Parrot

2025 Worldwide Golf Championship - Team ?????
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone given these a go? I have arthritis in my hands so I'm always looking for help wherever I can find it. I started with sensicore inserts in steel shafts and moved onto graphite shafts, which have been a godsend. Grip-wise, my preference is the Golf Pride CP2 Wrap. It wasn't an option when I ordered my clubs from Cobra so I went with the Lamkin Sonar Wrap. It's good but doesn't seem to do the job for me like the CP2 does.

At the Morgan Cup, @Master Yagley and @LittleRat had a Bryson 6 iron with the XL JumboMax. I hit it a few times and was intrigued by the grip. I spoke a little with Yags about it and what it does to swingweight. He suggested trying the grips without any adjustments for weighting. So, I did the fitting on the JumboMax website and it suggested the XL. I had the Tour Series installed on my driver and the standard JumboMax on my 7 iron. Both grips are much heavier than the Lamkins. Just taking a grip with them, they felt pretty good. So, it was time to test this experiment.

Warming up, I hit my 50 degree well. I was feast or famine with the 7 iron. On the good shots, my usual draw was lessened some and my trajectory and distance seemed the same. On the bad, oh boy! Here, there and everywhere. I'd hit a good one or three, then a stinker or two. I switched to 8 iron and hit some good shots. I went back to the 7 and again experienced good and bad. On the driver, it was a ****show. I was all over the place and never hit even a passable shot. The club felt terrible.

I think it's obvious that I went too big and heavy with the Tour Series XL and the weight of it threw off the balance and swingweight of the driver and the 7 iron, although it didn't seem as out of kilter. My thought now is to try the UltraLight, even though it is a much firmer grip, and maybe drop down a size or two.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has tried these grips and what your thoughts were.

Whoa, that is definitely a crazy experience with these Rusty. Looking forward to your thoughts on the ultralight grip.

I know @phoffer has them on his sticks and has had great success.

I'll have to double check which version I have on my GW but I've been ok with it. I generally use a midsize grip because it feels good but even the medium Jumbo Max is much bigger, though I still hit it pretty well.

I got that grip for giggles when I ordered the gap wedge to match my set, primarily to see it as I had a bunch of grips I bought last winter to re-grip whatever when into play this year. It was in the box (not installed) but I put it on anyway just to try it. I haven't replaced it yet but I just don't know if I could swing a driver or FW with those grips. I've thought about making an experiment out of it with an extra driver shaft because they do feel pretty good in hand but that could take some serious getting used to. I don't see that as a plug and play type of change, though I could be, and hope I am, wrong about that part.

I'll be interested to hear if you stay with a version of these and how you get along with them.

I tested out the JumboMax grips here on THP for my first review. I experienced the same outcomes as you. Some shots were great & others were rather left unsaid. I a ty was going through clubs a few days ago & still have the grip on a wedge. I may need to take it back out for a few swings.

I thinkwhat it ends up coming down to is repetition with these.

Shoot, I searched Jumbo Max not Jumbomax. Thanks for the heads up.
No problem. I tried the Ultralite, I don't recall the size and don't care to go searching, but I had similar results. The ball had almost zero curvature, but I had difficulty with face angle/path. I think it's because the ultralites are too lite and increased my swing weight to D8. I think I just lost the feel/location of the clubhead.

Has anyone given these a go? I have arthritis in my hands so I'm always looking for help wherever I can find it. I started with sensicore inserts in steel shafts and moved onto graphite shafts, which have been a godsend. Grip-wise, my preference is the Golf Pride CP2 Wrap. It wasn't an option when I ordered my clubs from Cobra so I went with the Lamkin Sonar Wrap. It's good but doesn't seem to do the job for me like the CP2 does.

At the Morgan Cup, @Master Yagley and @LittleRat had a Bryson 6 iron with the XL JumboMax. I hit it a few times and was intrigued by the grip. I spoke a little with Yags about it and what it does to swingweight. He suggested trying the grips without any adjustments for weighting. So, I did the fitting on the JumboMax website and it suggested the XL. I had the Tour Series installed on my driver and the standard JumboMax on my 7 iron. Both grips are much heavier than the Lamkins. Just taking a grip with them, they felt pretty good. So, it was time to test this experiment.

Warming up, I hit my 50 degree well. I was feast or famine with the 7 iron. On the good shots, my usual draw was lessened some and my trajectory and distance seemed the same. On the bad, oh boy! Here, there and everywhere. I'd hit a good one or three, then a stinker or two. I switched to 8 iron and hit some good shots. I went back to the 7 and again experienced good and bad. On the driver, it was a ****show. I was all over the place and never hit even a passable shot. The club felt terrible.

I think it's obvious that I went too big and heavy with the Tour Series XL and the weight of it threw off the balance and swingweight of the driver and the 7 iron, although it didn't seem as out of kilter. My thought now is to try the UltraLight, even though it is a much firmer grip, and maybe drop down a size or two.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has tried these grips and what your thoughts were.

