Jumbo grip on driver like Bryson?

PatsFan

Jedi Knight
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
myself
Has anyone tried jumbo sized grips on a driver or other club?

I have been contemplating it. I suffer from hooks anyway, so may help I don't know. I do like the feel of bigger grips despite not having big hands. Hoping to hear some real world feedback in here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Are you talking something more than 4 wraps of tape? If it appeals to you, give it a shot and see if it works. You'll only know if you try. <-- not being sarcastic or anything.

Maybe take something like an Ace bandage and wrap it around your driver grip for a couple of swings. It might give you an idea of what it would feel like without removing a grip.

I don't like jumbo grips not only do they look ridiculous I think you lose feel. That being said I know it works for some, just not for me.

I tried them when @O'Carroll tested the jumbo max grips. I thought they were a terrible option for me.

Bryson and Jumbo Max Grips claim to get 3-5 mph swing speed increases by adding the grip. I’m intrigued now. Contemplating a myth buster video on this matter! 😂

A friend of mine tried the largest JumboMax grip on his driver. It lasted all of one round, he couldn't cut it off there quick enough afterward. He couldn't turn his hands over and was blocking everything. FWIW, he doesn't have super active hands, so YMMV if you do.

I didn't hit it, but I held it. I liked the feel, but it was almost like holding a baseball bat. I wish I would've taken a few swings with it, my hands are a lot more active than his and I can hit some nasty pull hooks when I go after the ball hard.

I put a JumboMax Lite (Large) on an old shaft I had tipped for my SIM. I actually thought it felt pretty good, but definitely had a hard time turning over the club. Felt like I just needed to go down a size or two. Was causing me to block most drives out to the right a bit, but ball contact was still good. If you have trouble with hooks, I'd definitely give these a try.

I just went from standard to midsize plus4 grips, so those will feel jumbo to me. Wouldn’t be opposed to experimenting in the future.

I just went from standard to midsize plus4 grips, so those will feel jumbo to me. Wouldn’t be opposed to experimenting in the future.

I love the midsize Plus4 grips and think they are probably the best overall size grip I've ever played. However, JumboMax grips are a whole other beast. They feel twice as thick as midsize Plus4 and even put regular Jumbo grips to shame IMO.

I play oversized Winn Dri-Tacs, and have been considering trying one of the JumboMax grips. I think I'd go smaller than their largest after feeling that one, but I'm definitely curious about it.

At golf galaxy today adding 1” to my hybrids and mcc plus 4 grips.
A customer asked about ordering the jumbo max Bryson grip for his driver. Sales guy said most of the installs they have done so far have switched back. In the golf world it’s a relatively cheap thing to try though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love the midsize Plus4 grips and think they are probably the best overall size grip I've ever played. However, JumboMax grips are a whole other beast. They feel twice as thick as midsize Plus4 and even put regular Jumbo grips to shame IMO.
Yikes! I toyed with regular jumbo grips, but figured I’d split the difference with midsize. These monsters sound like I’d feel like I’m swinging a baseball bat!

I use oversize Lamkin grips on my driver and fairway woods which is the largest grip Lamkin offers. Feels great too me.

Are you talking something more than 4 wraps of tape? If it appeals to you, give it a shot and see if it works. You'll only know if you try.
Maybe take something like an Ace bandage and wrap it around your driver grip for a couple of swings. It might give you an idea of what it would feel like without removing a grip.
Yes I have midsized atm. Maybe I'll try midsized plus wraps. A grip is relatively cheap so maybe I'll give it a try.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I wonder if this is more a mental thing. He’s swinging driver out of his shoes to get max club speed. When doing that ones tendency is to tighten ones grip on the club which promotes the opposite effect. The jumbo grip may be more for reassurance that the club won’t go flying down range when he goes after it, rather than any actual physical benefit.

Has anyone tried jumbo sized grips on a driver or other club?

I guess if you don't want to close the face, it may work for you. Remember, we are talking tiny differences between a good shot and a crap shot. Treat the problem, not the symptom.

I went to a jumbo grip only on my driver to reduce my hooking tendency. It worked great, I didn’t gain any distance and it still goes left occasionally, but it worked really well.
I would never put them on any other club

I tried the Tour Series on my driver and the standard JumboMax on my 7 iron. Both grips are much heavier than the Lamkins. Just taking a grip with them, they felt pretty good. So, it was time to test this experiment.

Warming up, I hit my 50 degree well. I was feast or famine with the 7 iron. On the good shots, my usual draw was lessened some and my trajectory and distance seemed the same. On the bad, oh boy! Here, there and everywhere. I'd hit a good one or three, then a stinker or two. I switched to 8 iron and hit some good shots. I went back to the 7 and again experienced good and bad. On the driver, it was a ****show. I was all over the place and never hit even a passable shot. The club felt terrible.

I think it's obvious that I went too big and heavy with the Tour Series XL and the weight of it threw off the balance and swingweight of the driver and the 7 iron, although it didn't seem as out of kilter. My thought now is to try the UltraLight, even though it is a much firmer grip, and maybe drop down a size or two.

I actually tried Bryson’s exact grips. His swing coach gave them to me at the PGA Championship after we were talking. He thought they would help with my release snd pull hook.

I was not a fan - way too big. i played a few rounds with them and removed them.

I don’t think I could go jumbo. I have smaller ands and do go midsize since I like a larger grip feel, but jumbo would be just a bit much for me. I don’t think I could hold the club very well.

I didn’t even know that was a thing, jumbo for less hooks.
I went from standard to oversize and I love them. My thought was feel, I changed because I thought I was choking the club, now the grip fills up more of my hand and feels better, I don’t have to apply more pressure because there’s more there.

What @Scorpion12 mentioned. That shelf sticking medical wrap stuff works quite well for experimenting. It can be wrapped tight, lasts quite a while, sticks to itself, but is easily removed, with no left over residue on the original grip.

I used type of tape years ago when I messing around with Moe Norman's palm grip. The larger diameter grip helped with that palm grip.

I didn’t even know that was a thing, jumbo for less hooks.
I went from standard to oversize and I love them. My thought was feel, I changed because I thought I was choking the club, now the grip fills up more of my hand and feels better, I don’t have to apply more pressure because there’s more there.
That is exactly why I went to mid sized grips and I have less of that feeling of choking the crap out of the grip.

That is exactly why I went to mid sized grips and I have less of that feeling of choking the crap out of the grip.
I think of it kind of like putting, they say less tension in your hands and I believe that's why people have gone to bigger grips, there's more there, it fills up your hands for a more of a balance and steadiness imo. So why can't it be the same for grips on clubs. Again, I had no idea it was a thing for hooks or I never even thought a person would block shots right either. Swing normal if you ask me, its more of the girth in your hands which makes it a feel thing imo.

Back