Justin Thomas thread

the bigger news is who will step in and outfit him. Obviously he has the money to outfit himself and he could very well just wear RL just not a paid sponsor.
I was talking to a PR friend of mine who said this.

“If he ends up back in RL before year is up, know this was an image mandate from RL to make a statement while still supporting player.”

Cancel culture is striking again. He made a mistake and apologized.

I am not surprised, yet sort of baffled at how badly he's been put on blast for this - like some sort of sensitivity training is going to save him. He used a word that, growing up, was pretty damn common around school kids in both Canada and the US for me, straight into college, beyond college, and continues pretty much every year. I'd be shocked if more than 10% of the people reading this thread haven't used it in the way he has at some time or another. I'd bet most were just using a word that was defined as 'negative' not one that references a sexual preference.

Not using those words is a choice. For pros, a pretty damn good choice. I get that in a split second, in the moment, you pick a word you don't want to be called, and call yourself it. He picked the wrong one 100% in this case, and he owned it (as he damn well should have).

But come on. All this cancel culture BS is taking things like this waaaaay too far.
Very well said.

I was talking to a PR friend of mine who said this.

“If he ends up back in RL before year is up, know this was an image mandate from RL to make a statement while still supporting player.”

the way I read that release statement was they are putting him in a sponsor “timeout” for a while and then bring him back when this dies down.

Man, he lost a private sponsor, not like he was kicked off the tour. PR move by RL, they even left it open.

Curious of there's a hand shake agreement here behind closed doors.

the way I read that release statement was they are putting him in a sponsor “timeout” for a while and then bring him back when this dies down.
The PR person I spoke to works at a company that did the same for another athlete. Public impression matters a lot, and smoke and mirrors normally does the trick.

The PR person I spoke to works at a company that did the same for another athlete. Public impression matters a lot, and smoke and mirrors normally does the trick.
Funny that is exactly what I thought of when I saw the loss of sponsorship. They are a big battle with so many eyes watching. It's like hey we outfit a top pga player, we like the relationship but need to say we stand behind equality and inclusion. Why don't we take a break, we will get you back, don't worry and don't sign another deal this will blown over.

I wonder if under armour or nike/adidas came in and offered to match him tomorrow, as a player do you make that change.

This will be a learning opportunity. Hard to understand how that word is in his vocabulary.

Whoa. That's kinda big news.
Is it? I thought it was inevitable. You can't say stuff like that in 2021 and not have companies avoid having their image tarnished by associating with you.

I think it sucks that one word muttered to yourself on the course is enough to get canceled, and I think it sucks that the Tour allows those words to be televised by the broadcasting team covering the event, but it seems like it'll continue to happen.

...and I still think, of course, that he shouldn't have said it. That should go without saying, but I feel like i need to repeat it.

This will be a learning opportunity. Hard to understand how that word is in his vocabulary.
It is, all things considered, very hard to believe people still bother to use words like that.

It's also baffling to me that the tour and the broadcast team would allow words like that to be presented to their audience.

Time to cancel LR. People can no longer make mistakes? Are we no longer human? Did he kill someone? This man said one word under his breath. He immediately and gracefully apologized for it, made no excuses and this is the result.
You’ll never see this man buy another RL product again.

It is, all things considered, very hard to believe people still bother to use words like that.

It's also baffling to me that the tour and the broadcast team would allow words like that to be presented to their audience.

I agree with you, and you hear this all the time, especially at sporting events. I think Justin let it slip in the heat of the moment and it isn’t reflective of him or his personality. It’s regrettable and I’m sure he will learn from it. I think he handled it the right way with the apology

Agreed!!! You have to be aware of what words come out of your mouth & what shouldn’t. At the same time these guys need to be extra aware especially with how these hot mics & the media is focused on daggering folks.

I agree with you, and you hear this all the time, especially at sporting events. I think Justin let it slip in the heat of the moment and it isn’t reflective of him or his personality. It’s regrettable and I’m sure he will learn from it. I think he handled it the right way with the apology
I think it's pretty safe to say that word is gone from his vocab (and of course it should be).

That is correct. How is there not a dump button? Your discussion with JB today was good.

RL believes in the dignity of all people, yet I bet most of their product is made in sweatshops and in countries in which its illegal to be homosexual

Time to cancel LR. People can no longer make mistakes? Are we no longer human? Did he kill someone? This man said one word under his breath. He immediately and gracefully apologized for it, made no excuses and this is the result.
You’ll never see this man buy another RL product again.
There are a lot of takes but this one goes a bit far in my opinion. It isn’t just about him and it isn’t within his control anymore.

People can mistakes but they have to accept consequences. It looks like JT will, which I commend.

I’m a bit surprised here too. There are so many better things to say with much more panache.

You guys are why I normally keep these discussions on THP vs social. I'm regretting saying anything at all about it on twitter.
You mean a mildly civil discussion or even disagreement doesn’t have to involve mentions of the third reich? Who knew?!

You mean a mildly civil discussion or even disagreement doesn’t have to involve mentions of the third reich? Who knew?!
yeah, mostly that.

But also that I don't have to limit my perspective, no I can attack more than one 'issue' - and of course there's room at the end of every post here to say that only an idiot would use that word in 2021 (or I suppose beyond puberty when they learn what it represents lol).

The thought of "he apologized once he found out it was broadcast" seems a lot like every parent who's ever asked their kid "are you sorry because you did _____ or because you got caught?" I sure hope he eliminates it from his vocabulary and mind, but considering this was a topic he commented on a year ago (the mics) and this still happens, I'm not sure how optimistic to be.

Back