I made the switch to a full set of JumboMax Ultralites before I was selected for the Hogan/UST Experience. I came from Midsize +2 wrap, Tour Velvet. I had hand pain from over griping and pre-arthritis. My ball flight was to over-draw. The "Large" JumboMax grips neutralized my grip and really resulted in straighter ball flight. My miss became a fade/slice. The Ultralight grips are actually lighter than the Tour Velvets. With the Pings being D0...this resulted in my feeling the clubhead at the proper release point much more apparent. I really liked the Jumbo Max with my chipping, it prompts quiet wrists.

I still have these grips on my Driver and "driving iron" (Speedzone 4i). But my new irons and wedges are back to standard grips. I'm uncertain if I will put JumboMax on them or not. THe graphite shafts have helped with the hand pain. and I'm trying to correct my grip without the use of the palm style grip.

The miss is back to over-drawing, however.

No problem. I tried the Ultralite, I don't recall the size and don't care to go searching, but I had similar results. The ball had almost zero curvature, but I had difficulty with face angle/path. I think it's because the ultralites are too lite and increased my swing weight to D8. I think I just lost the feel/location of the clubhead.

I was just reading it:

I bought an UltraLite in XL to test and put it on my 7 iron. I am not put off by the size at all, but they seem to be nearly twice the diameter of my grips. I’ve attached pictures for comparison with my Z-Grip Cord midsize clubs (1 wrap/no build up). They aren’t squishy, but are definitely softer than my cords. They also have a large seam along the bottom that feels almost like a ribbed grip. Not the same, but I could tell it was there.

I hit it some on the range today and the grip definitely provides a different/unique feel. It’s so different even contact sound/feel is strange. I may be like Matt in the TXG test and need to try the medium and/or large sizes because I seemed to hit shots both left and right of my target, whereas I’m usually overdrawing when I miss with my midsize grips. I don’t know if what I saw was due to the grip being too big for me or if I need more sessions with it.

The interesting part was my face and path were very closely aligned for every shot. I saw very little curvature, if any - something that I rarely see with standard or midsize grips. I will be keeping the grip on for the foreseeable future to do some long term testing and will decide on a switch, if any, for the winter.

Good stuff!

I just wish all grip brands would try to come in and a standard weight for each size. It’s crazy how different some can be. That’s likely a big reason why the overwhelming majority of tour players are in Golf Pride grips despite GP not paying anyone to play them.

I just wish all grip brands would try to come in and a standard weight for each size. It’s crazy how different some can be. That’s likely a big reason why the overwhelming majority of tour players are in Golf Pride grips despite GP not paying anyone to play them.
I'm not sure I get the leap that weight of a grip is the big reason why they stay with GP. If I had access to a Pro's club van it does not matter what the weight of the grip is for a given size, just that the builder knows it as Pros are getting clubs built on demand. So changing grips is accounted for in the club build. thus if it changed the weights from their specs...off with the head and adjustments made for the next "perfect set of clubs".

All the manufacturers are good about listing the weights. If that is a huge factor, then you account for it when you get your clubs built.

I'm not sure I get the leap that weight of a grip is the big reason why they stay with GP. If I had access to a Pro's club van it does not matter what the weight of the grip is for a given size, just that the builder knows it as Pros are getting clubs built on demand. So changing grips is accounted for in the club build. thus if it changed the weights from their specs...off with the head and adjustments made for the next "perfect set of clubs".

All the manufacturers are good about listing the weights. If that is a huge factor, then you account for it when you get your clubs built.
And any changes made to offset the grip offset the entire balance and feel of the club. Which is likely why it doesn’t happen.

And any changes made to offset the grip offset the entire balance and feel of the club. Which is likely why it doesn’t happen.
You realize that when they make changes, they get new clubs built, right?

You realize that when they make changes, they get new clubs built, right?
Again. They get their clubs built to the same specs. They aren’t going to change the entire balance of feel of the club just to try a new grip. This isn’t secret information. You can see all of the specs online. For example, Chris Trott with TM post the build specs all the time. Almost nothing changes.

Last edited:
Again. They get their clubs built to the same specs. They aren’t going to change the entire balance of feel of the club just to try a new grip. This isn’t secret information. You can see all of the specs online. For example, Chris Trott with TM post the build specs all the time. Almost nothing changes.

They try new things often. The weight of a grip is not the limiting factor in choosing Golf Pride Grips.

They try new things often. The weight of a grip is not the limiting factor in choosing Golf Pride Grips.
I don’t know who “they” are, but the big names don’t try new things often. The exception being BDC. Tiger has had the same shafts for years, same grips for years, similar irons, same ball, etc. DJ, J Day, Rory, all keeping the majority the same for the the majority of their careers. Down to the length/loft/SW. I can give you a link with all that info available and free to the public.

