 5 or 6 back from first (played with the first place player, and he finished Birdie, par Birdie, Birdie, an exceptional set of holes for D flight). Round was 5.5 hours.

Went into Sunday as part of the final group, of my flight and the tournament. Tee time was 12:06. 98 Degrees. We got off after 12:30.

Started Triple, Triple, Triple, Triple, Double. Basically shot myself out of the tournament. It wasn't the heat, just played poorly.

By the time we took the turn, I had played myself to 14th place, had already shot my handicap, it was still 97 degrees, and we were 3 hours in. I wanted to quit so badly. Terrible play, scorching day, and LONG round.

But I didn't. I knew I had better play in me, I also knew no one likes a quitter, especially me. I was going to finish this day, and post a score, come what may.

On the back 9, I actually played pretty well for me. I clawed my way back up the leader board and ended up 4th. Score was a 103, but starting with a 56, that was decent.

Round was 6:15. Shoot me. 25 minutes on each tee.

I was driving pretty well, with only one or two wayward shots, none really "gone". I putted pretty well, with 34 putts. But I was a mess with irons and wedges (wedges are normally the teeth of my game).

But the reality is, even if I had shot a decent round, I still would have been 4th. I am learning and embracing "every shot counts". I played out all my holes and tried on all my putts. Sank some long distance putts, and made sure I got my 5 instead of a 6, etc. It matters because one more stroke would have changed my placing from 4th to 8th. (tie of cards), and 2 more strokes would have put me out of the top 10.

I'm getting more comfortable, and know I can compete in my flight. Everyone is pretty cool and the competition is fun.

I'm in third place in my flight for the season, as of now. We have 4 more events until the championship. Then there is the nationals after that, if I can stay in the top 5 in my flight.

So far , I have played Woodhall Spa, Walton Heath, (Ryder Cup course), Tandridge and Hankley Common , all courses in top 50 in England. I have not played well, but had great fun. Next week, Swinley Forest and Worplesdon.

Update on my adventures in tournament golf.

I played a few more events and did OK. I finally broke 100 in a tournament on 7/6, with a 97, which is a little above my average score.

This past weekend was tough. We played near Atlantic City, and the temps were high 90s, with real feel almost 110.

Saturday I played average, which is good. I didn't card anything terrible, but also didn't card anything great, good enough for a 95, and tie for 3rd. One back from second and 5 or 6 back from first (played with the first place player, and he finished Birdie, par Birdie, Birdie, an exceptional set of holes for D flight). Round was 5.5 hours.

Went into Sunday as part of the final group, of my flight and the tournament. Tee time was 12:06. 98 Degrees. We got off after 12:30.

Started Triple, Triple, Triple, Triple, Double. Basically shot myself out of the tournament. It wasn't the heat, just played poorly.

By the time we took the turn, I had played myself to 14th place, had already shot my handicap, it was still 97 degrees, and we were 3 hours in. I wanted to quit so badly. Terrible play, scorching day, and LONG round.

But I didn't. I knew I had better play in me, I also knew no one likes a quitter, especially me. I was going to finish this day, and post a score, come what may.

On the back 9, I actually played pretty well for me. I clawed my way back up the leader board and ended up 4th. Score was a 103, but starting with a 56, that was decent.

Round was 6:15. Shoot me. 25 minutes on each tee.

I was driving pretty well, with only one or two wayward shots, none really "gone". I putted pretty well, with 34 putts. But I was a mess with irons and wedges (wedges are normally the teeth of my game).

But the reality is, even if I had shot a decent round, I still would have been 4th. I am learning and embracing "every shot counts". I played out all my holes and tried on all my putts. Sank some long distance putts, and made sure I got my 5 instead of a 6, etc. It matters because one more stroke would have changed my placing from 4th to 8th. (tie of cards), and 2 more strokes would have put me out of the top 10.

I'm getting more comfortable, and know I can compete in my flight. Everyone is pretty cool and the competition is fun.

I'm in third place in my flight for the season, as of now. We have 4 more events until the championship. Then there is the nationals after that, if I can stay in the top 5 in my flight.

