coolbreeze

Aspiring Golferr
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 8.9
Lately when I have been in the rough I've been trying to judge my lie and I've realized very quickly that I have no idea how to judge what the ball is going to do. I have no idea how to see that it could be a flyer, or if its going to sit down a bit and I should grab more club. Obviously when its a terrible lie you can tell but other than that what is it that I'm looking for?

I look at two important things for myself.

1. Where should I move my hands. If the ball is sitting up I will move them accordingly to make sure I dont catch it heavy. If its sitting down, I do the opposite. Similar to the bunker. We always see people dig in and make themselves lower to the ground, and then forget to move their hands and catch them fat.

2. How clean will the club face be with ball contact. Is there going to be a ton of grass between the ball and the grooves? If so, I might change my club selection since less spin will be coming.

Great question, as I wonder this myself when my ball is sitting in the rough...

I find it guilty. every time

1. Where should I move my hands. If the ball is sitting up I will move them accordingly to make sure I dont catch it heavy. If its sitting down, I do the opposite. Similar to the bunker. We always see people dig in and make themselves lower to the ground, and then forget to move their hands and catch them fat.

2. How clean will the club face be with ball contact. Is there going to be a ton of grass between the ball and the grooves? If so, I might change my club selection since less spin will be coming.
Thanks JB, so if its sitting up a little in the rough and there will be some grass between the club face and the ball then thats where I will see the flyer?

So in this case, grab a little less club, choke down on the grip a little and swing normally.

Great points, and much simpler than I thought. Thanks, JB!

I find it guilty. every time

ROFL!!!!

Thanks JB, so if its sitting up a little in the rough and there will be some grass between the club face and the ball then thats where I will see the flyer?

So in this case, grab a little less club, choke down on the grip a little and swing normally.

If its sitting up, many times, you can get it clean (but with a little grass in the way) and could see a flier there as well, because the launch is normally a little higher for more carry with little ballooning due to less spin. If the ball is nestled in, you might see a lower shot because the club slows down going through and lots of "debris" can get caught up in the grooves. I recommend with a shot like this taking a firmer grip.

Cb I place the club behind the ball. If there are a few blades between the club face and the ball, flyer. If its a larger amount I'm looking at a steeper angle to get it out. Of course if it's a clean lie then it's a normal club with normal swinh

If its sitting up, many times, you can get it clean (but with a little grass in the way) and could see a flier there as well, because the launch is normally a little higher for more carry with little ballooning due to less spin. If the ball is nestled in, you might see a lower shot because the club slows down going through and lots of "debris" can get caught up in the grooves. I recommend with a shot like this taking a firmer grip.

Cb I place the club behind the ball. If there are a few blades between the club face and the ball, flyer. If its a larger amount I'm looking at a steeper angle to get it out. Of course if it's a clean lie then it's a normal club with normal swinh
Thanks guys, it makes a lot of sense when you put it like that. Some if it I have been doing right, and some wrong.

Regarding moving hands accordingly on 1, are you saying moving them up and down on the grip or forward and backwards in your stance?

Up or down on the grip.

Okay that is what I thought. Thanks for clarifying there is some good stuff in here I just picked up

Back