Jumbo grip on driver like Bryson?

I did a review here on THP for the JumboMax grips awhile back. The grip on the driver was tricky for me as I felt like I lost feel of the club head with the bigger grips. Now for the larger grips on the wedges, I felt like I had a better outcome. Kept me from flicking the ball...

I did a review here on THP for the JumboMax grips awhile back. The grip on the driver was tricky for me as I felt like I lost feel of the club head with the bigger grips. Now for the larger grips on the wedges, I felt like I had a better outcome. Kept me from flicking the ball...
Interesting. I use midsized grips on all but the putter. Iam interested in the jumbomaxt hough. Were I to guess I would have thought the jumbomax would have been harder with wedges than the driver. Anyone out there play different size grips for different clubs? Not counting the putter of course.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I wonder if this is more a mental thing. He’s swinging driver out of his shoes to get max club speed. When doing that ones tendency is to tighten ones grip on the club which promotes the opposite effect. The jumbo grip may be more for reassurance that the club won’t go flying down range when he goes after it, rather than any actual physical benefit.

I was thinking the same thing. More surface area = more grip = don't have to grip as hard = swing faster

I don’t think I could go jumbo. I have smaller ands and do go midsize since I like a larger grip feel, but jumbo would be just a bit much for me. I don’t think I could hold the club very well.

Feel the same way (wear a Cadet L glove). After midsize the grips get a bit unwieldy. Even the Plus4 Midsize grips took a bit of getting used to over normal midsize. I think part of it has to do with the weight of the grip as you get larger. I believe most jumbo grips are pushing 80+ grams, when standard grips are around 50 grams. This shouldn't play a huge role in swingweight, but the overall weight of the club will be heftier.

The cool thing about JumboMax ultralite grips is that they are much lighter than the OG JumboMax, more in line with a standard grip. So it's WAY bigger but you're not having to swing a lot heavier club.

Last edited:
golf is the strange sport in that it is the only one where we compare ourselves to pro's. I was a good basketball player but would not mention an NBA player. I saw today that Bill Gates is the largest Farm owner in the US but I won't compare his wealth to mine as it is a non-starter.

I've used oversize grips but it was largely fools gold. I was trying to make an overly active trail hand be passive. It helped a bit but did not make me a good player. When I tried to improve my fundamentals I realized my hands are average and the oversize had the affect that my lead arm can't really lead. Now Bryson is on a different planet so this has no relavance to what helps him

About the loss of feel...for the most part, that comes from a much lower swing weight, rather than the grip. JumboMax now has a grip that is in the same weight class as standard grips, which is quickly getting more popular (and is the model Bryson now plays).

I play the Str8 Tech model, since it is Arccos compatible, and I love them. Much straighter since switching. It does take some adjustment on woods but it's been good for me.

I have messed with larger than midsize grips but on full swing clubs; I was not a big fan. I have pretty large hands and the MCC Plus4 fulfills my needs without going overboard (prevents me from over-turning the club face unless I really try to).

Last edited:
For S+Gs, I just put a Small size JumboMax ultralite on a backup shaft I have (AD IZ 6X) for my TSi2.

I have ZERO experience with these grips and have don't have any expectations this test will last, but here we are.

I put the large Ultralite grip on my driver, it made a positive difference in both shot shape (now more of a cut) and accuracy. I find I can place my hands on the grip more consistently. I am going to all Jumbomax as soon as get a minute to put them on.

One thing I did notice was that the grip is sensitive to any build up tape you may have had under a previous grip, I had a couple wraps under my right hand when I was using a Winn Dritac, and left them on when I installed the big grip. The grip is tight where the extra tape is but a little loose under the left. I went back and removed any extra tape.

Finally tried the Jumbo Max in the driver. Only at the range, but the results were interesting.
I don’t feel particularly comfortable with the grip and likely won’t put it into play, but what I did notice is how much the grip appears to have increased my launch angle and flight apex. I was hitting the ball very high (for me). I assume it is likely due to a more open face and/or some form of compensation I’m making. Really interesting. I plan to try it out a bit more at the range.

