Journey to Break 85

Howdy.

Anything exciting going on for anybody? I didn't do my normal two range session this week since I played on Monday and then had to do some monitor testing yesterday. Hoping that I can hit the range tomorrow and the course on Sunday am.

I need to focus on making every shot count. I get complacent with the wedges some days and throw strokes away.

Hey buddy! I am going to try and hit the range today after work, and then play tomorrow. Have a a couple of video ideas in mind for the Burner test thread too, but Ithink I may only get one of them done. Sunday is nothing but football for me. Wake up spend a little time with the wife and dog, and then head to Chunky's for good football, good food, and most importantly, good friends.

Hey buddy! I am going to try and hit the range today after work, and then play tomorrow. Have a a couple of video ideas in mind for the Burner test thread too, but Ithink I may only get one of them done. Sunday is nothing but football for me. Wake up spend a little time with the wife and dog, and then head to Chunky's for good football, good food, and most importantly, good friends.

Sounds like a good plan. I don't really watch much football these days. I do like that the courses get emptier during the season!

Lol... I think I'm one of the few who just love those wedges. It does make sense though.

Bears rule! But I hate Mike Martz so lets see what happens :)

588's Hawk....HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I can't wait to hit those things.

Sounds like a good plan. I don't really watch much football these days. I do like that the courses get emptier during the season!

I cant wait for you to hit them too!!!

Thats awesome dude. I lov efootball sundays!!!! Especially with good friends. My buddy and I have been watching Bears games for years and its just awesome.

That is so true. This is my favorite time of year. Can play golf, baseball is heading towards the post season, football is starting up, and, hockey is just around the corner. For a sports nut like me, this is heaven.

Awesome!!! Looks like Ill have some new weapons to test on my way to breaking 85!

Wedge Talk:

I don't know if this is the thread for this, but what the heck. I bought and received a new Adams Puglielli Black 60 degree wedge yesterday and took it to the practice area for a try. I've been using a Titleist Vokey 60 with some pretty good results for about a year. All I can say is, these two clubs are so different it's really freaky. The Adams wedge hits the ball much higher and I'd say I need to swing the club at least ten percent harder than the Vokey to get the ball to a similar area on the green. I can see being happy with the Puglielli wedge as it's a beautiful design and weighted well, but it's so different from what I'm used to, that I think I'll still play the Vokey. You guys have been discussing wedges and mentioning the new old Cleveland's and the Callaways played at the Morgan Cup. What I've learned is they don't call them scoring clubs for no reason, but you need to practice and get consistent with whatever one you choose. I do tend to swap out clubs for fun or just depending on what courses I'm playing, but my wedges need to stay constant because they're such "feel" clubs, if I want to lower my scores.

Good luck on everyone's rounds this weekend if you play. I'm excited to have the NFL games again, and I do like DVR-ing the games and going to the course on Sundays because it does seem a bit less crowded.

Awesome!!! Looks like Ill have some new weapons to test on my way to breaking 85!

Grats man I just saw. I was hoping to see you use them but im back in PT to avoid surgery and not allowed to play for a while.

Wedge Talk:

I don't know if this is the thread for this, but what the heck. I bought and received a new Adams Puglielli Black 60 degree wedge yesterday and took it to the practice area for a try. I've been using a Titleist Vokey 60 with some pretty good results for about a year. All I can say is, these two clubs are so different it's really freaky. The Adams wedge hits the ball much higher and I'd say I need to swing the club at least ten percent harder than the Vokey to get the ball to a similar area on the green. I can see being happy with the Puglielli wedge as it's a beautiful design and weighted well, but it's so different from what I'm used to, that I think I'll still play the Vokey. You guys have been discussing wedges and mentioning the new old Cleveland's and the Callaways played at the Morgan Cup. What I've learned is they don't call them scoring clubs for no reason, but you need to practice and get consistent with whatever one you choose. I do tend to swap out clubs for fun or just depending on what courses I'm playing, but my wedges need to stay constant because they're such "feel" clubs, if I want to lower my scores.

Good luck on everyone's rounds this weekend if you play. I'm excited to have the NFL games again, and I do like DVR-ing the games and going to the course on Sundays because it does seem a bit less crowded.

Haha, I can't miss games. I get real grumpy :) Do you have the same shafts in wedges>?

Grats man I just saw. I was hoping to see you use them but im back in PT to avoid surgery and not allowed to play for a while.

Thanks dude! Redlyne has them too.... I see some combo testing coming!

Thanks dude! Redlyne has them too.... I see some combo testing coming!

Haha you guys can totally hit them at the same time facing eachother

Yay Yoccos. Just caught up with the Adams testing thread. You are soooooooo worthy! Your handicap will drop like the stock market!