But if you want to continue to disagree maybe you should start a new thread so this one can get back to the JumboMax grips.

i went to winn oversize, when searching them out in regards to jumbo or oversize, the first thing i did was look at the weight of the grips that are currently on my irons, the next thing i did was look at weights of the jumbo/oversize grips to find one close to the same weight so i wouldnt throw anything off on the clubs. i completely understood that by going to one that was lets say 73 when my current are 53 that was going to put more weight in my hands which leads to a lighter head weight in distributing weight across the club. i guess what im trying to say is i wanted balanced between the 2 ends and not heavy on either side. but some people have gone that direction and its worked for them. heavy in the hands with lighter head may covert to more swing speed or vice versa?
anyways.. i love the jumbo grips, it gives more thickness in the hands and thats what ultimately i was looking for. i have more of a relaxed grip due to theres more there and im not choking the club per say..

Hey @Parrot, like @OITW said, I switched over to these and I have absolutely loved them. I went with the Str8 Tech in medium, because it was the only one available from Cobra, and I was ordering a single club for some testing and figured I'd try the grips as well.

I will second what Yags had to say about testing and worrying about SW later. I would agree with you, that maybe you went too big at first. I would suggest trying out a couple different ones, including the UltraLite if you are concerned about the swing weight.

As for getting used to them, I put in a bunch of range sessions, hitting that one club, before really getting comfortable with it. I did KNOW that I liked it immediately, but like anything, the results aren't instant or magic. It will likely be a bit more of an adjustment with the driver than the irons, I found this to be true for myself.

I do love them though and don't see myself switching anytime soon. My impact position is much more square than before, my misses are a lot narrower horizontally, and I do feel more confident over each shot.

Hey @Parrot, like @OITW said, I switched over to these and I have absolutely loved them. I went with the Str8 Tech in medium, because it was the only one available from Cobra, and I was ordering a single club for some testing and figured I'd try the grips as well.

I will second what Yags had to say about testing and worrying about SW later. I would agree with you, that maybe you went too big at first. I would suggest trying out a couple different ones, including the UltraLite if you are concerned about the swing weight.

As for getting used to them, I put in a bunch of range sessions, hitting that one club, before really getting comfortable with it. I did KNOW that I liked it immediately, but like anything, the results aren't instant or magic. It will likely be a bit more of an adjustment with the driver than the irons, I found this to be true for myself.

I do love them though and don't see myself switching anytime soon. My impact position is much more square than before, my misses are a lot narrower horizontally, and I do feel more confident over each shot.
I really appreciate the feedback. I’m going to give it some more time.

I gave the xl go this early spring and hated them. Played one round a some 80 range balls. Took them off (benefit of installing grips with air!) and sent them back to Amazon.
They actually screwed up my swing to where I developed a bad draw It felt like they were going to fly out of my hands and I was really gripping the club at impact and turning it over.
Jumbomax had a sale on black friday & I bought xs grips (pink) which are a touch bigger than my Winn oversize I play.
Putting them on in the morning to play later Saturday. For $65 shipped for 13 grips I couldn't pass it up.

I’m back to playing the Ultralight in large on my driver. It’s kind of interesting in that on my Ping G410 it works great for me. I tried it on my EF SZ and really struggled with it. All of my other clubs I use regular type grips in jumbo or mid. It definitely allows me to loosen my grip when swinging driver. I have 3 more JumboMax grips that I can experiment with. I intended to install them on all my woods but have not taken that plunge yet.

I have been playing the JumboMax Original Wrap grips for a few months now. I must say, I don't think I will EVER go back to "normal" puny grips (even so-called "mid size") ever again. The control and comfort is unparalleled. I have decently large hands (XL gloves) and have the LG size on all my clubs.

When I first put it on my fairway wood, I absolutely ripped one down the middle off the tee. It seems to mute the effects of an open or closed clubface, so even on misses my dispersion is still reasonably tight. Every now and then, I will experience a wild hook but that is the indian not the arrow.

My wedge game has improved since using the grips. The LG size adds a bit of weight, but I find it appreciable on touch shots. Iron play has also benefitted from using them. I have gained speed and really feel like I am compressing the ball.

I gripped a set of PINGs lying around with the Mediums. The Larges fill my hand a bit better, although they are a bit heavier.

The grips make the club feel powerful in hand. It really inspires confidence. They are also durable. I keep a moist towel and pat down the grips between shots and the wraps tack up nicely.

An added benefit is that while it does add total weight to the club, it isn't that noticeable when swinging. I pick up a club with a "normal" size grip and I absolutely hate the feel. It makes me want to rely more on my hands, which causes me to shorten my swing and stop short of a full rotation. No bueno.

Another added benefit is the hand and wrist strength you will build from playing them, which makes it easier to manipulate and control the club face. I can hit a screaming punch/stinger from 210 with a 4 iron like never before (that goes no higher than about 10' off the ground).

In sum, it is in my view that most players would benefit from bucking convention and using larger grips.

#SponsorMeJumboMax

Last edited:
I am getting one put on my driver this week.
I will give it a try.

Back