JumboMax UL Grips - TXG Test

-CRW-

Reaction score
Another video that shows there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to grip size, this time testing Bryson DeChambeau's JumboMax JMX UltraLite (BDC plays the XL/~50 gm):

This video actually pushed me over the edge to order one to test. I know it's one test by one person, but that near 50% decrease in dispersion is enough to pique my interest. I already play midsize grips and wear an XL glove, so I'm going with the XL/50 gram version. I'm just not sure what club to put it on - driver, mid iron, short iron, wedge?

Here's an older one with a few sizes of more traditional grips for those that missed it from TXG back in 2018:

No one was more surprised by the benefits of these grips than myself. I play the JumboMax Tour Medium now.

Less tension and seemingly more consistent results.

Another video from TXG regarding grip size showing how larger sizes can actually neutralize your path as well:

this keeps telling me that I should bit the bullet and make the change.....

The biggest problem with those grips is getting them all in your bag. haha.

I just saw the video also. Interesting that using Jumbo grip makes you hit higher on club face. Scientifically it doesn’t register in my brain but it’s very interesting.
I could understand bigger grip reduce club face rotation but high on club face is difficult to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just saw the video also. Interesting that using Jumbo grip makes you hit higher on club face. Scientifically it doesn’t register in my brain but it’s very interesting.
I could understand bigger grip reduce club face rotation but high on club face is difficult to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it was more about feel and/or fit for Matt because he didn’t have that problem with the JumboMax Mediums and those grips are still substantially larger than standard grips. More evidence of this was him thinning the undersize grips. They didn’t show the impact location but there is a brief section of him hitting a few shots with the undersize in between the standard and jumbomax and he comments that they all felt like good swings but were super thin.

On Monday I played 9 holes with a JumboMax Large grip on my old TM 2007 Burner (my standby driver). Out of 6 drives four were about average, and two were 15-20 yards longer than my usual drive, and they all went fairly straight.
I'm playing tomorrow with a JumboMax Large grip on my TM M4 driver, and am anxious to see the results.

Almost makes me want to keep the midsize grip on the driver shaft I just retipped. Almost.

Well, those are some pretty interesting findings. If there was a quick and easy way for me to test, I'd probably give it a go, but my swing isn't nearly consistent enough anyway.

I switched my entire bag to JumboMax Str8 Tech (Arccos!) over the winter, after some range testing with a single club. I absolutely love them, the feel is great, they're comfortable, and my impact has been more square than it was before. I still have bad swings that slice a bit, but otherwise I'm hitting the ball dead straight much more consistently. And even those slices are better because the start line is straighter than before.

Well, those are some pretty interesting findings. If there was a quick and easy way for me to test, I'd probably give it a go, but my swing isn't nearly consistent enough anyway.

I had my clubs re-gripped a few months ago so they are still in great shape. So I plan to just switch a single club and spend a few months with it to see how it goes. I’m just not sure which club.

My experience with the JumboMax and my Taylor Made M4 driver was limited to 4 swings today. I need more swings to tune it in better as every drive went high and to the right. However I did play 18 with my old TM 2007 burner with the JumboMax large grip and had some good results - better than with the grip it replaced.

Hi All,

First time poster/Long time lurker.

Here's my Jumbomax story. I was going stir crazy at home so I put on my mask and dropped into a golf shop in Scottsdale AZ that's not too far from my home. Wasn't looking to buy anything, just wanted out of the house and to kill a little time pretending I was getting new clubs. I was walking around the store and picked up one of the Jumbomax and a sales guy walked up to me offering to help. I asked him about the grip and he proceeded to just trash the product - 'you'll slice everything, it's a gimmick, they're poorly made' - this guy came up with every knock you could imagine. As I drove home it really started to tick me off how this sales guy acted, so I decided to write to the company to tell them about the kind of "support" they were getting at this major franchise chain. So I sent an email and I got a response within an hour. To say the least, the folks at Jumbomax weren't happy. We had a little back-and-forth on the details of what happened, with the kicker being they offered me a free grip to try.

They shipped me a Jumbomax Ultralite - Large (I wear an XL glove). I'm 62 years old, been playing on and off since I was a kid, I'm 6'3" and play to about a 16 when I can find the fairway with my driver. The driver is my problem club - my club head speed on the monitors runs about 98-101. So when I miss, my ball gets into trouble in a hurry. I can put it out there 250-265 without too much effort, but when it goes off the rails, it's 150 straight plus 100 to the right; lately I've been missing to the right a lot.

After the grip arrived I had it popped on at a different shop (replaced a CP2 midsize). First impression is that it does feels weird - baseball bat handle weird, but the grip is Winn soft and nice and tacky - you could swing it with or without a glove. Weight was not an issue with the ultralite. Warming up before my round on Sunday, everything was going straight - no draw, no hook, no fade, no slice - just straight. If there was a problem it was that I was pulling the ball. I hit driver 12 times - 1 toe-shot blocked right, 1 slice when I tried to get a hole-in-one on a par 5 ;), and 10 shots down the left side. Distance was in the 265-270 range and, from the marks on the driver face, I was catching the ball pretty close to the center. (My guess is I was coming over the top a bit but had a closed face at impact - therefore the pulls).

Short version: The grip is staying on the driver. The only downside is that my irons with their 'regular' mid-sized grips now feel like junior clubs. So, am I in the honeymoon period? Maybe. But it feels like love right now. I'm playing this coming Sunday and I'll update you after that round.

Back