NEWS Justin Rose Removing Honma Clubs

Does this remind anyone when Phil went from Titleist to Callaway? If memory serves me right Phil was not playing bad with Titleist but was not getting the #1 staffer attention he felt he deserved.

Does this remind anyone when Phil went from Titleist to Callaway? If memory serves me right Phil was not playing bad with Titleist but was not getting the #1 staffer attention he felt he deserved.

this seems different to me, at least in the early stages. But I'm sure more details will be coming out about this

Going off memory I believe his deal with Honma is for somewhere around 8-10 clubs. But that is what I was told at the signing and I am old and might be slightly off.
Yeah, I think that was right, but my memory is....well...old. Haha

In other news...New Clubs, JR didnt break par.

He had it going for a bit, then ran in to some issues on the 5th. Ended up playing a shot off a rock.

Ummmm....maybe the indian does have something to do with it.

Mostly TM bag I'm assuming considering he already had the SIM in the bag. Based on today's highlights appears to be SIM fairways as well and Taylormade Proto MB's?

I think Phil went from Titleist to Yonex. Then he went to Callaway.

Saw this in a Yahoo Sports Ad.

This week at the Arnold Palmer Invitational, however, Rose left little doubt that his time with Honma is all but certain to be over as he is playing a TaylorMade TP5 ball, 10.5-degree TaylorMade SIM driver, 15-degree TaylorMade SIM Max fairway wood, Cobra Speedzone Pro 17.5-degree 5-wood; his old TaylorMade P730 irons (4-PW) and two TaylorMade Milled Grind 2.0 wedges (52, 56 degrees) along with a Titleist Vokey lob wedge and an Axis 1 putter.

I mean, do we even know if the change was due to equipment performance?

We don't but I'm just implying his play probably will not improve solely due to a change in equipment

Case of the Indian and not the arrow here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Rose but agree with the comment above that it’s the Indian rather than the arrows. He is either red hot or cold and at the minute he is cold. Lack of confidence in his clubs will be playing a part which is why his bag was back full of TM. Once he is putting well again and sorted his other jiggles he will be back contending.

I would expect a statement from Honma coming in the next few days.

Assuming all this is because of the equipment and Contracts aside, isn’t Rose doing what we all as amateurs do...when things don’t go our way we swap equipment and look into new things trying to find an answer?

Not me
I know I suck and the new clubs aren't going to help but you'd be hard pressed to find me with the same 14 in the bag for more than say...... 3 rounds without something changing

Not me
I know I suck and the new clubs aren't going to help but you'd be hard pressed to find me with the same 14 in the bag for more than say...... 3 rounds without something changing

Then I guess I would say don’t sign a contract to get paid to do that, right?
With that said, the reason that this one is so interesting is it reminds me a bit about a kid signing on to play for a school and then the coach leaving before he gets there.

The flip side being that he is a professional and charges a lot to use his likeness. He pimps grips, clubs, and everything else under the sun for a fee and there is nothing wrong with that. But if you sign on the dotted line, barring them violating that somehow, play it or give them the money back.

Then I guess I would say don’t sign a contract to get paid to do that, right?
With that said, the reason that this one is so interesting is it reminds me a bit about a kid signing on to play for a school and then the coach leaving before he gets there.

The flip side being that he is a professional and charges a lot to use his likeness. He pimps grips, clubs, and everything else under the sun for a fee and there is nothing wrong with that. But if you sign on the dotted line, barring them violating that somehow, play it or give them the money back.

Kind of reminds me of this...

0711513b2fbcd0b32772051f24d28219.jpg

But if you sign on the dotted line, barring them violating that somehow, play it or give them the money back.

i'm sure there are some financial penalties for breach, and that's fine. but if you're saying he should give ALL the money back, i'm not sure that's fair. his likeness gave honma the ability to grow and market themselves to be a larger force in the western and maybe European markets. there was mutual benefit. maybe a prorated penalty.

i'm sure there are some financial penalties for breach, and that's fine. but if you're saying he should give ALL the money back, i'm not sure that's fair. his likeness gave honma the ability to grow and market themselves to be a larger force in the western and maybe European markets. there was mutual benefit. maybe a prorated penalty.

Absolutely. To play devil’s advocate, let’s say you sign a player and you are working with in a slow build towards the big climax of a launch. He is working wearing the logo during that time, but the payoff hasn’t come yet. What do you do?

The damage from walking could be much larger than any logo wearing and minor appearances that have been done to date, right?

I want to note I am speaking hypothetically.

Back