6 hours and 15 minutes? There's no way I would have finished, that's insane.

6 hours and 15 minutes? There's no way I would have finished, that's insane.

Yeah, it was brutal. Every shot was basically like a first ball on the range.

Season finale update.

We played the season finale this past weekend. My flight was only 6 people, but the top 3 players were in it and I won, by one stroke, for my first win of the year! Shot a 92, which is not great, but was good enough.

Even more exciting, I played my way onto the Metro Cup team, which is a Ryder cup format between NY and Philly. 27 holes, 9 Better ball, 9 Alternate Shot and 9 Straight up. Two weeks to the Cup. I am planning on doing my darnedest without letting the nerves get to me.

If anyone is thinking about dipping their toes into this type of thing, I highly recommend it. WE played 12 events, and I think 10 of them were on private courses. Lots of really good people and good times.

Congrats on your win! Understand completely. Did it get you to the tour championship?

I played my local GWAT this year. Was a dogfight in D Flight. Had one win, two seconds and a third in 9 events. Graduated to C Flight just prior to the season finale. Nevertheless, ended the season 6th place in C flight enough to make the tour championship in Hilton Head next month.

If you or any other THPers are heading to hilton head, let’s have a cold one down there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m planning on doing it next season.

Sounds like a strong finish, way to go! Good luck with the Metro Cup.

Congrats on the win!!

Sounds like a lot of fun. Once I get a bit better, it would be fun to do something like this.

Season finale update.

We played the season finale this past weekend. My flight was only 6 people, but the top 3 players were in it and I won, by one stroke, for my first win of the year! Shot a 92, which is not great, but was good enough.

Even more exciting, I played my way onto the Metro Cup team, which is a Ryder cup format between NY and Philly. 27 holes, 9 Better ball, 9 Alternate Shot and 9 Straight up. Two weeks to the Cup. I am planning on doing my darnedest without letting the nerves get to me.

If anyone is thinking about dipping their toes into this type of thing, I highly recommend it. WE played 12 events, and I think 10 of them were on private courses. Lots of really good people and good times.

Beast! Great job, man. Peaking at the right time here. Look forward to hearing how the Ryder Cup goes.

Congrats on your win! Understand completely. Did it get you to the tour championship?

I played my local GWAT this year. Was a dogfight in D Flight. Had one win, two seconds and a third in 9 events. Graduated to C Flight just prior to the season finale. Nevertheless, ended the season 6th place in C flight enough to make the tour championship in Hilton Head next month.

If you or any other THPers are heading to hilton head, let’s have a cold one down there.

I would love to say I was in it to win it this year, but tournamane tgolf got the better of me. I was shooting 10+ over my normal rounds for most of the season, so I was not really a threat to win my flight.

That being said, I did put together some good rounds towards the end. Next year!

I believe I can go to the nationals. I am kinda goign back and forth on whether or not I will go.

I think you will do well. It was a lot of fun.
Thanks. I had no idea this was a regional thing until there was an event at my home course. Unfortunately there were only a couple of events left in the season so it was not worth it.

Next year I plan on doing this one, the local MAGA (Missouri amateur golf association) and the golf channel one. I’m really getting into amateur events. They are so enjoyable and a great way to play competition golf at different courses.

I pulled the trigger and am going! We need to meet up

Nicely done! congrats on the win!

Overall did you find the schedule to be do able - in order to play a significant number of events? My schedule is always all over the place. It's why I never join these things.

Great playing, @millsan1!

I think I'm going to give this a go in the Memphis/North Mississippi section.

Awesome man. Best of luck. It sounds like fun.

Nicely done! congrats on the win!

Overall did you find the schedule to be do able - in order to play a significant number of events? My schedule is always all over the place. It's why I never join these things.
You are not committed to the events. You can play whatever you want to play. I did most of them, but people also only played 4 or 5.

Nice! I played on the GW tour for a hot second. I won two or three events and we played some pretty awesome courses. Enjoy!!!!

Back