Jon Rahm out of Olympics now

I know two people who were fully vaccinated and still came down with the illness. One was quite sick. My mother has a friend who is 100, contracted the virus, was mildly ill for two days and that was it.

Know at least 10 ppl that tested positive recently although they were fully vaxed. Half had little to no symptoms. 2 are in the hospital. And 3 of them had the full ‘no taste/body ache/coughing fit’ and stay home for 2+weeks symptoms.

It’s really a crap shoot. Stay safe out there. Guess why golf is not going away anytime soon.

I haven't been aware of someone testing positive, then getting vaccine, then testing positive again in the span of about 2 months. Of course that begs the questions is/was one of the tests a false positive?

Ehhh it's a crapshoot... Could be any reason of positive. False test, even with vaccine it's 88% effective could miss... Also need variant only 39% effecicay rating...

It's still running rampid

As I understand it, getting vaccinated doesnt keep you from catching the virus. It means the symptoms will just be less serious.
Precisely.

Most vaccinated people won't wind up in the hospital.
Nor do the vast majority of un-vaccinated people.

You can still catch, and transmit the virus to others even if vacinated was the way it was explained to me.
Which may mean, ironically, you can become a Typhoid Mary and not even know it. But the same is true for many (most?) people who are un-vaccinated, since it's been long-established most people exhibit few to no symptoms of infection.

It's a preventative measure, but only if everyone does it.
Incorrect. Only enough people need do it to reduce the virus' ability to efficiently propagate. That number is estimated by CDC to be somewhere between 70-85% of the population. (SWAG: Probably the lower end of that number assuming a relatively even distribution across the population. Only needs to be enough to reduce R0 [infection rate] to less than one.)

It's really been to keep you from spreading it as much as receiving it.
It won't prevent either.

Look at how well it did against spreading of the flu world wide last season.
Can't be established with any degree of confidence. Last influenza season was during the height of Covid-19 preventative measures. Those same measures--masks, social distancing, business shut-downs, limiting social gatherings, personal decontamination (e.g.: hand-washing), etc. would have also served to limit the spread of the seasonal influenza.

Of course that begs the questions ...
No, it doesn't. That demands the question. Begging the question is something else entirely ;)

Last edited:
Fully agree , it’s either ego or stupidity ,,, regardless they and maybe more are going to get quite sick , when there is clearly preventative measures available.. ( if they haven’t taken adequate precautions )
Or perhaps testing is not accurate? I see false positives and false negatives quite often on my job.
Perhaps the vaccines don't work all that well?

amazing

Recall Nick Saben tested positive then we learned it was not true. could be a different variant then what Jon had before. the local news channel was doing a clip at our University Hospital and the Dr being interviewed says that the vaccinated are getting the Delta variant some but he has yet to see one needing hospitizalation.

could be a different variant then what Jon had before.
Could be, but maybe not.

"They" claim the Covid-19 vaccination will help with the SARS-CoV-2 Delta variant. But "they" also claimed the structure of the SARS-CoV-2 virus (the virus that causes the Covid-19 disease) was so complex it was unlikely--almost to the point of impossibility, to mutate. But here we are.

the local news channel was doing a clip at our University Hospital and the Dr being interviewed says that the vaccinated are getting the Delta variant some but he has yet to see one needing hospitizalation.
"They" have asserted many things later found to have been untrue. (Something of which, curiously, the "news" media somehow fails to remind them. Short attention spans?) My confidence in "them" is pretty thoroughly eroded.

Last edited:
Guys let’s not turn this into a COVID thread. We have had one, it ended poorly, it won’t happen again.

Tough break there for Rahm. Got Covid, got vaccinated, and then gets Covid a month later. Hopefully at least symptom free for him, but still, tough break.

Guys let’s not turn this into a COVID thread. We have had one, it ended poorly, it won’t happen again.
My apologies for my part, @JB. I missed that. Hadn't been reading THP quite as religiously during my enforced golf hiatus :(

Sucks. Feel like he's one of the guys that would actually take pride in his country and the event, so it's a loss for us all. I can honestly do without our Olympic coverage being about Bryson and his recent stuff, so I'm less sad about that one.

Very sad to see, I hope both him and Bryson make a full and fast recovery.

Stinks for Rahm.

With Ra, I think he would be fully vaccinated two weeks after his last shot.

Sucks for these guys.

Back