For me the huge grips tend to lose feel and I simply have to have a good feel on my golf clubs.

Has anyone tried jumbo sized grips on a driver or other club?
Here's my review...

I always have held the club in my lead hand at the first knuckle from the hand. So, while not in the palm, the grip was always close. I wear a large standard glove, and my wrist to tip of finger is 8". Have tried both Jumbomax MD (medium) and XL (largest they make). I have the MD (original wrap) in my full set, and tried an XL (Ultralite) in a 7-iron.

First: These grips are NOT for players who learned to properly grip a golf club in the fingers. Unless, over time, the hand is compromised by arthritis or general stiffness. I was a competitive bowler and my left hand is pretty stiff. Guys in the trades who work with their hands might also be affected this way.

From there, I like JMax for these clubs and reasons:
SW, LW - better accuracy and I may move to the XL size in the wedges;
Driver - better accuracy with no loss of distance;
Hybrid and Irons - more distance; likely due to counter-balance effect of heavy grip on graphite shaft;
FW - not much difference; so will likely just keep on;

I play Maltby TS2 on 75g Kuro Kage Black iron shafts. The KK are the weakest stiff flex I've ever played. I'd say they're a strong R or maybe "firm" at best, even with traditional grips. The original "wraps" moved my swingweight from D0 to C6. With the JMAX grips, I can't feel the head in the backswing like I can with traditional grips, but the increased weight in the grip (and resulting counter-weight) creates more kick at impact and definitely more distance in my irons.

Last edited:
I'm trying GP CP2 Pro jumbo grips on my driver, 3w, and 4h this season. I've been using midsize on everything. But it turns out that, as per this

grip_sizing.jpg

and measurements the young lady behind the counter at my LGS took, I should probably be using jumbo grips.

I have very large hands. I wear XL gloves and sometimes even those are more snug than I'd like.

since my golf pride z cord align grips are almost impossible to find right now, I tried a JumboMax Ultralight Small on a backup 3w. Absolutely hated it and really had to adjust my grip and swing to make it work for me. I couldnt get the feel for it at all

My thought process was my miss is a hook so I thought the jumbo grip could quiet my hands more. For whatever reason I ended up hitting even lower launched snap hooks

since my golf pride z cord align grips are almost impossible to find right now, I tried a JumboMax Ultralight Small on a backup 3w. Absolutely hated it and really had to adjust my grip and swing to make it work for me. I couldnt get the feel for it at all

My thought process was my miss is a hook so I thought the jumbo grip could quiet my hands more. For whatever reason I ended up hitting even lower launched snap hooks
What size Z cords do you normally use? Do you grip them properly, totally in fingers?

I'm trying out a jumbo CP2 Wrap on an extra driver shaft I have. I've only hit about 25 balls with it but it is night and day different, in a good way, for me than the Jumbomax. I don't feel the clubhead is too light and I've been able to hit playable shots. I still have a hint of a draw. I'll play with it more to see if the good results continue.

Has anyone tried jumbo sized grips on a driver or other club?

Be prepared to put in 50-100 hours of practice and play to make it actually work!

I tried the JMX Ultra Lite on my driver. Felt like it did make my grip pressure lighter and did seemingly help to take my hands out of the downswing a little bit. Problem was, after going from that grip to one of my regular grips on my other clubs (MCC +4 Midsize with 7 wraps) even those felt like I was holding one of my kids clubs. Just couldn’t get used to that transition. Maybe if I swapped my whole set over to the JMX I could get used to it, but having it on only one club was just not working for me.

I tried it once. It was very very strange.. Everything about it threw me off. the weight, the size, the squishy feel, I hit a few good shots but overall I thought nope.. Not for me..

Also, they are an absolute pain to put on and cut off. lol...

I had switched to oversized grips when I was missing left consistently and it definitely helped, although admittedly it was a band aid on a swing issue. Took a few years but I got it ironed out, and now an oversized grip means I’m going to miss right.

I am really liking the Jumbo grip on my driver. I have no plans to remove it.

Back