Wedges - I believe the wedges have the same shaft, I think they're both True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex. Maybe I'll stick a KBS Hi-Rev in the Puglielli? Ah well, something else to toss money at. At least it's better than a crack addiction.

Congrats Yoccos! That's awesome

Yoccos, I'm looking forward to this for you buddy. You get your graphite fix! I credit the a30S for helping me stick through some pretty rough times last year.

Wedge Talk:

Yay Yoccos. Just caught up with the Adams testing thread. You are soooooooo worthy! Your handicap will drop like the stock market!

Wedges - I believe the wedges have the same shaft, I think they're both True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex. Maybe I'll stick a KBS Hi-Rev in the Puglielli? Ah well, something else to toss money at. At least it's better than a crack addiction.

Is the bounce any different? I'm wondering if the weight is different as well?

Is the bounce any different? I'm wondering if the weight is different as well?

Bounce is exactly the same. 60-08 on both wedges. The shafts are identical. Although the Puglielli head is slighly more compact, the Adams wedge does feel a bit heavier than the Vokey. It does feel like there's a bit more mass at the head end of the club. There's nothing wrong with the Adams club, in fact I like its looks and feel. But I've got my shots dialed in with the Vokey and I don't want to give that up. It's actually one of the few parts of my game that I'd say is more than 60% consistent. I can execute the shot I intended maybe 7 out of 10 time with the Vokey, and it's really the only club in my bag I can say that about. I'm not blaming my other clubs, I realize the execution is all on me.

I understand what you're saying 100%. I'm playing three different wedges, all at different points in their age. They are all unique in size, shape, and shafts. It adds a little complexity going back and forth between them!

I understand what you're saying 100%. I'm playing three different wedges, all at different points in their age. They are all unique in size, shape, and shafts. It adds a little complexity going back and forth between them!

I preferred to have the different wedges...Granted I dont use my 54 anymore because the sand in AZ is so different but I wanted the wedges to be the best for the type of shot I would be playing. I liked the Vokey for full shots and pitches and then liked the CG-10 because of its grind for flop shots.

Yea, mine weren't really like that. I bought the xFT and was given the Mizzie and the Nike from two very generous members here. They are all very nice wedges and I adapted pretty quickly. I do the same in that I often choose them for types of shots rather than distances. I don't take a full swing with any of them except the xFT.

I have never been able to figure out exactly why I like one wedge design better than another, the differences between one an another are microscopic but enough to make me want to hit one and not the other.

I like the xFT for anything tight because it is low bounce and has a pretty sharp leading edge. I can get a lot of spin from it that way. The Mizzie is mid-bounce and I use it for anything fluffy that doesn't require the extreme loft of the 60. However, I've been using the 60 more since the Mizzie is getting sort of bare in the grooves.

My instructor told me to use the Vokey 60 for ALL my chip shots around the green - don't even touch another wedge - because you need to get good at one club and know what to expect. So I took his advice and it's worked. But I was also using the Vokey 60-08 out of the sand as well, with some, shall I say "mixed" results. On a whim I put my Callaway 56-12 back in the bag and took out a hybrid. Tried the higher bounce wedge out of the sand, and all of a sudden remembered why you'd probably want this bounce rather than the 08. Sometimes you have to relearn things out on the course.

I've wanted to try the Xft wedges based on all the comments from the Morgan Cup. But the beauty of the Adams Puglielli Black got to me. I'm always chasing the pretty face.

My instructor told me to use the Vokey 60 for ALL my chip shots around the green - don't even touch another wedge - because you need to get good at one club and know what to expect. So I took his advice and it's worked. But I was also using the Vokey 60-08 out of the sand as well, with some, shall I say "mixed" results. On a whim I put my Callaway 56-12 back in the bag and took out a hybrid. Tried the higher bounce wedge out of the sand, and all of a sudden remembered why you'd probably want this bounce rather than the 08. Sometimes you have to relearn things out on the course.

I've wanted to try the Xft wedges based on all the comments from the Morgan Cup. But the beauty of the Adams Puglielli Black got to me. I'm always chasing the pretty face.

I practice with my 60 more then any other club in my bag (even the putter) The shots you can do with it are just amazing and whenever I miss a green I have no worries about getting up and down. Ill agree with your instructor a bit but at the same time you need to learn the shots to allow you to just use one club. I keep a 54-10 in my bag for certain types of sand because sometimes a 60-04 is useless from it lol

Hi Yoccos!!

Congrats dude! I was so happy that you got those irons. Cant wait to hear your thoughts. Hawk, why no football? Just not a big fan?:female-fighter:

Hi Yoccos!!

Congrats dude! I was so happy that you got those irons. Cant wait to hear your thoughts. Hawk, why no football? Just not a big fan?:female-fighter:

I'm a fan and used to watch all the time. I have been to Lambeau to watch the Packers! I just don't have tons of time to watch TV these days.

I want the outing to be here already!

Back