Just When You Think You've Seen Everything

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
Got out yesterday for my first 18 of the 21 season. I played at a course call Blackberry Oaks in Bristol, Illinois. Most every bunker on the course had tarps around them. I suppose it's a fairly common practice for courses to try and protect the bunkers in the winter. First time I've ever seen it though.

Seems I cant post any pics lately, THP won't let me. Says they are too big.

20210321_154746 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Glad you got out.

Got out yesterday for my first 18 of the 21 season. I played at a course call Blackberry Oaks in Bristol, Illinois. Most every bunker on the course had tarps around them. I suppose it's a fairly common practice for courses to try and protect the bunkers in the winter. First time I've ever seen it though.

I have the Posting Pic thing from time to time and found out that its because the Apple Pics are no longer ".jpeg" Seems like if i move the pic to my desktop, it auto converts it to jpeg and i can post it just fine....then i delete from desktop. Apple pics are now "heif"

Is there any size limit when posting pictures on THP?

Could you putt out the bunkers like a giant slide?

We have some kind of grass growing tarp over 2 of our chewed up tee boxes right now. I don't know how they work, but a few years ago they did it around the apron of 2 greens and they have looked good since then.

We have some kind of grass growing tarp over 2 of our chewed up tee boxes right now. I don't know how they work, but a few years ago they did it around the apron of 2 greens and they have looked good since then.
I’ve seen courses here in New England put tarps over the greens at the end of the season, before the snow flies. In the Spring, the tarps are pulled off and it’s crazy how green the greens are. Very odd... down side.... greens are closed until removal in the Spring. I guess it is supposed protect against ice damage and give a jump start for Spring growth ? but still remains a controversial practice and akin to voodoo for many. Me ? I’m no agronomist, and won’t pretend to be.

View attachment 8999228
Those are, typically, wildlife barriers.

Never saw that. Seen tarps to protect greens over the winter.
Maybe it's to prevent atv's or snowmobiles from using them as jumps in the winter when the course is snow covered?

Never seen that before either. Very interesting. Wow.

I've never seen that either

I vote this in as a permanent change.

Never seen that before. Are they full of fresh sand? One of the local courses here put in fresh sand right before a particularly windy stretch and ended up having to re-do some of them. Maybe they're to keep the wind from blowing them out?

Back