Just had a lesson with Mike Adams, Top 5 golf instructor

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
I was watching some YouTube videos, and his name came up.

His instructing style and philosophy resonated with me.

He is the 2016 PGA National Teacher of the Year and a member of the World Golf Teachers Hall of Fame.

I looked him up and he teaches at a private course 5 minutes form my office.

I figured I would give him a try.

Went to the facility and warmed up.

He asked me to give him an overview of who I am as a golfer.

He then measured me, using his system, and he told me that my natural swing would be steeper and it would be more difficult to get in to out.

He watched me hit 1 ball, then described my game to me, and he was dead on all around. He told me what my good shots look like, what my miss was, what I work on to correct it, etc. It was crazy.

He then took me to a device he had. It was a pole in the ground, with a club on the end of another pole, hinging at both ends.

He had me swing with this device to get the feel of a proper in to out and layoff at the top.

We went back into the hitting bay and put those feels into use.

He adjusted my stance to more closed, which felt much more natural, used some interesting tools to get me feeling the right hand firing, and bango!

I was half swinging and hitting my normal distances, with a pretty little draw on it.

He then had me pick up the tempo, and I was absolutely nutting the ball. I was putting my 5h (165 club) out to 190+ with some 200s in there. Smash was 1.5 on most of them. The swing felt effortless, and that pretty little draw was there.

Now, I did push some, I did hook some, but we analyzed why and how to correct.

Top notch instructor, who taught me cold, with no knowledge of my game, etc, and made an immediate improvement.

Of course I have to take this to the range and bring it into my game, but very impressed overall.

It was a pricey lesson, but well worth it in my mind.

He is the 2016 PGA National Teacher of the Year and a member of the World Golf Teachers Hall of Fame.

He then measured me, using his system, and he told me that my natural swing would be steeper and it would be more difficult to get in to out.

He watched me hit 1 ball, then described my game to me, and he was dead on all around. He told me what my good shots look like, what my miss was, what I work on to correct it, etc. It was crazy.

He then took me to a device he had. It was a pole in the ground, with a club on the end of another pole, hinging at both ends.

He had me swing with this device to get the feel of a proper in to out and layoff at the top.

He adjusted my stance to more closed, which felt much more natural, used some interesting tools to get me feeling the right hand firing, and bango!

I was half swinging and hitting my normal distances, with a pretty little draw on it.

He then had me pick up the tempo, and I was absolutely nutting the ball. I was putting my 5h (165 club) out to 190+ with some 200s in there. Smash was 1.5 on most of them. The swing felt effortless, and that pretty little draw was there.

Top notch instructor, who taught me cold, with no knowledge of my game, etc, and made an immediate improvement.

Of course I have to take this to the range and bring it into my game, but very impressed overall.

How was this accomplished? I have that issue as well.

Glad to see it worked out for you

If you don't mind me asking, what did he charge for 1 session?

How was this accomplished? I have that issue as well.

Glad to see it worked out for you
Happy to answer, but I don't understand which part you are asking about

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Happy to answer, but I don't understand which part you are asking about

How did you get the feeling of the right hand firing? What did he suggest you do? Any magical move?

How did you get the feeling of the right hand firing? What did he suggest you do? Any magical move?
Got it.

Nope, no magic thing, just eliminating the left hand leading and making sure to fire the right.

He guided me and used some funky tools to get there, like a boxing glove and a paddle attached to my had with rubber bands.

$350

Interesting, how long was the session?

Do you plan on doing any more lessons with him, or did just the 1 lesson give you all the tools/drills you need to make the swing improvements you were hoping to see?

Interesting, how long was the session?

Do you plan on doing any more lessons with him, or did just the 1 lesson give you all the tools/drills you need to make the swing improvements you were hoping to see?
It was a full hour.

Yes, I will go to him again, but at that rate it won't be very often, to be honest. But I can see myself seeing him a few times a year.

He was featured in an episode of Chris Como's Swing Expedition. He had some interesting thoughts and swing test/fit methods.

@millsan1 that is fantastic!

very important to find an instructor with a philosophy and teaching method that resonates with you.

