NEWS Justin Rose Removing Honma Clubs

He better move quickly.....Augusta looms!

And so it begins.

More proof that I believe Honma has no clue what they are doing direction wise now.

They were making strong steady progress. Then the next thing you know, the old TM crew of King and Kawaja are taking over, the previous crew is leaving and they are moving to Carlsbad. Fast forward 24 months and this is virtually the only company news.

UPDATE

I just spoke to someone that is out there and he is having a lot of clubs being built by tour vans currently. I would venture a guess that every company out there is having some stuff put together for trial.

Very interesting. Rose has always always been someone to tinker, but I wonder what the real reason is. I think there has to be something more politically driven. Meaning confrontation with Honma brass. They build very nice equipment and I am sure they can build him whatever he wants.

That being said. I think this will be a bit of a blow to a brand that was gaining traction in markets outside of Asia.

I wonder what he will end up with?

I was wondering about that after seeing him hit SIM driver at Honda...

@JB I have so many thoughts. :censored:

Seems to me that this can be more of a psychological /comfort issue more than an equipment issue. With the technology offered today to the major OEM's, I would think that new equipment can get pretty dialed in

@JB I have so many thoughts. :censored:

Me too sir.
When someone from a Tour Van called me “Honma News”, I had a feeling what it might be.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Rose signed with them because some former Taylormade people went to Honma after TM was purchased by the equity group correct?

Will be interesting to see what he goes with & if it helps his confidence.

I mean, they didn't exactly take advantage of having the former #1 (was he current #1 when he signed?)

The only thing I do find odd though is that he spoke in an interview about how they essentially gave him all of the resources for him to shape the equipment how he wanted.

Either way, I've been a big Rose fan since I started golfing, really hope he gets back in a good spot.

His stats for the last few years.

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 12.05.48 PM.png

Not sure what would be an improvement. If he goes back to his old clubs then perhaps it is a mental thing and he wants something familiar.
He did switch to Honma to get better, so switching back would clearly make him worse

@JB Think this goes back to the issues that we talked about with Brooks... Player is performing well and then all of a sudden hits a slump. Only thing it could be would be the equipment. Always blame the arrow and never the indian. Bad new for Honma and Rose better perform or all of a sudden its not the arrow, but perhaps could be the indian.

Rose wins the Fed Ex Cup, climbs to No. 1 in the World, signs with Honma, drops to 13th within a year, and now wants out of his contract. That cannot be good for the brand...

It happens all the time with these tour guys. Sign a big equipment deal and fall off the planet. Anyone ever heard of camilo Villegas? Was with Cobra, looked like the next big thing. Won two events in the Fedex cup play offs in one year. Then signed with Taylormade and disappeared.

Lots of reasons including injuries for that fall off but still.

Rose wins the Fed Ex Cup, climbs to No. 1 in the World, signs with Honma, drops to 13th within a year, and now wants out of his contract. That cannot be good for the brand...
But, won in his first couple starts with them. Something here took a nothing but positive situation and nose dived it.

His stats for the last few years.

View attachment 8930347
OhsweetJesus that looks terrible when it's in front of you like that. Yikes.

Him changing, and the all the stuff about the relationships and changes doesn't look great for Honma, but he'll have to perform with whatever he eventually goes with. 'Cause even if it's a little bit the clubs, it's definitely not all the clubs. Everyone bet on him continuing to play well, and he just hasn't.

You are talking about Mark King. He left Honma in August to be CEO of Taco Bell.
I guess that made it easy for Justin To "Run for the Border"(bad pun)..lol

@JB Think this goes back to the issues that we talked about with Brooks... Player is performing well and then all of a sudden hits a slump. Only thing it could be would be the equipment. Always blame the arrow and never the indian. Bad new for Honma and Rose better perform or all of a sudden its not the arrow, but perhaps could be the indian.

My personal take is not in this situation. He was with a company for a long time. The CEO of TaylorMade left years ago and went to adidas North America. Rose was up for renewal. At the same time, that same CEO was brought into Honma as a consultant and the rest is history. Rose signs with Honma, King leaves for Taco Bell. Kawaja put in charge. Next couple of launches don’t go all that well (In my opinion).

Now here he is looking at some new equipment.

I wondered how long it would take. i feel like his game took a dip when these went into the bag.
It does seem like he's falling quite a bit since that shift

My personal take is not in this situation. He was with a company for a long time. The CEO of TaylorMade left years ago and went to adidas North America. Rose was up for renewal. At the same time, that same CEO was brought into Honma as a consultant and the rest is history. Rose signs with Honma, King leaves for Taco Bell. Kawaja put in charge. Next couple of launches don’t go all that well (In my opinion).

Now here he is looking at some new equipment.
Ahhhh interesting... glad you have the timeline. Appreciate you!🏆👀

Back