What are the drills he has you working on to ingrain the changes he gave you?

@millsan1 that is fantastic!

very important to find an instructor with a philosophy and teaching method that resonates with you.

What are the drills he has you working on to ingrain the changes he gave you?
No drills really, but his input has allowed me to accept that I will be a bit steep, and it is not bad.

I am 5'10" and have the wingspan of a 6'2" person. I also have slightly longer forearms. Those two things will equal a steeper swing. He didn't even try to adjust that.

His input also gave me confirmation that a closed stance is not only OK for me, it works well.

He also confirmed the right had is to be the dominant hand for me.

In reality, he just confirmed a few things I suspected, and gave me input on making my swing, my swing. Of course he gave me two points to concentrate on, one being path, the other driving with the right hand.

No drills really, but his input has allowed me to accept that I will be a bit steep, and it is not bad.

I am 5'10" and have the wingspan of a 6'2" person. I also have slightly longer forearms. Those two things will equal a steeper swing. He didn't even try to adjust that.

His input also gave me confirmation that a closed stance is not only OK for me, it works well.

He also confirmed the right had is to be the dominant hand for me.

In reality, he just confirmed a few things I suspected, and gave me input on making my swing, my swing. Of course he gave me two points to concentrate on, one being path, the other driving with the right hand.

Do you think you will see him again? Go with a lesson plan/package?

Do you think you will see him again? Go with a lesson plan/package?

Yeah, but maybe once a quarter, at the price point. I COULD swing it, but that is a lot of cheddar.

I asked about packages and he basically laughed at me, LOL

@millsan1 good for you. Glad you really got something out of this and sounds like it was a great experience. Good instruction is so worth its weight in gold in my opinion. But one has to take that "change" and work to implement it.

Cant wait to see how you progress with your changes

Sounds like an amazing experience!

Took the lesson to the sim last night and it really helped. It is time for me to accept that I have to have somewhat of a non standard setup to get the results.

I have a 3 day tournament in a couple weeks. Daily range/sim time in the immediate forecast. Hope to get this dialed in enough to use it in the field of battle.

On a side note, the CF-19 Forged irons are straight butter.

What he is saying resonates quite a bit with me, I am definitely side-on at release. Yet, when I watch videos on YouTube I usually see 2 ideologies pushed for the downswing, the waiter (under) and the other is where you keep your right wrist over the top and it is coming down at impact. The whole thing had me really confused and frustrated.

What I ended up finding out naturally is I needed to remove most of my forearm rotation and flatten my wrist by the time I got to parallel, then keep the flattened wrist through impact. Which is essentially what he is calling side-on in the backswing and at impact.

Definitely going to have to check out more of his work.

I do like Mike Adams and EA Tischler as they delve into biomechanical patterns that might suit the unique body make-up of golfers.

I 've read on another golf forum that Mike is going to publish a book soon called 'The Matrix Of The Golf Swing' that goes into more detail (which might be worth buying if you wish to learn more about biomechanics).

From a personal standpoint I have done the tests using a 'template' and found out what biomechanical pattern fitted me , but guess what? It was the same 'pattern' as me just swinging perpetually in rhythm without strain. I really didn't need to do the tests at all.

Try just getting some old clubs and focus on swing throwing them to a distant target with each arm and then both arms , without strain and in balance. Video it and you'll find your correct swing plane , your best posture/stance/alignment/balance points.

If your interested in how complicated it can become to work out your own unique biomechanical pattern check out my blog on the 'Wisdom In Golf' forum link below:

That sounds very worthwhile. I'm glad it got you heading in the right direction!

I remember him from when he was head of instruction at PGA National years ago.

It is time for me to accept that I have to have somewhat of a non standard setup to get the results.

I kind of love hearing someone say this.

Hi Millsan1

I know this is an old thread , but just interested to find out whether you have continued to take lessons from Mike Adams and whether you've seen an improvement in your golf swing using his 'body patterning' biomechanics?

It is refreshing to see an instructor work on a swing for you. In my experience too many try to make you swing like the pros which I always believed is a mistake for most people.

Back